RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Is Alaska biggest tourist trap?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> Is Alaska biggest tourist trap?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
johnwalkerpa1

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/12 05:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edosmar wrote:

Dry camp $15-$25, water and electric $28-$43 .

On a 'sort of' related note, do most people actually think that the prices above are high for a campsite? I really don't. I've paid a good bit more for sites at many places.....and when you stop to consider what you get for those prices and what it costs to run a campground (esp where you have a short season), I sure can't complain about prices like those....

Edosmar

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/12 07:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At the moment we are camped in the best/largest campground most modern campground (as per milepost). Our camp sight is gravel, it is a back in sight, our neighbor is 10 feet from our door, cars and trucks and RVs drive past the front of our unit because the whole line of camp sites are part of the road into the RV park. At least it is level.
We planed on this trip for years, spent time reading about others that RVed through Alaska, went to talks given by those that spent time here and purchased books written by travelers about their time Rving in Alaska. Yes the scenery is wonderful but what if you can't see it? Alaska seems not to be very handicapped friendly.
Alaska is a nice place to visit but not the end all that many make it out to be.

resmas

temporarily displaced Alaskan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/12 07:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not blind, nor am I handicapped, so I do not necessarily notice the things that a handicapped person might. But, I thought there were federal standards that all public places must abide by in the ADA.

I suppose privately owned campgrounds and businesses in Alaska might meet the minimum standards vs. big corporations (i.e. Walmart, McD's, etc.) that probably have the budget to exceed the standards. I know many of the hiking trails are wheelchair accessible as far as possible. Denali bus tours can accomodate wheelchairs, as can their campgrounds, which have handicapped sites. The Russian River Ferry is handicapped/wheelchair accessible and there is a specific handicapped fishing area right next to the landing.

I cannot speak for being blind, but I would *assume* a blind person would be able to enjoy the same non-sight experiences in Alaska that they experience in the lower 48. Sounds: of eagles, waves, wind through the trees, rushing rivers. Scents: of the forest, the ocean...

2012 Dutchmen Voltage Epic 3795
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW MC
2009 GMC 2500 DA CC
2012 Smart-for-two (sometimes hitches a ride in the Voltage!)
2005 Sundowner Sunlite 777

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/12 09:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't rely on the Milepost for campground information. The campgrounds write their own information so you know they'll be great. Instead, pick up the book by Mike and Terri Church, "Alaskan Campgrounds". They lived in Alaska and travel the highways all the time updating their information. They give an assortment of price ranges for different types of campgrounds. Also, many times we didn't even use campgrounds but instead, just spotted a scenic pull-off to spend the night - saved us some $$$. Hope the rest of your trip gets better. We thought it was fantastic!

Full-Timers for 16 Years
.... Now Seasonal
2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
2014 Chevy Equinox
2004 Jeep Liberty - for our fun

tonyandkaren

pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/12 09:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

resmas wrote:

I am not blind, nor am I handicapped, so I do not necessarily notice the things that a handicapped person might. But, I thought there were federal standards that all public places must abide by in the ADA.

I suppose privately owned campgrounds and businesses in Alaska might meet the minimum standards vs. big corporations (i.e. Walmart, McD's, etc.) that probably have the budget to exceed the standards. I know many of the hiking trails are wheelchair accessible as far as possible. Denali bus tours can accomodate wheelchairs, as can their campgrounds, which have handicapped sites. The Russian River Ferry is handicapped/wheelchair accessible and there is a specific handicapped fishing area right next to the landing.

I cannot speak for being blind, but I would *assume* a blind person would be able to enjoy the same non-sight experiences in Alaska that they experience in the lower 48. Sounds: of eagles, waves, wind through the trees, rushing rivers. Scents: of the forest, the ocean...

We've visited Alaska three times , most recently last summer. We've enjoyed every trip immensely but Alaska isn't very handicapped accessible which is very understandable considering the weather and terrain. It would be wonderful if all public places followed the ADA standards but sadly they don't.

To the OP - I don't know what your condition is but check the Alaska posts our blog for accessibility information. Our RV is very similar to yours - a short class C. We stayed in many very nice public campgrounds and also boondocked. Many of the attractions that we visited were free or had admission fees of $5.00 or less.

Our Fulltiming Blog

Clickable Attractions Maps

4x4 Custom Class C on F450 chassis

Sinterior

Kamloops BC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/12 12:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had to laugh at the topic!
One of the best stops we had in 2006 was at the Great Alaskan Tourist Trap.
Very good prices on quality stuff, DW bought a jacket there and still loves it.

Pete
Terry

2011 Chev 3500HD 4X4 C/C S/B D/A SRW
2011 Montana 3665RE
150 watt solar, 4 6v golf cart batteries, 1750 watt inverter
Hijacker 21k Ultra slide double pivot hitch
Pressure Pro TPMS
Garmin dezl 560LMT

RangerJay

Northern Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/12 05:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are clearly some "tourist traps" in Alaska - but there is a heck of a lot more empty space .....

...... guess it depends on where (and when) you are ..... be hard pressed to say you were not smack in the middle of a tourism trap when 10 cruise ships are anchored in Skagway .....

..... or you would be just as hard pressed to say you were not in the middle of God's country when you're travelling the Top of the World highway (and very much alone .....)

Jay

2002 Bambi 19' - the "Toaster"
2009 Nissan Pathfinder - the "Buggy"

bmcdonald

georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/12 08:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

well we know when we travel for month's your going to drop some $$$.. if you don't want to spend do like someone said, lot cheaper to stay 'home'.. but we like spending our 'children's inhertiance' as they say. we are in Dawson Creek now headed up and enjoying every second for our third trip.. do more boondocking to save $$.. we will be headed to the Denali and Dalton and all the free awesome scenery, wildlife your brain can handle.. Take a deep breath, regroup and enjoy rest of your time..

Alaskan Class C

Anchorage

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/12 10:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Food costs to get heremare about 10% higher than down there it raises the price of food, but thanks to big box stores alot of prices are actually cheaper thwn the lower48. Best buy will price match their own website or even walmarts prices, so we can get things at the same price as down there plus we have no tax....

The average price of a house is $350,000 and is around 2000 square feet on on a 10k sqft lot....

Other things like cars and rvs are way marked up since it's spendy to get them here.

As far as tourist traps go anyone ever been to muckluk land in Tok? It's always closed when I go there I'm kinda curious what that place is all about....

We also have Alaska Land in Fairbanks, I heard it closed though I haven't been to fairbanks in about 5 years...

The musk ox farm in palmer, the reindeer farm in butte, Wolf country usa in Palmer, The native, cultureal center here in Anchorage(I like this one though) , I'm sure there are more....

Oh and gas dropped 4 cents last night it is now 3.95 In anchorage....so 3.85 with a FredMeyer card at shell or Freddy stations.

1978 Itasca, It's old but I own it....

explorenorth

Whitehorse, Yukon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/12 08:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Yukon is a bit more expensive than Alaska on average. People who live here pay the same as visitors for everything. So how dumb does a person have to be to spend 22 years here and to never plan on leaving? If $$ is your criteria for a good place to visit, this may not be the place for you. And if you have to ask what the attraction is, you wouldn't understand if I tried to tell you. Different strokes for different folks and all that...

Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> Is Alaska biggest tourist trap?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska