RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Actual Loaded Truck Weights Requested...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Actual Loaded Truck Weights Requested...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
chipgreens

CALIFORNIA

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 07:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another newbie here and we're interested in joining the TC world. We have been researching as much as we can the past few months however we're stuck doing the GVWR/payload calculations for each truck/camper combo we're interested in.

The problem is we do not have a truck or a camper yet so it's hard to get a realistic figure. Many people in the forum and on other sites (TC Mag) recommend choosing a camper first but even going that route we still need the actual truck weight loaded (passengers, gas, cargo, etc) to determine if it would carry the camper under the GVWR.

I understand the general calculation should be:

GVWR - Actual Truck weight (LOADED) = Available #s for a wet, loaded camper

The formula may be more complicated when considering front/rear axle capacity, etc but I'm just hoping to get a general figure. There is also a lot of information about how to increase performance using sway bars, air bags, leafs but if I understand correctly the GVWR is the GVWR. No changes made, is that right? So although I'm interested in adding accessories/options to the truck later, my main goal is to come under the GVWR.

Here are the truck options I'm interested in:

2011 or later
Chevy or Ford
Crew cab, Long bed
Gas, 4WD
2500/250 or 3500/350
SRW

The GVWR is easy enough to obtain and calculating the wet weight of a camper seems possible. It's the truck weight that I'm not able to get. Would any of you who have similar configurations and have actually weighed your truck (truck only) mind posting your figures? It would also be helpful to know if you had any additional items aboard other than "standard" that are large enough to skew figures.

Something like the following would be greatly appreciated:

8,500 lbs:
2012 Ford F350, SRW, Gas
Crew cab, long bed, 4WD
full tank
family of 4 + dog

Thank you in advance,
charles

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/12 06:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trucks carry weight determined by their axle/tire ratings. In case of a heavy truck camper, the trucks rear axle/tires carries the load not GVWR.

Now if your wanting to use GVWR to figure loads on the trucks rear axle/tires that fine however with some truck configurations with the newer high GVWR numbers you'll have to watch the RAWRs/tire ratings.

Example; With some one ton SRW gas trucks high 11500 GVWR its possible to overload the trucks rear axle by using GVWR.
Looking at Fords fleet service guide shows a 6.2 11500 GVWR super cab 4x4 141" wheelbase has a 4430 lb payload. Looking at the same guide shows the same trucks rear axle weight of 2903 lbs. Subtract that number from 7000 RAWR leave a 4097 lb payload on the rear axle. Using GVWR has overloaded the rear axle/tires by 333 lbs.

Ford and GM use a high GVWR on some of their 3/4 and one ton SRW gas models so watch those GAWR/tire capacities.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

bighatnohorse

Gig Harbor - Cave Creek

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/12 07:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is this what you want? :

2005 Eagle Cap -|- Dry bath w/ all factory options except solar.
2005 F350 CC 6.0 diesel dually: GVWR 13000
Truck with 2 people and full tank of fuel: 8360 lbs.
Camper weight with full tanks: 4420 lbs
GVWR with camper, full tanks, gear and food: 12,780 lbs

* This post was edited 06/30/12 06:59am by an administrator/moderator *

2008 Arctic Fox 1140 model
2005 F350 6.0 dually with 118,500 miles 85% with camper.
Bulletproof oil and EGR cooler added at 100K
The NEW Eagle Cap Owners forum

montecarlo31

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/12 08:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

Trucks carry weight determined by their axle/tire ratings. In case of a heavy truck camper, the trucks rear axle/tires carries the load not GVWR.

Now if your wanting to use GVWR to figure loads on the trucks rear axle/tires that fine however with some truck configurations with the newer high GVWR numbers you'll have to watch the RAWRs/tire ratings.

Example; With some one ton SRW gas trucks high 11500 GVWR its possible to overload the trucks rear axle by using GVWR.
Looking at Fords fleet service guide shows a 6.2 11500 GVWR super cab 4x4 141" wheelbase has a 4430 lb payload. Looking at the same guide shows the same trucks rear axle weight of 2903 lbs. Subtract that number from 7000 RAWR leave a 4097 lb payload on the rear axle. Using GVWR has overloaded the rear axle/tires by 333 lbs.

Ford and GM use a high GVWR on some of their 3/4 and one ton SRW gas models so watch those GAWR/tire capacities.

That is a SEMI true statement...you have to remember depending on what you are putting in the bed and it's placement, you are, most likely never going to add 4,000 lbs correctly to the back of a truck without adding some to the front.

At worst I'd venture to say you'll add at least 5% of a payload when loaded correctly (IE over and in front of the rear axle) to the front axle as well. This would allow a 4,430 payload with only 4,097 lb of rear axle capacity. For what it's worth I've got a link from GM that show option weight and which areas they impact.

racedrvr

Chicago Burbs/Kentucky Lake

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/12 11:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

That is a SEMI true statement...you have to remember depending on what you are putting in the bed and it's placement, you are, most likely never going to add 4,000 lbs correctly to the back of a truck without adding some to the front.

At worst I'd venture to say you'll add at least 5% of a payload when loaded correctly (IE over and in front of the rear axle) to the front axle as well. This would allow a 4,430 payload with only 4,097 lb of rear axle capacity. For what it's worth I've got a link from GM that show option weight and which areas they impact.

I have a T/C that has a CG BEHIND the rear axle. Many truck campers with a considerable rear overhang have this condition as well. My front axle weighs 200 lbs less
when fully loaded than when empty. Each individual configuration needs to be checked.

Chevy Silverado LT EC 3500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison. Torque Lift/Fastguns, Torklift superhitch,
Honda eu2000i & Companion

Puma Unleashed 351THSS + Bigfoot 25C 9.4

17oaks

17 Oaks Ranch

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/12 12:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

racedrvr wrote:

Quote:

I have a T/C that has a CG BEHIND the rear axle. Many truck campers with a considerable rear overhang have this condition as well. My front axle weighs 200 lbs less
when fully loaded than when empty. Each individual configuration needs to be checked.

I find that interesting...Can you address any differences between CoG behind or on top of the rear axle???

I know that on my John Deere when I load the backhoe, WOW what a difference in ride and handling. In this case I like it better as it adds a LOT of stability to the tractor and the mount is close to the rear axle so front end lifting is not a problem.

Don
17 Oaks Ranch, Texas
US Army (RET)
'11 F350 4x4, CC, LWB, DRW, Lariat
AF 1150, solar, satellite
Vietnam Combat Veteran

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/12 12:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Charles,

You're never going to get a forum group to answer in such an organized fashion...

Besides, you don't go about buying a camper like that. You've got one equation and two variables, leaving you with an infinte number of solutions to the problem.

Buying the camper first means you buy it based on whatever criteria you have for CAMPING. Weight isn't a consideration if you don't have the truck, because you can ALWAYS find a truck that will carry the weight.

Weight CAN be a factor, as in you look for the lightest camper that has all the features you want.

Staying within GVWR is a tough row to hoe. Most 11.5' jumbo campers are going to push a 3500-series dually pickup well beyond GVWR, even though every camper manufacturer and salesman will tell you they were made for each other.

IMHO:

If you realistically want to stay under GVWR on a 3500-series dually pickup, you need to keep the camper dry weight under about 3500lbs.

Drop back to a 3500-series single, and you're down to 2500lbs or less.

On a 2500-series pickup, it's more like 1500lbs.

2002 Chevy 3500 DRW/8.1/Allison & 2000 Palomino B1500 popup TC

-Yes, I haul a popup with a dually. No, I don't think I need a dually to haul a popup.

chipgreens

CALIFORNIA

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/12 03:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good info all around. Thanks mkirsch, you're absolutely right. It's the two variables causing the problem. You're feedback seems to confirm what I'm finding out.

I'm going to have to commit to the truck or the camper to eliminate one of the variables. I don't want a dually only for convenience. This will also be an everyday truck. So that puts me in the 350 realm.

You mention the 2500 dry weight, any idea about approx wet weight? In cases with a larger fresh water tank two campers may not be equal.

I'd be curious to find out how many people actually get "ticketed" for being overweight.

weymard

NORMANDY

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/12 04:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is not a 2011, but my crew cab short bed F250 2008 4x4 6.4 diesel lariat weigth exactly (with torklift, gooseneck ,grill gard and full tank 94L ) 7969 pounds, weighted at the offical technical control. And the GVWR is 10 000 pounds.
I suppose, because it's a tendance, that the same truck 2011 serial weight more.

FORD F250 LARIAT 4X4 DIESEL 2008
Lance 815 2007
France, Normandy

narcodog

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/12 05:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think that you can safely consider a dry weight on a 2500 to 2800 lbs. My Lance weighs a little over 2700 lbs. When loaded I was over about 400 lbs. with 245 tires. I upgraded to 265's and now I have plenty to spare.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Actual Loaded Truck Weights Requested...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS