RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Hybrid Travel Trailers: How hot is too hot?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> How hot is too hot?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Jeremy626

Chicago Burbs

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/12 08:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also agree with closing the bunk end curtains during the day. PUGS/space blankets are a must. We have a couple small 8" fans we can move around to get additional air circulation in the trailer. I also cycle between the down blast A/C use and the ducted ceiling to even things out.

Having a plug in volt meter to show you what the power draw is on the CG power grid. I have a 50 amp dog bone and when the power dips down on the 30 am circuits, I sometimes switch to the 50 am circuits and see how the draw is on that part of the grid.

Jeremy

Rig: 2011 Palomino Stampede S-21RGS 3 Bed Hybrid
TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ 5.3L V8, 3.73
Equal-i-zer, Prodigy BC

bikendan

Napa, Cal.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/12 08:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Joy wrote:

PUGS as in dogs? They have very low tolerance for hot weather - I wouldn't subject them to it this weekend.

members of the Hybrid forum know that PUGs is short for Popup Gizmos, a common mod on hybrids.

Dan- Firefighter, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP), 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LS, 2007 Rockwood Roo 23SS w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

jjjandrbaker

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/12 09:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a Coachman Clipper last summer. I took it out several times when the temperatures were soaring in or near the low 100s. I did not have PUGS, although I did buy some space blankets to make them with, which I ended up reselling when I got my trailer. I found that I was only able to keep the popup at around 85 degrees in the heat of the day if shaded and just under 90 if not shaded. But, it did cut the humidity way down. Once the sun set, the temperature went way down and was very comfortable for sleeping.

I didn't spend much time in popup during the day, but on one particularly hot and humid trip to Bastrop State Park, before the fire, my dog could only take the trails for about an hour at a time. We spent many breaks in the popup. It was not cool by any stretch, but as I said, it let us escape the humidity for a few minutes, which seemed to help him out.

Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

AnOBRN

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/12 11:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all. Really like this hybrid group. I've ventured out a few times and it hasn't been pretty.

We have reflectix that we used to keep warm and will use it again to keep cool. Need to get bunk fans, ESP for the back bunk. We may even keep one end up and have the kids sleep on the dinette if it's too warm.

All part of the adventure that makes camping so memorable.

Amy

dadmomh

Jackson, TN

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/12 01:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Closing one end might be the answer to your question. Less space to cool and less area getting heated from the outside. Have a good weekend, wherever.

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604
2003 Ford F-150 with Blue Ox 1000
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Foxy is our new camping buddy.
Our rescued sisters, Biscuit and Lily, are now 1 year old!
Support responsibility....Spay/Neuter!

GpaVader

Brooklyn Park, MN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/12 11:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just got back from camping in the Wisc Dells where it got to 100 a few times with plenty of humidity. The CG we stayed at had plenty of shade and we were out doing activities at the water park or in AC, so we left the AC on low to keep the temp cool. It worked out just fine. Fridge was good and kept up well...

I think the other part of the equation is what do you need and what can you work with....

'13 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
'12 Syline Koala 24RBK

el.jefe

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/12 12:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

also just returned from a trip here in michigan. 101 was the high. We had a shady site and the AC rocked it in our 3 bunk (that's a lot of canvas to keep cool) hybrid. Kept it really nice and cool inside. It was too hot to do much outside besides swimming and sprinkler for the kids during the day. Didn't go through much firewood either, it was still 85 at midnight!

2011 Jayco X18D
2003 GMC Safari
Room for me, the wife, and the 5 kids

PAThwacker

East Stroudsburg, PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/12 08:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had temps reaching 84 degrees inside our hybrid last weekend. It was a typical scorching PA weekend with outside temps in the upper 90's. I will be ordering super high wind PUGs soon. We didn't need them with the pup, but now we have a baby sleeping inside, or want to leave a dog in there, the upper 80's aren't going to cut the mustard.

2008 Starcraft Travelstar Sport 21RBH
2008 Chevy Trailblazer V8 3.42/ 2004 k2500 Suburban LT 6.0/3.73 Captains.
Lowe 1448 Big Jon, 25hp tiller, 55lb MK transom TM.
Old Town Guide 147 Canoe
Me, DW, dd08, dd12, 88lb black lab!

AnOBRN

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/12 03:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just got back from a weekend of 100 temps. Eek! We had thought about heading to MI to escape the heat but it sounds hot up there too.

Anyways, we used PUGS, reflectix, and closed the bunk curtains during the day. We also ran the a/c on cool but not cold, if that makes any sense.

We had no issues keeping the unit cool, and a couple of times the kids actually complained that they were cold.

Thank you for your help.

atreis

IN

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 05:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Daytime: doesn't matter. Night time: It's too hot when it doesn't fall below ~72 overnight. Without air conditioning that can make for uncomfortable sleeping.

2009 Trail-Sport TS21RBH
2008 Toyota Sienna

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> How hot is too hot?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: