RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Admin! Lets fix the link option so we're not redirected

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Forum Technical Support

Open Roads Forum  >  Forum Technical Support

> Admin! Lets fix the link option so we're not redirected

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
five'er

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 08:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is a TEST standard link

Admin: I'm not much of a coder but can't you set the links so they force on a new tab/page instead of using the existing? I think it's in your best interest to keep people on the page. Should be alb eto use some sort of target="_blank" code

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 08:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OR you could right click in the link and select "open in new tab"

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/12 10:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Or, you could hold down the shift key (command key on a Mac) when you click to open a new window.

The current software is long in the tooth. I don't think you will see the technicians revising it. I think the effort will be spent on new software.

Tom

five'er

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 09:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah.. Could to that but it seems to me that the objective of a webmaster is to attract and keep people on your site as long as possible. Because they provide a tool that allows you to link to another URL, seems it would make sense to have that link open in a new window or tab. I often do this myself by right clicking as you suggested but it's not very user friendly IMO.

boogie_4wheel

SLC, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 02:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

five'er wrote:

can't you set the links so they force on a new tab/page instead of using the existing?

Agreed! Any other forum I've been on opens a new tab/window (depending on your browser settings).

2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer, ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges in cubby hole, GDP 20/2 filters on frame rail, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

dan-nickie

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/12 07:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, please take a look at this opton.

Dan and Nickie

Washington, DC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/12 07:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NorthernLimits wrote:

I have said the same several times but it appears the webmasters here could care less if you went to another site. Same goes for embedding youtube videos. Make me click over to youtube so my ADD can kick in and never return here. Seems counter productive for the site.

Probably because they know you'll come back? Especially with some 300,000+ forum members if my memory serves me right?

I've seen a few forums that allow embedding YouTube videos, but not many. I came up with a round about way of doing a popup video without having access to the forum servers, at this forum post. But just use a link to a YouTube video in a forum post myself.

Washington, DC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/12 07:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

daverich wrote:

Right clicking and opening a new tab is what I always do. I do that on all sites.

Me too, but using CTRL+click on link, which also opens the webpage on a separate tab.

daverich

Swan Lake National Wildlife Refuge, Sumner, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/12 07:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with skipnchar. Right clicking and opening a new tab is what I always do. I do that on all sites.

I guess we are getting what we are paying for. Works well for me.

NorthernLimits

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 06:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

five'er wrote:

Yeah.. Could to that but it seems to me that the objective of a webmaster is to attract and keep people on your site as long as possible. Because they provide a tool that allows you to link to another URL, seems it would make sense to have that link open in a new window or tab. I often do this myself by right clicking as you suggested but it's not very user friendly IMO.

I have said the same several times but it appears the webmasters here could care less if you went to another site. Same goes for embedding youtube videos. Make me click over to youtube so my ADD can kick in and never return here. Seems counter productive for the site.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Forum Technical Support

> Admin! Lets fix the link option so we're not redirected
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Forum Technical Support

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS