|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Magnetek 6345 Converter :(

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
1rosario

Phoenix, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/12 10:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Okay, we're getting ready to leave for a few weeks on Sunday.
We're wanting to boondock a lot, so we went and bought 2 6v batteries. Our "old" dual 12v batteries, were not charging or so we tought.
I came here looking for info on our Converter, and I come to find that this converter will not fully charge our batteries. "Converter is Junk," is what I read.

So our batteries might have been good.

Replacing the converter is our best option I guess, but that'll be a question for later.
In such short notice, how can we keep our batteries charged? How much will our RV Alternator charge, if any?
Can we use a separate battery charger? If so, DH wants to know how do you charge them? Do they need to be disconnected?

Thank you.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/12 10:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I'd pick up a 40 amp "smart" charger and use that to maintain the battery bank until the converter can be upgraded.

Regards, Don
Full Time in a Kustom Koach Class C 28'5", 256 watts Unisolar, 875 amp hours in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, Magnum 3000 watt PSW inverter.

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/12 11:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes a portable will get you through the pinch. At least 20 amps, 40 is better.
Just slap it on the battery and plug into the generator.
Put the clamps on the same terminals that feed the RV.

Magnetek is fine except that it can take 48 to 96 hours to charge a low battery.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

1rosario

Phoenix, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/12 11:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, Don.
Can that charger stay connected all the time? It'll just run, while genny's on. We think we know where to store it.
How do you charge (where do the clamps go) dual 6v batteries?

1rosario

Phoenix, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/12 07:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Which or What kind of converter do you guys recommend, what should we look for? I know there's an online place that gets mentioned a lot, but what if we decide to replace before we leave?
Should any RV store carry a decent converter?
Or are these better converters only carried online?
Also, is there such a thing as plug and play with converters? Or does it require a lot of rewiring?

Oh, my.... Sorry for all the questions.

BTW, Amazon is delivering a B&D smart charger 40amp, today. Only $10 more to deliver locally same day. I looked online and couldn't figure out who would sell it. I would probably spend more on gas trying to find it.

Thanks again!

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/12 06:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What you read was correct.
I could hardly describe the Mag as being fine,....even when there was nothing any better. The Mag is a converter, not a charger, as it did almost to nothing to charge a battery. And if it ever did get the battery charged, then you were also in trouble because it would then boil the batteries to an early death.
Seems strange but in those old days of the mag converters, they did have fairly decent 10-15 amp battery chargers,.so it wasn't like they didn't know how to make a charger/converter combo.
So, one has to conclude that even those RVs w/ gensets were not designed for dry camping, but for grid camping only. Otherwise, it was like turning you loose to have all the luxuries of home out in the forest till the batteries went dead,....then you either came home.....or sit and listen to an obnoxiously noisy genset for the rest of the time spent.It really never did make any sense.

Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 400 watt inv, 2 12v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KingDome/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters, and towing a Dodge GCV, or a Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

mbopp

Henrietta, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/12 08:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a "dumb" (single voltage) but functional Elixir converter in the HTT. I installed an Iota 55-amp converter in the front storage compartment and have a short 3' run of wire to the dual batteries. The AC power to the converter isn't permanent yet, I'm using an extension cord back to the generator for now.
The plan is to disconnect the original Elixir converter but still use the AC and DC distribution panel. The new Iota will have its own dedicated AC circuit off the breaker box.
For a few years I used a separate 3-stage battery charger, but when I went to dual batteries I wanted a higher amperage charger and a new converter seemed the best way to go.

2013 North Trail 21FBS
2012 F-150 XLT Ecoboost ("EcoBeast") scab
Just DW & me......

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/12 07:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the charger can stay connected
but in most cases you will have to turn it on manually to get the highest setting
my vector defaults to its lowest 4 amp setting,
if just plugged in with generator,being turned on and off

Options, always have options, and the journey goes much smoother

Connected thru Verizon with HotSpot WiFi using a Samsung Galaxy Nexus

1rosario

Phoenix, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/12 07:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What if we just keep using the smart charger, and not replace the converter?

Is that what you're doing Mr.Wizard? I assume you leave it on when parked?

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/12 07:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also disagree with smkettner.
The Magnatek units were acceptable in there day, but that was long ago.
The plan to pick a good portable smart charger is about all you do in the short term.

When you get home, order and install a current technology converter/charger. This will cost you a couple hundred dollars for a Progressive Dynamics or Iota unit, but you will never regret it an you batteries will love for it.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dog going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Magnetek 6345 Converter :(
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS