RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Can Campfires with a one pound canister?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Can Campfires with a one pound canister?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
GizmosMom

Central Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/12 10:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been researching portable campfires.

I see that there is an adapter on the market that will allow use of a one pound canister with some of these portable campfires.

We travel in a small Class B van and storage is an issue. We do not have one of those large propane canisters.

Does anyone use the adapter and the one pound canister with Campfire in a Can? Or with the Little Red Campfire? And if you do, does it work effectively? I know that the propane will go quickly using the one pound canisters but that is all we have room for.

Thanks.

Marilyn w/ Joe, 2000 Xplorer Class B van, usually pulling a Ranger bass boat.
Smudge, (in photo) a Shih Tzu/Yorkie Mix and Gizmo is waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/12 10:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wonder if an adapter like the Steak Saver would come in handy. That way, if it has a 20# connector, you can use the adapter and a one pound container.

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/12 11:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you would have to carry quite a few 1 lb. canisters. my Campfire in a can "does" use some propane. You might be better off with a 5 lb. or 11 lb. tank. Smaller but not cheap. But, buying 1 lb. canisters will add up pretty fast!

Pauljdav

Everett, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/12 04:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bob213 wrote:

I think you would have to carry quite a few 1 lb. canisters. my Campfire in a can "does" use some propane. You might be better off with a 5 lb. or 11 lb. tank. Smaller but not cheap. But, buying 1 lb. canisters will add up pretty fast!

I agree. My lil red campfire uses a LOT of propane. I do have a small refillable tank and this works quite well.

JLTN_James

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/12 04:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was looking at one a few months ago (can't remember the make & model), and specs said it would run "up to 8 hours" on a 20# cylinder. I can only assume that would be on the lowest setting. Wouldn't get much time on a 1# cylinder. Just some info for your use.

2004 Toyota Tundra SR5 (V8, 4WD, TP, TRD)
2005 Fleetwod Allegance with axle flip
Honeywell 2000i Generator

Me, DW, DS, DD, & Chicken-Dog

timc1207

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/12 11:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the little red campfire; you will use a lot of1 pound cans with it. I have a 20 pouder I use with mine and run a fire for 2-3 hours every night we camp. Depending on how high you run your flame you will probably use 1-2 cans a day on a mediium-+ setting with it.

With that said I do love that little red campfire!

2008 Forest River Wildwood Le 27BHBS - 2010 Dodge 2500 Laramie Mega cab 6.7L Cummins diesel, Flo-Pro exhaust, XRT Pro tuner, Mygig Lock Pick, Access tonneau cover, Ranch Hand grill guard, KC daylighters.

rgolding

Southern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/12 07:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Couldn't you achieve the same affect by lighting a can of "sterno"?

Smooth Sailing,
Ric and Jan

2005 ARCTIC FOX 30U "Life's Good!"
2009 Chevy 2500HD Diesel w/ Allison Transmission

GizmosMom

Central Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/12 07:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all of the replies. I know that it will cost us...but those cans are relatively inexpensive compared to the camp fire wood we usually purchase at a National Forest campground. I believe that last year we paid $6.00 for a bundle of wood.

Would still like to hear from anyone who uses an adapter and the one pounder

Searching_Ut

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/12 10:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've got one of the adapters that I've used a couple times with my little red campfire a couple of times with the smaller disposable tanks. If you keep the fire on a fairly low setting you can get about an hour of use. I didn't really time it, and the the tanks I was using weren't necessarily full. They were tanks we had used for the grill that were then slowly leaking when disconnected. Rather than just let them leak down we used them on the fire.

Most of the time I take a 20 lbs tank in the back of the truck for the grill and fire, although I do have high pressure fitting on one of the TT tanks that I tap off of if we want the fire basically under the awning area of our campsite.

The adapters are cheap, and good to have around so just get one and give it a try. If you're only looking to have a fire for an hour or so in the evening it will probably work out fine for you. If you're looking for a big fire to stay warm around, you're going to really blow through the tanks though.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 10:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

unless you use a very low flame, your drawing propane to fast from the small 1lb or even 5 lb cans. What will happen is the bottle will get to cold as the propane boils, and you won't get all the propane all out. The flame will go out and the bottle will be very cold, even freezing, since propane boils as something like -40F. the when it warms back up you'll be able to get more propanee out of it. They really need to draw from a 20lb bottle or bigger to not draw propane at to high a rate.

some of these propane campfires put out about 60K BTU. that is about 3/4 gallons of propane/hr. at full flame.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Can Campfires with a one pound canister?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS