RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Spilled batteries. Now what?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Spilled batteries. Now what?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 09:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The batteries are the least of the worries. I'd be at a hand held car wash dousing the bed with soap from the brush, rinsing it off, and repeating a few times so there is no residual acid eating at anything. Even with a bedliner, it can run between the liner and the vehicle (assuming a drop-in liner) and wreak havoc.

DryCamper11

Hartford

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 12:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jauguston wrote:

If there is any water left in the battery dump some into a container and check the specific gravity. Mix water and battery acid to get the same specific gravity and use that to refill.

The SG of the original battery will tell you its state of charge. What is the state of charge of battery acid from the store? I'd think matching Ph might make more sense if he needs to match anything.

When I've purchased dry batteries, the acid has always come in the correct concentration. You just pour it in. I'd think he could just refill with acid. You're not supposed to refill with acid during use because the loss is just water, but here he's actually lost acid, not water. There will be a loss of lead compounds dissolved in the acid he lost, but there's not much he can do about that. I'd expect them to be replaced from the lead plates into the new acid during the next charge cycle, which he'll need to do immediately.

Of course, that's really just guess work for me, I'm all ears to hear other suggestions.

In the Boonies!

Mushroom

Central US

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/12 10:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bonefish wrote:

Learjet wrote:

i would be more worried about my truck

Wet down and sprinkle baking soda over the spill area it will neutralize the acid. Try to get the baking soda fluid into every area that has come in contact with the acid to prevent it causing corrosion.

And battery acid from NAPA, straight from the bottle into each cell to the normal fill point (it is elecrolite and is at the proper concentration), place on charger to fully charge and you should be good to go.

X3

Water level isn't WATER anymore, it was battery acid. NAPA straight from the box and top them off. The truck bed is more important and the faster you act the better it will be. There is also battery cleaner at NAPA, but it is basically spray on baking soda.
Lots of rinsing, but without the baking soda you are just washing acid into the driveway/lawn/street it is a hazard.

1994 Vectra DP
230 Cummins / MD3060 Allison Trans
Banks Stinger / Improved Injectors
US Gear Exhaust Brake
Towing 2007 Jeep Liberty / Unified Tow Brake

Bonefish

Midland, TX

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 01:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Learjet wrote:

i would be more worried about my truck

2X

Wet down and sprinkle baking soda over the spill area it will neutralize the acid. Try to get the baking soda fluid into every area that has come in contact with the acid to prevent it causing corrosion.

And battery acid from NAPA, straight from the bottle into each cell to the normal fill point (it is elecrolite and is at the proper concentration), place on charger to fully charge and you should be good to go.

travisej

South UT

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 09:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I took care of the truck thanks to a big bag of bakingsoda from Costco.
Now looking at the batteries the fluid seems to be at the same level in each cell andis covering the plates. Where do I go from here? Can I just fill with distilled water or do I need to add acid?

westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 01:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ouch, that is not a good thing for the truck bed. Like others said, start neutralizing it ASAP. If it was me, I'd make a baking soda paste and be watering it down every day for a week. Don't forget the tail gate hinges.

Refilling with battery acid, available at most auto parts stores, will probably work fine.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

AO_hitech

SF Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/12 09:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would put back exactly what spilled, battery acid.

jauguston

Bellingham, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/12 10:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The liquid you lost out of the cells is not water and it is not battery acid. It is a mixture of both that is determined by the state of charge of the battery at the time of the spill. If the battery was fully charged the liquid would be pretty close to straight battery acid. If it was dead the liquid would be pretty much straight water. That is why a dead battery will freeze when it gets really cold.

To do it right you need to replace the missing liquid with a liquid that is the same specific gravity as what is in the cells now. You can do that as I suggested in my earlier post by mixing battery acid with water and using a hydrometer get the specific gravity of the new replacement fluid to the same SG as what is in the battery.

Jim

2005 Coachman Sportscoach Elite 402 40'
350hp Cat C-7 w/MP-8
7500w Onan quiet diesel generator
6-Kyocera 130w solar panels SB3024i MPPT controller
Pressure Pro TPMS
1987 Suzuki Samurai tintop Toad w/VW 1.6 turbo diesel power

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 09:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NO acid required in my view. Do fully charge the batteries BEFORE adding distilled water.

You did loose some acid but if it is still over the plates it would not be a huge amount. If the batteries were discharged before the slip you lost less acid becuase specific gravity (SG) would have been lower.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Spilled batteries. Now what?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS