RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Slow Down! (Tennessee - I65 Accident)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Slow Down! (Tennessee - I65 Accident)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Markiemark32

Atlanta

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/12 09:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

eric james wrote:

This is why I drive an Expedition (wish an Excursion). I want a fighting chance in a head on like this accident.

Thought you were going to say "it won't go over 60 MPH!"

Horrible story, above, be caerful out there!

Markiemark

JJBIRISH

Butler, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/12 09:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Every driver should have to be trained in basic life support and in helping extricate people from these mangled messes as a part of their privilege to drive… most people are to distant from the real effects and results of their actions…

They should see close up the results of the dumb ideas they have about speed booze, or texting on the highways…

When you have pull someone out from under the front seat whose shoes and half their clothing has been ripped from their bodies, it makes you think long and hard… the ONLY good thing about it is you no longer need to hurry…

Any and every accident is made worse by speed…

You just knew that people were going to jump on the fact speed wasn’t mentioned in the OP article…

Preaching to the choir is ok, it can’t be said to often, we see every day the need for repeating it…

Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

Charolaisbreeders

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/12 09:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mister d - when I look at the article and picture you linked I can see that this TT was a Jayco and I believe a JayFlight but the television name covers all the other TT markings. Were you able to see if this was one of the single axle design TT's? With years of pulling all types of trailers I know single axles are much less stable then double and have had some worries about how large the lightweight single axle units are being made. We looked in some of the single axle trailers when we bought our Jayco 264BH just out of curiosity a few months back and I would not have wanted to pull them.

1998 F150 4WD, Heavy Tow package - rated for over 7,700 pounds
2009 F150 4WD STX Tow Package - rated for 10500 pounds
2012 Jayco Jay Flight Swift
Honz our German Shepherd rules with Novak the Doberman terror puppy!!

coolbreeze01

Redding, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/12 10:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The other day, the campers next to us went for a drive. Someone pulled right out in front of them. That driver died, the campers survived with injuries. You just never know.......

2008 Dodge 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

LBL 1206

Land Between the Lakes, TN

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/12 11:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Charolaisbreeders wrote:

mister d - when I look at the article and picture you linked I can see that this TT was a Jayco and I believe a JayFlight but the television name covers all the other TT markings. Were you able to see if this was one of the single axle design TT's? With years of pulling all types of trailers I know single axles are much less stable then double and have had some worries about how large the lightweight single axle units are being made. We looked in some of the single axle trailers when we bought our Jayco 264BH just out of curiosity a few months back and I would not have wanted to pull them.

Trailer was too big for a single axle. Only Jayco single axle trailer are the Swift SLX 185-145 bh. and Skylark.

bigdogger

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/12 11:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reading the update indicates that apparently there was the pickup and camper along with another vehicle traveling apparently together at a high rate of speed. Though they mention speed, speed alone doesn't cause you to cross the median. We may never know, but there are countless possibilities that could have contributed. Things like improper loading of the trailer, cross winds, tire failure, distracted driving, the car and the truck pushing each other playing follow the leader. Blaming speed as the sole factor would probably be wrong. If they were going slower, the rig still may have crossed the center line and hit an innocent oncoming vehicle. Maybe the only thing speed did was randomly select the innocent victim, and spared someone else.

JJBIRISH

Butler, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/12 12:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“Tennessee Highway Patrol said speed was to blame in a crash that killed one person on Interstate 65 just outside of Millersville.”

“Police said that at least four cars were involved in the wreck and several people were injured.

“Officials with the Tennessee Highway Patrol said that the crash involved a pickup truck pulling a trailer and another vehicle. According to reports both cars were driving at excessive speeds when the pickup truck lost control and went across the median and hit a vehicle on the southbound side.”

It sounds pretty clear that speed was the cause, no matter what contributing factors helped set the accident up…

Based on the reports and as written it sounds like towing double may have been contributing…. A PICK UP PULLING A TRAILER AND ANOTHER VEHICLE, looses control and strikes a vehicle head on… a total of 4 vehicles were involved…

Huntindog

phoenix arizona USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/12 01:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless the TT was parked, then speed was the cause.

Huntindog
2010 Palomino Sabre 30BHDS
TWO bathrooms...No waiting!
MICHELIN XPS RIBS LRE
2011 Silverado Big Dually 3500 4x4 CC D/A
EQUALIZER Hitch
100% BOONDOCKING
Check out Rusty and her pups at www.bluecollarbrittanys.com

rcase13

Charlotte

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/12 01:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JJBIRISH wrote:

Based on the reports and as written it sounds like towing double may have been contributing…. A PICK UP PULLING A TRAILER AND ANOTHER VEHICLE, looses control and strikes a vehicle head on… a total of 4 vehicles were involved…

Yeah I read the same thing. It looks like they were double towing and speeding. The really sad thing is the driver that was double towing and speeding will get misdemeanor vehicular manslaughter and serve 2 years at most.

In my mind they knew they could kill someone. Any time your double towing and speeding you know your actions could kill. Oh well maybe others will learn from this. If your going to tow at least do it at a safe speed especially if your double towing.

2013 Jayco Redhawk 26XS

mister_d

Southeast, MI - hardly qualified to be a

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/12 09:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had to stop for gas soon after getting past the mess. While there, I was talking to a few other guys (who were local) about that stretch of highway and the number of accidents occurring. It sounds like this is an all too familiar story to them and they too said there are always campers being towed too fast for the area (hills, curves, strong cross winds that sneak up).

Oops - I linked the wrong article - the first one I read mentioned speed several times.

This was a double axle Jayco that was not towing something else. The wording in the article had me confused at first too.

The skid marks that I saw were quite short before they led to the grassy median. It may not mean anything but I found it odd.

Our Adventures
Me '77 DW '78
DD '04 DS '07
Yellowstone + more Trip Report
2011 F150 4x4 Ecoboost 6.5 SCREW 3.73 Max Tow
2011 Lacrosse 296BHS video tour
Hensley Arrow

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Slow Down! (Tennessee - I65 Accident)