RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping: Inverter vs generator

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Keith M

Cle Elum

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/12 10:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the $400 for batteries and $300 for a low cost generator and LED TV makes more sense than the $1000 for a generator when you already have one. A bulk charge on the batteries which could be done while watching TV and then 4-5 hours of watching TV on 4 golf cart batteries. Thats the way its done out in the desert by the old folks, except they also have solar panels and skip the generator.

christopherglenn

Near Yosemite

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/12 11:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Start with the quier generator. Don't assume you can use the built in converter to recharge the batteries in 3 hours. That is usually not possible. Next year look at inverter/chargers. They have far higher charging rates, and (if the batteries allow it) can make a huge dent in an hour. If you want to charge FAST look at AGM's, they cost more, but charge 5 to 50 times faster then lead/acid batteries. My agm's are rated for C5 charging (c=amp hours) the three are about 200ah, so that is 1000 amps (rated max) charging. My inverter/charger is rated for 150 amps charging. That makes from 50% charge (don't go below 50% if you want your batteries to last a long time) to 90% in about 30 minutes.

2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

Keith M

Cle Elum

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 07:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might take a look at the Honda EU3000 generator which is really quiet. A bit heavy but if you leave it in the back of the truck its not a problem. You could probably run one a/c and take care of your electrical needs. That would be a reasonable option to the 2000 which cant power an air conditioner.

Everybody needs a space and something to do and it it includes TV, computer, books, etc. its reasonable to me. Dogs also need their space. I would certainly take a hard look at the Honda 3000 and listen to how quiet it is before making a choice on generators.

AO_hitech

SF Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 05:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jstme wrote:

...Life is often about compromise...Spending a week at a time camped by a lake, taking turns reading outside while the kids watch tv and pulling the kids behind the boat in a tube is not a bad week.

Not a bad week at all. Not at all.

Gau 8

United States

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 07:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why does the child "need" TV?

jstme

Nampa, ID

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/12 09:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gau 8 wrote:

Why does the child "need" TV?

Answered earlier: I have (2) adult special needs children that will always live with us. Life is often about compromise; I enjoy backpacking in solitude, we have a 40' 5th wheel with a 40" tv and directv for the kids and I get to enjoy the outdoors,read, bbq outside, etc. OR, I could dig my heels in, declare that camping is for "getting away" and have miserable, unhappy kids that do not want to go camping. Spending a week at a time camped by a lake, taking turns reading outside while the kids watch tv and pulling the kids behind the boat in a tube is not a bad week.

Ken451

southern Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 05:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One advantage of the inverter units is that they can run at slower speed when the power demand is less than max. Non inverter (cheaper) units have to run at full rpm all the time to get the 60 Hz frequency. That makes them louder and use more fuel.

2012 Keystone Cougar 327RES 5th wheel
2006 Sundowner horse trailer with living quarters
Chevy C3500 tow vehicle

wa_desert_rat

Central Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/12 10:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 19" LED tv and a BluRay player installed; both of them tegether draw less than 50 watts. I run them off a $30 inverter that plugs in to the cigarette lighter (170 watts Modified Sine Wave). Get a Kill-A-Watt (under $40 at Lowe's) and you can discover what the DirecTV receiver draws and size your inverter that way. Probably a 1000 watt inverter will do fine. Might need a Pure Sine Wave type. Then charge your batteries as needed.

Craig

jstme

Nampa, ID

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/12 09:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keith M wrote:

You might take a look at the Honda EU3000 generator which is really quiet. A bit heavy but if you leave it in the back of the truck its not a problem. You could probably run one a/c and take care of your electrical needs. That would be a reasonable option to the 2000 which cant power an air conditioner.

Everybody needs a space and something to do and it it includes TV, computer, books, etc. its reasonable to me. Dogs also need their space. I would certainly take a hard look at the Honda 3000 and listen to how quiet it is before making a choice on generators.

For now, I think we are set. We started with a champion 5000W, it was not *too* loud, but it only ran 1 A/c. We have a large 40' 5th wheel with 2 a/c's....one air struggled when it got hot one trip. We now have a 9000W Champion (loud) that will run both a/c's. With both air's going and the doors closed, the "beast" is not a problem. I just bought a CPE 2000W from Costco (same db level as the Honda) for $489.00 When we need two air conditioners, We are set. For mild days of open windows and watching TV, the CPE is quiet, quiet, quiet. ALSO, the small unit is 20-25 dollars a day cheaper to run than "the beast". I would be hard pressed to find a quiet generator that will run both A/C's......that would not break the bank. I wonder how loud an Onan (sp?) is? Anyone have experience with one....should it be on my future wish list?

jstme

Nampa, ID

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/12 07:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ken451 wrote:

One advantage of the inverter units is that they can run at slower speed when the power demand is less than max. Non inverter (cheaper) units have to run at full rpm all the time to get the 60 Hz frequency. That makes them louder and use more fuel.

Great point; this unit is an inverter unit that has an "econo" mode, for just a TV I expect that it will stay in "whisper mode". M.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS