|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Newbie on the forum

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
NC Hauler

Asheville NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/12 03:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beach84 wrote:

We are planning on more than half the time it will be just the two of us, but sometimes we probably will have grandkids with us. We are probably going to use it for camping and a couple of longer trips during the year, like for a month in Arizona, and another month of traveling across different states. I should add that we are thinking of a bigger fifth wheel or motorhome for the first ten years and then switching to a class c motorhome after we have done the majority of our bigger travels. Another thing I thought maybe I should add is we are in our early fifties ;-) Thanks so much for all the information so far.

We've had up to 4 grandkids with us in our 5er along with our 2 boxers and have had more than enough room, though, at times two bathrooms would have been nice. Our 5er is 37' inside measure with 4 slide outs. The outside shower comes in handy with the kids and dogs.
As you, most of the time, it's just my wife, myself and our two dogs, so MORE than enough room for us, and a huge basement to carry far more than we could ever load into it. We do have a HiDef satellite on the roof, which comes in handy as well as washer/dryer combo which really comes in handy, especially with grandkids getting their clothes dirty as often as they do...

I'm almost 62 and DW is younger and we'll leave it at that Again, depending on your budget should decide for you how what you want to purchase.. As stated earlier, seems class A's , as well as just about any other rv take a big hit on depreciation, but seems Moho's take a bigger hit the first couple of years than a 5er, just going from I've read.

Jim & Kathy
2013 Dodge 3500DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin tranny/4:10/Cummins: 385HP/850TQ
06 HR Presidential Suite 37RLQ/SK3005 Satellite/Splendide XC2100/4slide/dual pane windows
2014 Jeep Compass Ltd 4X4
Boxers;Buddy& Sheba II
USAF 71-75 Vietnam Vet

bpounds

Senile, er I mean

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/12 03:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also don't agree with the MH taking longer to set up. We couldn't abide a MH without a toad to get around during a visit. When you figure in the time to deal with a toad before setup and again before leaving, it would be a wash at best, or maybe even advantage to the fiver.

The other thing about the MH is that it is a whole 'nother vehicle to maintain, with oil changes, tranny service, brakes, tires, liability insurance, etc. I must have a truck anyway, so to me a MH is an added expensive maintenance item. Of course, not everyone needs a truck.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

korbe

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/12 03:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our situation is such that I need a truck anyway. That necessity made the decision easy.

2004 F250 SD PSD
2004 Crossroads Cruiser CF25RS

TGarrett

TN/SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/12 03:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not for or against either they each have their own attributes but these are some of what swayed me in my decision and the reasons behind it(even if they might be flawed they are what I used to decide)

Pro MH
you can tow any vehicle you want(within reason)

CON MH
It has a lot of room lost to the "Motor" part of the home but this gave me a lot of storage space. While that may take away head room my being 6'3" still isn't a problem. However I was on a Submarine/Ship for 6 years so I am used to confined spaces.

Pro 5ver
lots of space, however looking at my parents 5ver I would rather have less space and more storage if you are going full time, and the undercompartments on my MH do that for me.

Con 5ver
you only have your two vehicle as an option. It may not be an issue for some but I have also heard a lot of issues with insurance on several forums for the MDT/HDT's to pull the 5vers but I'll let others address that issue as I'm not fluent on them but it did sway me some.

Cost was not an issue for me as I plan to use my companies per diem for living on the road to pay for it. I began shopping for a certian size of home(origianlly a TT) as I live in it 4-5 days a week it needed room. However since the jeep can't tow much and neither can my S-2000 if i decide I want to take it somewhere I could not do that with a 5ver. So i went and bought a DP.

This affected me as I have a Jeep Rubicon for Rock Crawling.

Garrett
2004 Fleetwood Expedition 38N
Full Timer

Toad(still to be setup) 2011 Jeep Rubicon
2nd (to be put on double trailer with 1st when moving) 2008 Honda S2000

NC Hauler

Asheville NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/12 03:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TGarrett wrote:

I am not for or against either they each have their own attributes but these are some of what swayed me in my decision and the reasons behind it(even if they might be flawed they are what I used to decide)

Pro MH
you can tow any vehicle you want(within reason)

CON MH
It has a lot of room lost to the "Motor" part of the home but this gave me a lot of storage space. While that may take away head room my being 6'3" still isn't a problem. However I was on a Submarine/Ship for 6 years so I am used to confined spaces.

Pro 5ver
lots of space, however looking at my parents 5ver I would rather have less space and more storage if you are going full time, and the undercompartments on my MH do that for me.

Con 5ver
you only have your two vehicle as an option. It may not be an issue for some but I have also heard a lot of issues with insurance on several forums for the MDT/HDT's to pull the 5vers but I'll let others address that issue as I'm not fluent on them but it did sway me some.

Cost was not an issue for me as I plan to use my companies per diem for living on the road to pay for it. I began shopping for a certian size of home(origianlly a TT) as I live in it 4-5 days a week it needed room. However since the jeep can't tow much and neither can my S-2000 if i decide I want to take it somewhere I could not do that with a 5ver. So i went and bought a DP.

This affected me as I have a Jeep Rubicon for Rock Crawling.

The "majority" of 5th wheels are towed with 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton 1 ton SRW and 1 ton dually's, thus, really no issue with insurance...As you stated, others could address MDT and HDT, but in all my travels, you see far more "regular" pick ups towing 5er's than MDT or HDT's.

What's handy with our trucks, is the other things we can use them for...if 4 wheel drive, getting in and out of wet, snowy, slippery situations....Also have the bed of the truck to haul just about anything we need to any other time when disconnected, and can carry quite a bit more even when towing the 5er...A Crew Cab has quite a bit of room and the loaded out 1 ton SRW and Dually's have options that rival and exceed those in a Moho's.

Again, for the amount of money I have in my 5er and truck, I could not have afforded a DP Moho, more like a used gasser and probably a bare bones when comparing what I paid for 37' of livable space with 4 deep slideouts...include the loaded out 4 wheel drive crew cab long bed truck towing the 5er and though I got a great deal...the same money might have netted me a class C, but possibly not even a DP then..

Most of us aren't fortunate enough to write off our units as a per diem with our company.

bedroom head space is almost 6' 7"...you could stand up easily in any room in my 5er,

Farmer David

Mattoon, ILL.

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/12 06:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome newby, I have always needed a truck for my work so and easy choice for me, plus I can back up a trailer, I am not good enough to back up a MH pulling a toad. Plus I just like pickups

2013 F450 King Ranch CC Long Box
60 Gal RDS Tank
20K B&W OEM Hitch
2013 Lifestyle 37IK

bailer6334

Prescott, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/12 07:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have been given a lot to think about, and here is one more. Have the DW drive a class A, then a truck. Is she comfortable driving the class A? From experience at least in my case the DW was not comfortable driving the class A and thats why we have what we have.

2011 Arctic Fox 29-5T 5th Wheel
2011 Silverado HD 3500 6.6L Duramax Diesel Crew Cab
Short Bed 4X4 SRW LT
50gal Transfer Flow Aux. Tank
16K Valley Hitch w/bed saver

Keith M

Cle Elum

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/12 08:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the majority of people its a question of economics and how much you want to put into your RV. For serious RVers that have the resources the majority will opt of a class A and a tow vehicle. If you already have a capable pickup then its easy to go the fifth wheel route. As an example of the economics a decent used fifth wheel setup might cost $35,000 and a similar sized Class A and used tow vehicle might be $70,000. I can see putting twice as much money into a Class A than the fifth wheel.

The economics of going to Arizona for one month is pretty stiff with an RV. I just spent $640 just for fuel one way. Round trip was probably $1500 with stops. There are a lot of people who skip the RV purchase altogether and rent a park model and drive a car down for a month or two. Staying out in the desert for 3-4 months or traveling around then it makes sense to have an RV.

joebedford

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/12 08:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Motorhomes - not enough headroom
Motorhomes - have to drag toad behind
Motorhomes - can't back up with toad behind
Motorhomes - no space for toys
Motorhomes - a very expensive piece of machinery to leave parked for months (if you're a snowbird)

avvidclif1

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/12 09:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had a Class A, Class C, BP(2), and now a 5th wheel. They each have their pluses and minuses. The biggest thing that sticks out in my mind is when my 5er sits for an extended period of time there is no harm. If a motor vehicle sits like that a lot you will have maintenance problems, especially with a gas engine. I can drive my TV daily or once a week without a problem and it helps keep it in good condition. A MH is not so easy to drive on a regular basis. Imagine once a week unhooking the MH and driving to the store and making your shopping laps. It seemed like every time I wanted to use the MH I had to do something to it.

2 cents worth.

Clif & Millie
Ozzie half a dog tall and 2 dogs long
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2013 Crossroads Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Newbie on the forum
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels