|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Dometic Ref. Question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
n4hwl

Murfreesboro,TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/12 07:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a dometic model NDR-1292 ref. I took the vent cover off on the roof and noticed 2 12 volt fans mounted on the back of the refrigerator pointing up. I have never heard these fans come on. In really hot weather I would like to see these fan run. I found a 1 amp fuse inside the side access panel blown that looks like it may power these fans. When I replaces it the fan still will not come on. I also see what may be a termister mounted to the fins at the top that may be connected to these fans but I can not be sure. Things are hard to see up there. How do these fans work. I do not see any evidence that these fans have ever come on by the dirt ect. sitting on top of the blades. This is a 2004 Phaeton.

Thanks
Ken

2004 QDH 40ft Phaeton, Blue Ox Tru-Center
Ham Call N4HWL, TS performance mp-8

Kirk

Livingston, Texas.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/12 08:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have access to a service manual for that refrigerator so can't tell exactly how it is wired but most likely it does have some type of thermostat control. If it were mine I would first tray supplying power to the fans with jumpers to see if they will run. It would not be that difficult to wire in a new power supply and thermostat to control them. The alternative would be to find a schematic and figure out how it is supposed to operate.

Perhaps if Chris Bryant is reading the forums he may have access to a service manual to determine just how that fan circuit is wired?

Good travelin! ........Kirk
Professional Volunteer
Fulltimer for 11 years,
URL: www.adventure.1tree.net

Norskeman

Oswego, New York

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/12 09:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the fans are used on fridges that do not have a vent on the roof (only "doors' on the side of the trailer).They will run based upon operating temp.

My trailer has a lower access door and an upper access door. When they fans run they have a high pitch sound.

I think mine run all the time when the outside air temp is about 70 degrees. They continue to run when I turn off the fridge until the unit cools down.

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS fifth wheel.
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/12 07:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The tstat for the fans is bad. The tstat for the fans is located on the top condensor fins on 1 side and will be a small snap disc. COMMON problem. When replacing the tstat, run a 2 wire harness from the 2 tstat wires down the back to the rear bottom access of the refer. Install a switch on those 2 wires. That way you can run those fans all the time and if the tstat fails you can then run the fans. IF the fans are not running, you are not cooling as best as you can. Doug

Aahhyes68

Birmingham, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/12 09:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've replaced that thermostatic snap-disc/klixon twice on our Dometic. I just installed a toggle switch in the lower access door (outside) and just flip it to on when it's +70 out. It was easy to tell when the klixon failed...the fridge would run at 50F....

2009 Cardinal 38BHQSLE
2008 GMC 3500/CC/D/A
DW,DD & two DS's. Life is good

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/12 11:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Call Dometic at 800-544-4881

Have them send you instruction sheet for 'Power Vent Assembly' (part #3104131.002)

Service Manual only references them....no details/info

Service Manual

2007 RAM 3500 QC LB SRW 5.9L CTD 48re 4:10 4K in bed 'quiet genny'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
Hit the Road Debt Free & Clear April '07
Came off the road still Debt Free & Clear Jan. '14

n4hwl

Murfreesboro,TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/12 07:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My thermostat was bad. I wired these 2 fans to a switch inside the motorhome and now I can turn them on anytime and not have to depend on the undependable thermostat.

Ken

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/12 11:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Norskeman wrote:

I think the fans are used on fridges that do not have a vent on the roof (only "doors' on the side of the trailer).They will run based upon operating temp.

My trailer has a lower access door and an upper access door. When they fans run they have a high pitch sound.

I think mine run all the time when the outside air temp is about 70 degrees. They continue to run when I turn off the fridge until the unit cools down.

Not correct. Fans are used when the parameters require a good flow of air up the back over the coils, when regular convection air cannot do the job. Doug

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Dometic Ref. Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS