RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Norcold N611 cooling problem.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Norcold N611 cooling problem.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Mark42

Garner, Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/12 07:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi everyone.
Thought I would ask the pros here before I spend more $$ on parts.
Fridge was cooling fine, til 2 days ago when the outside temp approached 100 degrees.
Next day light bilnks 5 times then stops for a few sec then repeats.
Local repair guy tried several times to re-set the power board, That didn't work and then he said it needs a new board.
Ugh!!!
That wouldn't be too bad if this wouldn't have been about the 4th or 5th time I had trouble with this stupid fridge.
Any suggestions.

2007 GMC 1500 ext.4x4, 5.3L, 3.73axle
2003 Jayco 256D Travel Trailer
Reese Dual Cam

Kirk

Livingston, Texas.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/12 07:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The first thing that I suggest is that you visit the side of Bryant RV and download a copy of the N611 service manual.

Looking at that manual, the fault code that you have indicates that there is no cooling. It refers you to pages 21 and also 37. Page 21 is the power board reset procedure. Page 37 gives instructions for trouble shooting the cooling unit. On page 39 there is a flowchart that walks you through what you should check step by step to determine if the problem is the cooling unit.

Based upon what you have said, I am just a little bit skeptical about the ability of the tech who made that service call. As a career service tech in a similar field, I have found that RV shops are full of techs who have little or no understanding of the basics of electricity and as such then trouble shoot by following written instructions and swapping parts. I believe that you would be wise to spend some time yourself if you have a little bit of repair savy.

Good travelin! ........Kirk
Professional Volunteer
Fulltimer for 11 years,
URL: www.adventure.1tree.net

big whitey

raleigh,nc

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/12 08:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mark42 wrote:

Hi everyone.
Fridge was cooling fine, til 2 days ago when the outside temp approached 100 degrees.
Local repair guy tried several times to re-set the power board, That didn't work and then he said it needs a new board.
Ugh!!!
That wouldn't be too bad if this wouldn't have been about the 4th or 5th time I had trouble with this stupid fridge.
Any suggestions.

repeat after me "I WILL NEVER EVER NEVER AGAIN BUY A PIECE OF JUNK ABSORPTION FRIDGE"

i have been where you are now more times than i care to remember.it took me some thirty odd years but i finally wised up and went with a compressor fridge and haven't looked back,suggest you do the same.

sorry for your troubles.

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/12 10:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

big whitey wrote:

Mark42 wrote:

Hi everyone.
Ugh!!!
Any suggestions.

repeat after me "I WILL NEVER EVER NEVER AGAIN BUY A PIECE OF JUNK ABSORPTION FRIDGE"

i have been where you are now more times than i care to remember.it took me some thirty odd years but i finally wised up and went with a compressor fridge and haven't looked back,suggest you do the same.

sorry for your troubles.

There is nothing 'wrong' with the technology of an absorption frig.

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/12 10:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kirk wrote:

The first thing that I suggest is that you visit the side of Bryant RV and download a copy of the N611 service manual.

Looking at that manual, the fault code that you have indicates that there is no cooling. It refers you to pages 21 and also 37. Page 21 is the power board reset procedure. Page 37 gives instructions for trouble shooting the cooling unit. On page 39 there is a flowchart that walks you through what you should check step by step to determine if the problem is the cooling unit.

Based upon what you have said, I am just a little bit skeptical about the ability of the tech who made that service call. As a career service tech in a similar field, I have found that RV shops are full of techs who have little or no understanding of the basics of electricity and as such then trouble shoot by following written instructions and swapping parts. I believe that you would be wise to spend some time yourself if you have a little bit of repair savy.

2x

It just takes a short time to follow the hot wiring test and is required to keep from throwing money at it.

Almot

Vancouver BC

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/12 01:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

big whitey wrote:

it took me some thirty odd years but i finally wised up and went with a compressor fridge and haven't looked back

It can get damn hot in NC, so how your compressor fridge has been coping - and for how many seasons already? In residential setting they can last almost forever. In RV they are subjected to the same tortures of vibration and corrosion as absorption fridges, so I would expect problems more often. But less often than in absorption units because there are fewer joints.

I agree with another poster that there is nothing wrong with absorption technology - except for maintenance and rising propane costs.

Stp_1985

Dilley

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/12 01:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i can check your fridge out. sounds like the board is in lock out mode. get that thing runnings in 15 minutes

RVIA/RVDA Certified RV Technician
www.ScrussandSmithRV.com
Movile RV Tech
Based in Dilley, TX
Russell "Scruss" Williams - Owner

Mark42

Garner, Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/12 06:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

THANK YOU!!!!
I got the board re-set, & now my fridge is working!
That link to the service manual was the ticket.
Thanks!

big whitey

raleigh,nc

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/12 08:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gale Hawkins wrote:

big whitey wrote:

Mark42 wrote:

Hi everyone.
Ugh!!!
Any suggestions.

sorry for your troubles.

There is nothing 'wrong' with the technology of an absorption frig.

i beg to differ,30 years of frustration with the absorption fridge led me to this conclusion.

big whitey

raleigh,nc

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/12 08:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Almot wrote:

big whitey wrote:

it took me some thirty odd years but i finally wised up and went with a compressor fridge and haven't looked back

It can get damn hot in NC, so how your compressor fridge has been coping - and for how many seasons already? In residential setting they can last almost forever. In RV they are subjected to the same tortures of vibration and corrosion as absorption fridges, so I would expect problems more often. But less often than in absorption units because there are fewer joints.

I agree with another poster that there is nothing wrong with absorption technology - except for maintenance and rising propane costs.

thought you would never ask.just got back from 12 days of boondocking on the beach in NC.inside temp of the camper was 90 degrees plus during the day(no AC on).at setting 5 of 7 i maintained a temperature of 30 degrees in the fridge(ice cold beverages). how many absorption fridges are capable of this type of performance.

yes,maintenace and reliability(performance) issues is why a compressor fridge is the better choice and for me much more efficient as i use 0 propane and maintenance is restricted to defrosting.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Norcold N611 cooling problem.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS