RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Caffeine Boost Power In Elderly Muscles

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Caffeine Boost Power In Elderly Muscles

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
down home

south

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/12 01:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've been told that caffeine/coffee is bad for us....well....most everything is bad for us.
Then comes along "information" that coffee is good for Diabetes and assorted other ills.
Now they say caffeine is great for aging muscles.
Can you imagine everyone playing Rummy on 110 octane.
Perhaps a Latte iv drip or reprogrammed insulin pump with hight test coffee is just what we need?

Jim Shoe

Amelia, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/12 02:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Give it a week. "They" (whoever that is) will change their mind... again.

Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/12 02:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It all depends on who is funding the study...

Dutch_12078

Great Sacandaga Lake, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/12 03:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If anyone hasn't been following the health news for the past 5 or 6 years, a Google search on the health benefits of coffee may prove enlightening. Bottom line, taken in moderation, coffee appears to be much more beneficial to our health than previously thought, with the benefits significantly outweighing the risks.

Dutch
1995 Coachmen Catalina 322QBXL
F53 chassis, 460 V8, TST TPMS
Quadra Bigfoot EZE Levelers
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/12 05:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good one.. Caffeine slows the digestion, this can have a beneficial effect for Diabetics as it "Lowers" the glycemic index of what you eat (Slows it down in short).

Frankly.. I ignore the coffee alarmists and drink it,, I mean back when I wore much smaller cloths both my younger (Nearly 2 years younger) and I both started drinking coffee at much the same time, Back then the story was "It will stunt your growth"

I'm 6'3" he's 6'6.5"

Sure it stunted our growth.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Dutch_12078

Great Sacandaga Lake, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/12 06:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

Good one.. Caffeine slows the digestion, this can have a beneficial effect for Diabetics as it "Lowers" the glycemic index of what you eat (Slows it down in short).

Frankly.. I ignore the coffee alarmists and drink it,, I mean back when I wore much smaller cloths both my younger (Nearly 2 years younger) and I both started drinking coffee at much the same time, Back then the story was "It will stunt your growth"

I'm 6'3" he's 6'6.5"

Sure it stunted our growth.

But you might have topped out at 7 feet without the coffee, John. You'll never know...

Dutch

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/12 06:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can't believe everything you read.I drink "lite" beer,and still gained weight.

Other half is camping with the angels,Riding alone for now.

2008 3500 Dodge Ram CTD dually 4X4 SOLD
2007 Gulfstream Endura Max 40 SOLD
2001 Polaris Ranger 4X4 SOLD
Harley Dyna Lowrider.

Mod Pics

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and JAX, Fla

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/12 07:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mlts22 wrote:

It all depends on who is funding the study...

Boy, you got that right ... and

Went to doctor the other day - she says: Can't eat carbs, sugar too high in blood. Don't eat bread, chocolate, cookies, pasta, no soda and no fruit or fruit juice -- and BTW, you got a little gout in a toe, so don't eat spinach, chicken, turkey, fish or steak. AND, NO blueberries or potatoes. NO muffins either.

SO, we're buying the lot next door - it's got a nice crop of sweet green grass this summer, so we'll be grazing it each AM and PM. We're picking up carrots for dessert.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & JAX Fla
GMC 2500 4x4 Sierra X-Cab
2008 Lance 845
2002 Angler 8B
Back-country camping fanatic

Shearwater

NE Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/12 04:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't believe that there ever has been any data showing harmful effects of coffee. That is really surprising considering that caffeine is a pretty powerful stimulant.

I'm a little hesitant to get on my soapbox here because this forum isn't too fond of controversy but here goes anyway.

To start with, my credentials are that I am a biochemist who has worked in academia and later in a private research lab that tested pesticides for the EPA and pharmaceuticals for the FDA.

Some of the comments in this thread demonstrate a cynical attitude to studies like this stuff on coffee. For the most part your cynicism is justified. There are a lot of poorly done studies that give preliminary results suggesting that compound X might increase the incidence of cancer/heart disease/autism/ or you name it. This gets published in some third rate journal. Now the real value of this kind of study is that it points our a possible problem with compound X that deserves to be further investigated in properly done study. However, the news media pick up the story and make a headlines that "compound X has been shown to cause cancer/heart disease/autism/ or you name it.

The scientific illiteracy of the news media is astounding. All they can do is parrot what the researcher tells them and, of course, they can trumpet this misinformation as a headline to get an audience for their newspaper or news program.

The sad part of all this is that it becomes impossible for the general public to differentiate between hazards that are real, such as the dangers of cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc, from the hazards that are not.

The other bad thing is that it gives science a bad name that the vast majority of scientists don't deserve.

End of rant

* This post was edited 06/30/12 05:15pm by Shearwater *

J 35 sailboat
Sportsmobile Sprinter

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and JAX, Fla

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/12 10:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote: "The scientific illiteracy of the news media is astounding. All they can do is parrot what the researcher tells them and, of course, they can trumpet this misinformation as a headline to get an audience for their newspaper or news program."

As a researcher and journalist myself, I agree whole-heartedly with this comment. Am truly amazed at what some journalists (hesitate to actually allow some that label, it demeans the title) will write errors under a byline - and then take a bow ... the misinformation does more damage than good.

To do good work, you need at least two, usually more, independent sources that are not connected. Even then, you get distortions if you don't truly do your background homework - then, on top of that, editors come in and change what you write (often without fact-checks) and then publish a mistake under your byline -

Don't get me wrong, there are lots of very good journalists out there - problem is distinguishing between them. Now, it's 'sell the news' attitude as long as it close to accurate, no one remembers after a day anyway.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Caffeine Boost Power In Elderly Muscles
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS