RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Help how to deal with Tropical Storm Debby in MH!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Help how to deal with Tropical Storm Debby in MH!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/12 04:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garyhaupt wrote:

Man oh man...people leave a state due to smoke from fires, drinking water not to their liking, and sand in the beer...why on earth would anyone even BE in an area where these storms are the norm? I'm not being prissy...please explain.

Gary Haupt

Once you get... oh never mind

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Klueck

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 05:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are just north of Tampa and have been experiencing Debby since Sunday.

We have relied on Channel 28 in Tampa (meteorologist Denis Phillips) He also posts frequent reports on Facebook and I've found that most helpful.

I don't know where exactly you are at, but not all local channels are created equal.

We have an Oregon Scientific weather radio which we have programmed to the area we are at. That way we are getting tornado watches and warnings.

We also have a "Weatherbug" app on our smart phone. I can pull up the radar and it shows our location, as well as alerts.

I feel your pain. Sunday was pretty bad here, mostly from rain. The wind wasn't bad.

I think Debby is weakening.

Get a weather radio!!!

Good luck

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 05:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have sunshine,at least for now.Have to pump about a foot of extra water out of the pool into the flooded yard.Seems the only place high and dry is where the camper is parked.Even the ducks and geese are soaked.

Other half is camping with the angels,Riding alone for now.

2008 3500 Dodge Ram CTD dually 4X4 SOLD
2007 Gulfstream Endura Max 40 SOLD
2001 Polaris Ranger 4X4 SOLD
Harley Dyna Lowrider.

Mod Pics

MyakkaTT

Bradenton, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 08:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garyhaupt wrote:

Man oh man...people leave a state due to smoke from fires, drinking water not to their liking, and sand in the beer...why on earth would anyone even BE in an area where these storms are the norm? I'm not being prissy...please explain.

Yep, everyone should leave Florida it is nasty here. 50 years here and would not live anywhere else. Storms are not really the norm here, just like living where the ground moves, or you freeze your tush off every year. Now if i had my choice and able to, sure I may move to somewhere like St. Kitts, Barbados etc....

2007 McKenzie Starwood SL 31 BHD
2006 Dodge Ram 2500, Quad Cab, 4x4, CTD
My Wife: Dawn
Myself: Scott
Our Dog: Our new Fur Kid, Kylee
Our Photos
Trailer Mods

"Quietly Making Noise"

tomkaren13

West Central Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/12 09:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Too bad the OP did'nt tell us where they were. We then could have been more help. Here in Eastern Citrus county no problems, Now Tampa area or Northern Fl had more problems.

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 08:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrWizard wrote:

I think I would have left town
I have never been through a TS or hurricane and have no desire to do so
given the warning time involved , I would have pulled up and drove north and kept going until I was out of the storms reach

I've had plenty of experience with rain and tornados ,to know I want to avoid a TS in Fl

My sentiments exactly.
Well, no, not quite; There is no doubt in my military mind, I definitely WOULD have "left town"! That is one of the benefits of living on wheels, it is usually easy to run away!

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

nitrohorse

pa

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 11:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garyhaupt wrote:

Gary Haupt

I guess some people find the possibility of dying very exciting.....

jassrnj

Bath, PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 02:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are in an RV, MOVE. GO where there is no storm.

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 03:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tatest wrote:

Having lived through hurricanes in Florida and the Carolinas, after growing up in the summer tornado alley across the Great Lakes, then moving to the spring and autumn tornado alley of the southern Great Plains, I can tell you what I've learned.

Tropical storms have winds that move counter-clockwise around the center. Wind direction when it hits will not depend on direction of storm travel, but where you are in relation to the center. I've been on an edge and experienced winds in only one direction, which was opposite to direction of travel. I've been near the center of the track, winds shifting through three points of the compass as the storm passes.

Tropical storms generate many small tornadoes. The mechanisms are different from the tornadoes generated by thunderstorm cells, which arise from particular places in the cell structure, and can be watched on radar if they contain large amounts of liquid water or solid debris. When they can be tracked (which is not always, i.e. they are sometimes clear and dry) these tornadoes are distinct structures within relatively clear are under the storm.

Tornadoes within tropical storms are "lost" within a larger storm, very difficult to pick out from other all the other water and debris being moved by winds. About all the forecasters can do is tell you whether or not tornadoes are being reported inside the hurricane.

With less than hurricane force winds, the real hazard from storms like Debby is the rainfall. Huge amounts of water will be dumped, tens of inches per hour for a long time. In Florida (and most coastal areas and coastal plains) there is not much slope to move the water away, so it is going to fill up all the low spots. Water will be high until it drains away, can be hours or days after the storm. I came home for lunch one day in coastal Carolina as the edge of a storm came through, within 30 minutes water was lapping at my porch, six feet above the level of the street in front of the house. The rain lasted only and hour, sun came out, water started draining away, but by the time kids got out of school it was still two feet deep along the sidewalks, three feet in the street. Can't go anywhere very fast, we were about 12 feet above MSL and the sea was up about three feet on storm surge, pushing in against drainage.

My suggestion, depending on where you are, would be to get out of there if you are in a low area. At least to high ground, if not out of the area entirely. The winds will be something you can probably ride out, if you don't catch a tornado.

Thank you very much for explaining the difference between tornado's in the Midwest and tropical storm spawned ones. This was my biggest confusion and frustration when/how they were reporting them on the Florida stations. Not having access to basements in Florida can sure put a Midwesterner on edge.

I've lived in the Great Lakes area all my life and didn't think much about traveling in another region. Boy you really have to unlearn what you've been used to and start getting educated on how the weather works where you are at! Thanks for all the help understanding how the weather can react in Florida.

I'm used to getting up in the morning and looking out to the West to see what kind of day would arrive. Dark in the western skies means a storm is brewing and all you had to do is turn the TV on to see what time it would arrive. In Florida the weather can come at you from ALL 4 directions at any time of the day and those nasty 'sea breezes'.....I'm still trying to get a grip on how all that colliding of sea breezes works.

There are hundreds of sink holes ALL over Ocala from the storm flooding. Houses, bridges, and streets with gaping holes. And thousands of houses that look like they are in the middle of a lake.
Several trees down here at the CG one tree missed a TT by inches.

24 straight hours of constant down pouring rain. My site did flood but amazingly when the sun came out today all of it receded into the ground or should I say sand! I guess sand is good for one thing anyway. I think I need a t-shirt that says I survived my first Tropical Storm in a MH.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 04:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your in Ocala,you missed the storm.Should of been up here near Lake City.A lot of places closed early the other day due to the flooding.Heading to the boat ramp tomorrow for pics of the river flooding.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Help how to deal with Tropical Storm Debby in MH!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS