RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Toy Haulers: spring end hitting equalizer frame mount ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> spring end hitting equalizer frame mount ?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
my996duc1

SoCal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/12 11:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a daul axle Attitude toyhauler and I noticed my spring equalizers are not "equal". The rear side is pointing upwards abit and I noticed it has allowed the end of the spring/shackle to hit the equalizer to frame mounting point).

I didn't have this problem before switching the springs to the top of the axle. Not sure if this has anything to do with it or not...

I am running near the capacity of these axles but not over.

I had read about the EZ Flex system will help reduce the jolting and jaring before it it transfered to the frame but not sure if these would help in this case or not.

Any suggestions or ideas to help stop this ??

I stole the pic from online (not mine).

2007 Coachmen Cross Country 354MBS
2005 LJ Rubicon Sahara

mapguy

Puget Sound

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 11:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hesitant to reply.

Classic symptom of a nose high trailer run at or above component capacity limits.

my996duc1

SoCal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/12 12:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mapguy wrote:

Hesitant to reply.

Classic symptom of a nose high trailer run at or above component capacity limits.

It may be abit nose high but less so than it was before moving to spring over.
When I raised the truck 3" (between taller tires and rear blocks), I also had the springs put onto the top of the axles on the TH. I am guessing the springs on the top would have lifted the trailer higher than the 3" the truck was lifted but unsure of exact amount of lift.

You are right on mark with it being at the capacity fully loaded. I am 50lbs under capacity at each wheel when loaded to the max with everything topped off and full. The last time I took it out I didn't have the water (130gal) or fuel (36gal) tanks filled, so that should have dropped alot of weight. I was running 1/4 tank of water and 10gal of fuel. Kinda hesitant to load it back up to max and try it now in the spring over configuration.

I am guessing the expansion joints, wavy freeway, bouncing and jumping along the freeway is when the spring is making contact with the equalizer mount.
Any idea if the EZ Flex would help to dampen some of the jumping around and thus might help keep these two parts from impacting ? Or just a waste of time and money ?

Do you know if the spring over would cause a reduction in hauling capacity or any other issues associated with this problem ?

Just confused since this problem has shown up after going spring over and hauling less weight.

Maybe some heavier duty springs or bump stops for the springs that are on there now ?

_

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 04:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I leave the parking spot next to my house, I have to come off a curb that forces an extreme articulation between the front and back wheels. For just a foot or so the front tire actually comes off the ground. I would imagine the contact you see could be from something like that.
I just went out and looked at mine. I have the same small marks and I'm sure it's from what I described above. It doesn't look like it's any real problem. I wouldn't even consider it damage. It just reminds me that I have to go very slow off extreme drops like that.

* This post was edited 06/26/12 04:20pm by ScottG *

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

my996duc1

SoCal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/12 05:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

When I leave the parking spot next to my house, I have to come off a curb that forces an extreme articulation between the front and back wheels. For just a foot or so the front tire actually comes off the ground. I would imagine the contact you see could be from something like that.
I just went out and looked at mine. I have the same small marks and I'm sure it's from what I described above. It doesn't look like it's any real problem. I wouldn't even consider it damage. It just reminds me that I have to go very slow off extreme drops like that.

I hadn't even thought of that....
I do have to drop off a tall curb when pulling out of the storage spot.
Sounds like maybe a few different things going on here.
Thank you for the info.

-

my996duc1

SoCal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/12 07:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Finally got back home....

Here are pics of what I have going on here and the impact marks I am seeing.

The other pics I am finding online show a rectangle coming off the frame for the equalizer mount... If I had that type of mount I am not sure I would be hitting.

Thoughts ?
Fixes / mods that will help out here ?

-

-

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 07:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yup, that's exactly what mine looks like!
Seems like it would be good to weld a flat piece of steel across there to take the hit.

TRIPLE8

Crestline

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 07:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, we pretty much have the same trailers, and our samurais are built about the same. ( yours a tin top mine is a soft top) I have weighed my trailer and was over by about 100 lbs. with my samurai inside. if you have the 4 leaf springs they are only rated for 2200.lbs each. ( per lippert)I broke one on the 15. 8800 lbs of springs and 12000 lb axles.(2 x 6000)their idea is the springs will break before the axles, go figure. since then I have installed 3000lb springs and the Dex. EZ flex shackles for under $500 and have not had a problem since. Lance

06 chevy silverado 2500 d-max
'08 stellar 32' fith wheel triple axle conversion- Lance's pad when Melissa's mad
02 yzf 426
05 yzf 450
04 yz 125 (sons)
06 hon 90 (daughter)
06 hon 300 (wife)
87 zuzuki samurai locked

my996duc1

SoCal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/12 08:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TRIPLE8 wrote:

Hi, we pretty much have the same trailers, and our samurais are built about the same. ( yours a tin top mine is a soft top) I have weighed my trailer and was over by about 100 lbs. with my samurai inside. if you have the 4 leaf springs they are only rated for 2200.lbs each. ( per lippert)I broke one on the 15. 8800 lbs of springs and 12000 lb axles.(2 x 6000)their idea is the springs will break before the axles, go figure. since then I have installed 3000lb springs and the Dex. EZ flex shackles for under $500 and have not had a problem since. Lance

Yes sir, I have the 4 leaf springs.
Wow, yes... I am for sure over loaded on the stock springs.

Any chance you have the part numbers or where you bought your springs from ?

And another question :
Did you stick with close to the same size on the EZ Flex and go with the 5 5/8" model or go larger with the 7 3/4" model ?

_

* This post was last edited 06/26/12 08:43pm by my996duc1 *   View edit history

mapguy

Puget Sound

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 10:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having lower capacity springs like stated would cause your problem especially with curb jumping type stuff. Strongly suggest you reinforce the spring/equalizer hanger to prevent future collapse. Especially with suspension mounted in the lowest holes. Also, suggest tieing the spring/equalizer hangers together to prevent frame flex damage over time. The Lippert link below has info on how to do this. The frame cracking shown is what happens if the frame flexes to much....
http://lippertcomponents.com/images/Flye........airing-frame-cracks-in-axle-location.pdf

Replacement cushioned equalizer should be the same or as close to same dimension as stock. There is a relationship between spring/equalizer hanger height installed and the actual equalizer used.

Many options for springs. The link below shows the many options available from a good trailer suspension parts supplier

http://www.stengelbros.com/UtilitySprings.htm

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> spring end hitting equalizer frame mount ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS