|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Shorter 5th wheel with large water and waste tanks

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mike-uswest

Central Point, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/12 01:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keith M wrote:

Going from an Alpenlite to a Cougar is a step down in quality. You are going from a snowbird rig to a weekend rig. I would find the space for a slide . I have always increased water capacity by carrying 4-7gallon jugs.

A short rear-living unit with a full slide is going to be hard to find. Finding a quality built rig like an Alpenlite, mid-line Jayco, etc narrows the field a bit. Heres a rig that fits the slide/rear living, under 28. Its a 1999 Holiday Rambler. They didnt make many of these. Check this one out

We had some friends that had one like that. It was a nice rig. We do take 12 gallons of water with us now.

Mike

2003 Dodge 2500 CTD, 4X4,
1994 Alpenlite 26'fifth wheel
See picture in profile.

badbob1

Lewiston

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/12 04:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an Excel 28RT and is a nice unit but would take an Alpenlite over this one. If it was me depending on what needs done I would keep the Alpenlite. I have owned several Alpenlites and was sorry to see them go out of business. Without doubt one of the very best fivers ever built. Just my opinion and is worth what you paid me.
Good Luck
BadBob

mike-uswest

Central Point, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/12 08:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It has to be short to get into cubby holes that would be tough to get a VW Bug into, and be able to stand miles of washboard roads that drop your kidneys onto the floor of the truck. A tough dude. That is why I don't trust slide outs.

Mike

lynndiwagon

Yukon, Oklahoma, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/12 04:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've found that the shorter rigs benefit greatly from multiple slides. Our Hitchhiker has never had a glide leak and it's a 2006 triple slide. I found a link here for a rig that is identical to ours. Don't know the holding tank capacities but they are big enough for us to spend a week boondocking. We've spent WEEKS comfortably on the road with our rig. Good luck.

Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2005 Chevy 2500HD D/A
Vision 19.5" Wheels, BFG ST230 Tires
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

bowebow

resting in Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/12 07:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I koow this is not exactly what you want. I googled cameo 30ft found one on craigs list in pheonix 2003. its a place to start.

2007gmc duramax 2500hd
2013 Winnebago minnie

AZ T&T

Mesa, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/12 07:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 29' Jayco Super Lite has 92 a gallon fresh water tank 64 gallons of grey and 34 gallons of black. It also has a large slide in the living area.

AZ T&T
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 29.5RKS
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch - Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
Honda EU2000i Generator

mike-uswest

Central Point, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/12 08:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

oldbeek wrote:

I have a 1994 27sl Alpenlite. Been twice to Alaska for 24,000 miles and I like the boondock areas. Total milage 88,000 miles and lived in 3.5 years. Installed laminant floor. new edpm roof coating, lubed the slide screws and added wet shackles. I live on the desert with bad dust storms. The Alpenlite is never dusty inside,with slide in or out. Never has had tire wheel or axle problems. New red max pro polish job and it looks new. Would not trade it for anything other than another Alpenlite

I hear you, they are great units, and still look good and distinctive. I did the Red Max Pro thing, and she shines like a new rig, even after going through thick brush that I had to back out of, due to the fact that the road had become impassable. That was fun, 1/4 mile backing up hill to where I could turn around. I have had to replace both axles, and it looks like a new roof is on the way. Mine is the 26', so no slide, but the refrigerator did die out. We have only taken this one to Alaska once, but been all over the west in it. It is like a pair of old boots, kind of hard to get rid of.

Mike

johnvb

Virginia Beach /Virginia/USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/12 04:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also could look for a used Open Range RF280rls or RF287rls fifth wheel.

oldbeek

lancaster CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/12 11:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 1994 27sl Alpenlite. Been twice to Alaska for 24,000 miles and I like the boondock areas. Total milage 88,000 miles and lived in 3.5 years. Installed laminant floor. new edpm roof coating, lubed the slide screws and added wet shackles. I live on the desert with bad dust storms. The Alpenlite is never dusty inside,with slide in or out. Never has had tire wheel or axle problems. New red max pro polish job and it looks new. Would not trade it for anything other than another Alpenlite

1994 27sl Alpenlite, 2001 Dodge Cummins auto 3.54 stock

Lowsuv

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/12 08:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Research Komfort , made in Milwaukie , Oregon.
I am not up on the new models.
We camp down gravel roads , also up here in the Ponderosa along side the streams and lakes.
My 2002 Komfort 21T is very sturdy after lots of remote camping , has 50 fresh , 6 gal heated , 45 gray , and 45 black.
Axle GVW is 7240 # and the actual weight on the axles is 4800 to 5300 # in practice. Lots of reserve capacity.
I am not up on the new models because I do not need to be.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Shorter 5th wheel with large water and waste tanks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS