RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Ballpark $.00 for a 40' DP tires set of six?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Ballpark $.00 for a 40' DP tires set of six?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
pondigger

Wi

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/12 01:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello...it's me again....what is the dollar cost of a new set of tires on a 40' DP....a range of cost would be great from good to top of the line tires....would YOU....automatically put new tires on a coach that's 8 years old with only 26,000 miles on it....I know it sat in a florida RV park for 5 years when in use and a storage place down there when they weren't using it.....second question...how often do you have to do a brake job on a 40 footer and what's a brake job run?...continuing my research....thank you very much for all your help.....your insights expertise and commentarygreatly appreciated....thanks Pond

UsualSuspect

Saugus, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/12 01:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tires, depends on the age, signs of cracking, damage, etc. The coach may be 8 years, but what are the date stamps on the tires? The tires could be a lot older than the coach depending on how long they sat before the manufacturer installed them, or they could have been replaced 6 months ago, or anywhere in between.
I doubt it needs a brake job at 26K, but before I buy anything used I would have a qualified mechanic check it over. If the seller refuses a mechanical inspection, don't walk, don't jog, run away as fast as you can.

2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40E Cat C7 350 HP
2007 Chev 2500HD D/A Long bed CC (Yes, it is my TOAD )
2011 Toyota Tundra
Gone but not forgotten, 2008 Jayco 299 RLS

SpurHntr

Northeast PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/12 01:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your coach has an exhaust brake then it's likely your service brakes will last much longer than you'd expect...assuming the engine brake was used as intended.
Mine get inspected with my annual state inspection requirement. Plus reading up on how to check proper functioning hydraulic and air brakes is prudent. Most CDL course manuals from the dot in your state would be a good place to look/read.
Need more info on your tire size to estimate price.
I just put two new steer tires on the font of my DP installed for about 600 bucks each. Top of the line made this year Michelin xza2 energy 275-70-22.5s
8 years old I'd absolutely replace my steer tires and would replace my rears unless I got a good inspection one on them, 10 years is max limit IMHO with annual inspection after 5 wise.
The truck center inspected my duallies and I was happy with that actual service so I'm holding off on replacing my 2007 build date rears just yet.

'08 Newmar Kountry Star 3916, 400ISL Cummins
'11 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
'13 F350 SRW Crew 8'bed 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
'05 Cedar Creek Silverback 33lbhts
Blue Ox, BB, PP TPMS, BB Buggy, Ranger EV
FMCA 427040

Mandalay Parr

Phoenix, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/12 01:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About $3000-3600. Definitely put on new ones. 5-7 years max.

I have a Freighter Chassis and they told me the brakes would last for about 200,000 miles. Have them checked at your next service.

Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
KG7EFA - Extra Class
Kenwood Radios

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/12 02:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never for a brake job and $500/tire mounted if you go with Hankook or Toyo. Not any good reasons to go with Michelin or GY. Actually there are some good reason NOT TO. Search "Goodyear rivering" and "XRV blowouts".

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

04 Monaco Dynasty 42' quad slide
Where am I?
How I tow.

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/12 02:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you shop around, you can find Hankook AH-12, Firestone FS-560 or Toyo tires tires for $450-$500 each, out the door. There is NO reason to put a Michelin or Goodyear on your coach, other than to say you have that brand, when the major tire dealers will tell you that there are other brands that are as good or even better, for RV use.

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/ Rzr or Suzuki or an ACE riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

smlranger

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/12 02:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just got six (6) Hankook AH-12's 275/70/22.5 for $2,730 out the door.

2007 Country Coach Allure 470, Cummins ISL 425; 2012 Honda CR-V toad. SMI Air Force One braking system. Lucy the rescued lab/springer mix; Dixie rescued beagle mix. Smith Mountain Lake, VA

sdianel

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/12 03:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought BF Goodrich ST230's and are very happy with them. They are mid price. They were recommended by Pat at Pro Tires in Denton TX. He works on Country Coach and Prevost coaches. BF Goodrich is owned by Michelin and the tires are made in America.

Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/12 08:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put 6 Kellys on my DP last year the same size as you mentioned. I forget the exact figures but it was around $1800 and I sold 5 of the take offs for $500. Maybe living in a small town where you know everyone has an advantage price wise in these things.

timebum

Westlake Village, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 06:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are a FMCA member you can get M's for 50% off

Art

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Ballpark $.00 for a 40' DP tires set of six?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS