RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Been a heck of a trip home. . .

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Been a heck of a trip home. . .

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
vgoulette

Shallowater, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/12 12:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We made it from TX to TN (to visit former foster baby and her family) just fine, made it from TN to CT (to visit with DH's brother and sister-in-law) just fine. Then, we started home; had a blow-out in WV, lost three hours getting a new tire. Next day, had blow-out #2 in TN, and lost three hours getting a new tire there. About 30 miles down the road, had blow-out #3!!! I was terrified that original tire #4 or spare that had never been on the ground would blow, and we would REALLY be up salt creek without a paddle. We lost a day there since it was after 5:00 p.m. by the time blow-out #3 happened. We spent the night in a motel and was at the RV dealership/repair place by 8:00 a.m. We finally left there at 5:30 p.m. (with four brand new Goodyear Marathon tires on the ground and two off-brand brand new tires and original #4 tire, along with blown-out tires in the pickup and RV storage compartments), but even though we were unable to make it all the way to Memphis, we were able to get Nashville behind us before stopping for the night. Somewhere along the way the next day, we pulled into a parking area for DD to use RV bathroom, and the driveway was a little steep and tore back bumper loose!! DH is NOT in a good mood, to say the least!! We did make it to Sherman, TX, though where we are parked for about 10 days (while DD is at youth camp with her older sister and brother-in-law's church). We will leave here early next week to get home to Lubbock. RV will go in the shop to repair blow-out damages and back bumper. I look for it to be in the shop a l-o-n-g time!!!!! Along the way, though, we met some really nice, helpful people who guided us to the places we were able to get the help/tires we needed. I wholeheartedly recommend Family RV (I think it is!!) in Lebanon, TN, and Craig, who got us the four new tires and checked axles, etc. for further damage.

netaq

Atlanta, GA

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/12 06:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just out of curiosity, how old was the set of tires that failed?

Sorry y'all had all that trouble...

2012 Ford F-250 XLT 6.2 FX4
2012 Keystone Cougar HC321RES

Doug4.7

Hartselle, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/12 07:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can emphasize with your "trip from heck". My version is from when I was a kid. We were going to visit my grandparents in OK and wanted to stop at some places along the way, so we drove up to PA and started west on the PA Turnpike. Our brand new station wagon broke its distributor shaft and we ended up being stranded in a town along the PA Turnpike. The ONLY reason for the town was the toll booth on the Pike. Because our car was a brand new model, the spare parts had not been made yet. We ended up spending a WEEK in that one-horse town. Rental cars were difficult to find (no one rents a car there). There was no pool, the movie theater had ONE movie, which we saw, there was NOTHING to do, and nothing to see within the range of driving we were allowed with the semi-rental car we found in town. After the part had been shipped in from the factory (they had to pull a part OFF the factory floor, there were no spares in stock ANYWHERE) we just limped back home.

It has been 40 years and I can still get eye rolls & groans out of my siblings and parents when I mention that "vacation".

Now the good news for you and me is that all subsequent vacations will be great and you will be able to later look back at this misadventure and (maybe) laugh, or at least get an eye roll & groan...

vgoulette

Shallowater, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/12 08:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just out of curiosity, how old was the set of tires that failed?

They were less than five years old -- close, but not yet five and still had plenty of tread. DH checked them before we set out.

Hopefully, we got all the "bad" out for a long time to come!!!

214mrj44

quinlan,tx.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/12 09:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Went to fl. 3 weeks ago. Blew tire in miss. removed side panel and plastic wheel trim. Get there rained 22" in 3 days. Ac in bedroom leaked water on bed.On way in tx. simi passed us and threw a tire tread off about 50' in front of us went under truck and Under 5iver and removed front jack snapen.tx. Trooper was behind us and stopped behind us,asked if we allright. Sead we are ok,he took of like a rocket. We fixed jack and left, down rd. about 5mi. he had truck pulled over writeing in his ticket book. Hooked wnen we went buy and he gave us a thumbs up. Mike

FunnyCamper

Southeastern

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/12 09:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DH not in a good mood? For me it would be DW NOT IN A GOOD MOOD!

sorry for those troubles. stuff sure happens. all is fine then boom you get the motherlode in your face!

check it all. and then recheck. age sure can hurt tires and other things in rvs. time for that little bit of maintenance checks to be sure it is all in fine working order.

Chock Full o' Nuts

GA

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/12 11:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow! If not for bad luck, you'd have no luck at all. Just think of it this way: your trip with go down in the annals of family history as THAT trip. Bet you never forget it.

"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!

Hawkeye02

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/12 04:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry about all your troubles....boy could I tell some stories of some of our trips over the years.....in fact, almost had another one of those this weekend. We had the r.v. loaded and ready to go, but we had been having to add coolant to truck this past week. DH said he was afraid it was a mistake to go...I agreed...he took the truck to the Ford place to let them look at it...they found a BIG problem and will cost appx. 2,600 to fix and won't get it till next week.....was dissappointed, but glad not to be stranded on the road in 95 plus temps.

kokosfriend

Nashville, TN

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/12 10:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The place that helped you in TN was in Lebanon and it Family Campers and they are great! Glad you are safe!

Barb

Barb and the 4 chocolates

motorcycle jack

FT all over

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/12 05:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad all of you are safe and both you and the trailer made it home. In times of high heat it is doubly important to check the tire pressure EVERY day before setting out. It is so easy to just look at them and assume they are good today because they were yesterday. I'm a fanatic on checking tire pressure, using a TPMS with temperature.

Don't let this ruin your future vacations. Just learn from it and enjoy the next trip.

John
"Motorcycle Jack"
Life time Good Sam Member
Blog: My RV
5th Wheel Blog

Full timing isn't "always camping". It's a different life style living in an RV.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Been a heck of a trip home. . .
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS