I do a little home brewing and as a brewer all things that come in contact with the beer or wine must be sanitized. We can use either a bleach solution or one of a number of products such as Star-san or B-Brite. Star-san is a liquid and would be easier to use. THese products do not have to be rinsed after words as you would a bleach solution and have no effect on "drinkability" ie. we rinse bottles with the solution and then place the beer/wine right into the bottle. Has any one used this on there motor home fresh water tank any thoughts on using this instead of bleach? We do not drink from motor home faucets but I hate working with bleach.
Why not fill your fresh water tank with beer? Some people here might consider that a viable solution.
Sorry, I couldn't resist.
In all seriousness, no matter how much we rinse the main tank after a bleach sanitizing, our fresh water will smell a little of bleach until about week #2. We do cook with it right away, but boil the water for a little while prior to adding the food. By around week #2, we use the water for general consumption.
Interesting about the product you mention. Unfortunately in a motor home, the plumbing & pump, fixtures and all, need sanitizing so how much of that stuff needs to be added into a tank that always has a few gallons of last year's water in it? The bleach solution works well with a full tank, providing maximum contact. Are you going to add 40+ gallons of that product to make contact with the tank walls?
Our old motor home had a 7 gallon carry-on jug to support the little sink shown. Every spring, that jug had a clear colored slime on the inside walls. The bleach solution took care of it, but only if the solution made direct contact.
The advantage of bleach is that it's cheap.
It is also something that most folks have in their homes, so readily available when they start thinking about de-winterizing and sanitizing the RV.
I've seen (but never used) the products you mentioned, at the RV store. Maybe one of these days, I'll think about it enough, to buy some, but for the most part, I usually don't think about it, until I'm at home getting ready to do the job.....so I grab the bleach
Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008 FMCA# F407293 The Pets
Don't know how expensive it is but at 1 ounce per 5 gallons of water it sounds like it would be a viable replacement for bleach. I have an extreme sensitivity to bleach, I can taste it long after no one else can, so this sounds like a good alternative to me.
I took my tank out pluged the outlet holes on the side then put the outlet holes on the bottem of the tank. That way when I drain my tank 100% of the water comes out of the tank so that helps with sanitizing the tank and getting more of the bleach out and doesn't leave that 1in of water in the tank. Was not a problem with my MH every unit is diff. Hope this helps.
Buy one of the Miracle Grow mixer bottles that you attach to a hose, and fill it with bleach. Connect it between two hoses and open the valve to let the bleach mix with the water into your tank. We do this a couple of times each year and this is an easy fix to working with bleach.
Depending on how often you use your RV you may not need to sanitize the tank regularly. We use our RV all year so the water doesn't stay in more than a few months at a stretch...and that's city water. Water can be stored a long time depending on conditions.