RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Yellowstone for beginners

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Yellowstone for beginners

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
narcodog

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/12 09:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ivylog wrote:

narcodog wrote:

There are couple of primitive CG's west of Flagg Ranch on the Grassy Lake road.

When I show up and they are full I'll know who to blame as the first one is my favorite place to stay... for free. I tried to camp there on May 12 of this year and they had the Grassy Lake road blocked off and Flagg Ranch was not open yet.
Two years ago I watch them replace all of perfectly good plastic outhouses with concrete ones. What a waste of our stimulus money.
OP, this is a good location to do the southern part of YS as it's only a couple of miles from the south entrance.

I have not been able to camp there myself, they have been filled. I drove to Grassy Lake dam and on the far side is a nice place to camp. Got up one morning and there was a Bald Eagle outside my door.

Eurocamper

Salt Lake City, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/12 10:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ivylog wrote:

Two years ago I watch them replace all of perfectly good plastic outhouses with concrete ones. What a waste of our stimulus money.

I witnessed that too. What a huge waste. They also spent that summer paving over dozens of miles of perfectly good roads throughout the park with a cap of new asphalt. There are plenty of roads in the region that could have benefited from those construction dollars.

2008 Fleetwood Evolution E1
2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 Hemi
2007 Nissan Xterra 4x4
Ex 1997 Volkswagen Eurovan Camper

rfryer

Phoenix

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/12 03:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want off the beaten path and away from the busier campgrounds you’ll have some difficulty if you want generator use. For seclusion and wildlife Slough Creek would be on my short list. It’s been many years since I was there and I was in a PU. My memories vague, but it’s a small campground, first come first serve, and I seem to remember heavy on tent campers. I just don’t remember how big an RV it would take or how many spaces for one there might be. Also, Yellowstone is huge and you’ll do a lot of driving from there to see everything. You could do some checking on the net, or maybe someone who has been there recently will post with more current information.

Norris is closer in which reduces the driving. It’s bigger than Slough Creek, but like it in that it’s non-reservable, heavy on tents, and I think no generators allowed. Lewis Lake is heavily treed and is near the YS-Teton border. It’s roughly the size of Norris and because of the lake it’s popular with fishermen. Again, no generators and non-reservable. So I think you’ll have to compromise some, if you want secluded, good chances of seeing wildlife from camp, and can go dry you have some options. The downside being you’ll do a lot of driving to see the rest of the park. If you want the generator and less driving you’ll have to stay more centralized and in the busier campgrounds.

There’s so much to see there that you’ll run out of time before you do places. In the northeast you have Tower Fall and some elements of petrified forest and in the northwest Mammoth Hot Springs. In the southwest Old Faithful and all the various geysers. And in the east and south Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, Hayden Valley – a good place for deer, elk, and bison – and Yellowstone Lake. Fewer people visit the north part of the park so it probably qualifies as the less visited places. Good luck and have a great trip.

RVerDiane

Madison, Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/12 03:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My MH is 22' plus tow bar; but I have to get my car in there too. Would I fit in sites at Lizard Creek? I'd love to try it. Depends on how fussy they are about how your car fits into the site. Do you know?

I have solar power too but many CG's are too shady for this to be useful.

Thanks.

Diane
Madison, WI
'94 Horizon 21 1/2'
towing '04 Honda CRV

RVerDiane

Madison, Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/12 12:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all you information. I will need to run my generator a little so that rules out some CG's, right?

I'm quite familiar with the Tetons and have always camped at Gros Ventre. I have thought of trying Lizard Creek as it's near Yellowstone but not the NE section, which sounds like what I would like. I'd love to see wildlife.

Eurocamper

Salt Lake City, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/12 02:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Generators are verboten in Tower, Slough, Pebble Creek, Lewis Lake and Indian Creek campgrounds in Yellowstone. The rule is strictly enforced and cheaters will get shut down quickly. Slough and Pebble Creek are my favorite campgrounds in the park, and the best base for wildlife watching in the fabulous Lamar Valley.

I wouldn't dismiss any of them because of the generator rules, you can always move your motor home outside of the campground for a few hours and charge up.

Lizard Creek is, in my opinion, the best RV campground in the Tetons for natural beauty and solitude (Jenny Lake campground is tents-only). Some of the sites are right on the lake shore, with views of the Teton range from your camp. The sites are generally quite small. The best sites, and the ones closest to the lake, are in the no-generator loop.

Parrothead Mike

SW Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/12 03:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We camped for a week in Grand Teton NP last July (5 days at Gros Ventre and 2 at Coulter Bay). Those two days at Coulter Bay were spent driving up and visiting Yellowstone. To be honest, we weren't overly impressed with Yellowstone. Granted, we didn't visit every corner of the park, but the traffic and crowds at the places we visited were a bit of a put-off.

On the other hand, we really enjoyed Grand Teton. The hiking trails were great and views were extremely beautiful. We took lots of photos. Before we went I had read various threats on this web site and I believe that for the 7 nights there we did it right, spending more time in Grand Teton. The wildlife and natural beauty in GTNP was worth the time we spent there.

2002 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2001 25' Cardinal LXDS
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

RVerDiane

Madison, Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/12 07:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I plan on spending 2 weeks in the Tetons if possible. I don't know what the limit is for days in a campground. I know Yellowstone is 14 day limit. Anyone know about Tetons?

narcodog

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/12 07:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RVerDiane wrote:

I plan on spending 2 weeks in the Tetons if possible. I don't know what the limit is for days in a campground. I know Yellowstone is 14 day limit. Anyone know about Tetons?

It's 14 days per CG not the Park. Fishing Bridge has no time limit.

Eurocamper

Salt Lake City, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/12 11:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RVerDiane wrote:

My MH is 22' plus tow bar; but I have to get my car in there too. Would I fit in sites at Lizard Creek?

Hard to say - NPS website says RV size limit is 30 feet. I know that there were some sites that would not accommodate my Xterra and tent trailer and others that would easily fit us. I think you'll just have to drive through and see for yourself.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Yellowstone for beginners
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS