|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> backup camera

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
joe0508

knoxville

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/12 12:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is the reason i was gonna cover it with enternabond tape.But if i can use the middle marker light somehow to run the cable i might go that route.My main concern with drilling a hole is wiring and creating a leak i cant stop.My fuse box is located close to this area where the marker lights are.

joe money

booty51

houston

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/12 03:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go to a marine supply and buy a clam shell cover to put over cable where it comes out the cap. It looks good seals the hole . Make sure you put calk in it and wipe off the excess after you install it.It will not leak .

fourmat

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/12 06:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would rather drill a 1/4 hole in the cap and drop the wire down than run it over the roof with 20' of tape Drilling the hole is easy and you will have to drill holes to mount the camera

2009 Challenger

joe0508

knoxville

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/12 09:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If i opted to go the clam shell route what size would you recommend when drilling a 3/4 inch hole.

fcooper

Richmond Hill, Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/12 09:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Joe

I think you're making this too hard. Look at the image below, at the top camera in the image. With this type of mount, you drill one hole large enough to pass the camera wires/connectors, mount the camera bracket with two self drilling screws, caulk around the cable, and you're done with the camera. On most motorhomes, the cable will drop down the cavity in the rear cap and can be placed along the frame rail.

Fred

Fred & Vicki
Richmond Hill, Ga
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor/Freightliner/330 Cat
2000 Honda Odyssey toad w SMI Silent Partner braking system
TST507 TPMS

joe0508

knoxville

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/12 08:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The clam shell sounds like what i need.I looked on the web at them and they are perfect.Thanks for that info.I just hope i wont have much of a problem snaking the cable down the end cap.

joe0508

knoxville

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/12 11:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok i will give it a try.Pray that it doesnt leak.Why is the camera in the photo aimed at the sky.

fcooper

Richmond Hill, Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/12 07:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The upper camera is not aimed at the sky, but it looks that way with the picture being taken from below the camera.

My monitor has 3 inputs. I wanted a camera for viewing tow bar/toad, and I also wanted a view further back on the roadway to see what's coming up behind the coach. The lower camera in the factory housing is a close up view, and the upper camera shows all lanes from part of the tow car to the horizon.

It's not for everyone, but running two cables is just as easy as running one. Another way to accomplish multiple views is with a camera with pan/tilt feature which requires only one cable run.

I hope you get your system installed. Use good caulk on the one hole and you'll be fine. On most coaches, even if it did leak, it would run down the back side of the fiberglass cap and drip out beneath the coach.
Fred

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> backup camera
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS