|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Rock Guards

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Marty Reed

Rock,S.D . U.S.A.

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/02 11:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone care to offer an opinion on buying a rock guard (from the mfg., rock solid, ultra guard). Do they work? Are they worth it? We would like to hear what you experienced travelers think. It would be for a Newmar diesel. Thanks,

Kusani

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/02 12:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Marty:

I was getting stones kicked up and denting the front of my TT. After installing the Ultra Guard, it is no longer a problem. The clips they sent to attach it to my vehicle were of no value so I got a piece of slotted angle steel and made my own bracket. Some say the split 'skirts' are not as effective, but don't know.

Happy Rv'in

BG1811

Paducah, KY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/02 01:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed one of the rock guards that have the little thingees that hang down like strings. I'm not getting good results. I just bought a new car that is going to also be used as a toad. I'm going to invest in one of the solid types. I should have done that in the first place.

2004 Monaco Diplomat 40DST (Bath and half) - 2007 Mercury Mariner Hybrid FMCA F288615
AND Our Wonderful Norwegian Forest Cat, Mackenzie

Trektiger

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/02 02:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Marty,

We have an Ultra Guard, but also use a Guardian tow shield on the toad. No chips or dings to the toad so far. Not sure which guard is doing the most protecting, probably a combination of both. Our coach also has individual flaps behind each wheel, not sure what they contribute. Know of anyway to prevent windshield chips from those 18 wheelers?

Bob

Cincinnati, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/02 03:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have used the split guard for the past two years driving over 14,000 miles without any rock problems. Toad still gets dirty though. Our rock guard is about 2 to 3 inches off the ground.

2000 Southwind Storm, Ford-V10
2005 GMC Envoy toad

Randy972

UPSTATE S.C.

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/02 03:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another helpful hint is to install mudflaps behind your rear wheels. We have the large solid factory guard(I shutter what I paid for this thing)that does a fair job but the toad still takes some hits. Since installing the mudflaps I have not found as many pings on the toad as before.

This reason is why we pull an older model toad which already has the battle scars.

Randy
Gulf Stream Friendship Diesel Pusher
Honda Accord

Alaskan

Nancy Lake, Alaska OR Mission, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/02 06:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The very best thing I have found is to leave the full width rock guard in the garage so it stays nice and clean. They cause more damage than any other single item I can think of, both to your toads and passing vehicles. These full width jobs do drag when you hit a dip or a rise in the roadway, when they drag the road, they scatter gravel or whatever is there around like it came out of a shotgun. IF you do use one, I would recommend 6" as an absolute minimum ground clearance when on level ground, and use one that seals tightly up against the bumper. Been there, done that, don't use one anymore...The Underskirt seems to work petty well keeping debris off the toad.

Happy Motoring
Butch & Sharon
2000 Diplomat
1999 Grand Vitara+ toad

unique

Salem, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/02 03:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have the Guardian and have had great luck with it. Also have the full flap across the back. No rock damage that we can see. Easy to install and easy to take off.

Bob & Judy
SALEM, OREGON
2000 Beaver Marquis
2005 VW Beetle (Diesel w/stick)

faucet1

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/02 10:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Marty, I started out using the rock guard. I found some dings on the front of my auto after a short trip. I believe the guard creates somewhat of a draft/suction causing small pebbles to fly up between the back of the coach and the toad. In any event, I added a protective shield on the front of my toad made of quarter inch thick plexy (spelled wrong) glass. I haven't found any more dings thus far. By the way, my toad is an 88 mustang GT, I had to custom make a shield using aluminum tubing and the plexy glass. I mounted the shield to the tow arms coming from under the car. Hope this helps. I didn't answer your question, but is my observation.

*This Message was edited on 23-Jun-02 10:15 PM by faucet1*

2002 Monaco Diplomat 40 PST Triple Slide
Toad-88 Ford Mustang GT-Stick
David and Jean

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Rock Guards
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: