|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Need help making sure TV will tow TT

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
1rstTimer

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 11:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello all! This is my first post and am seeking help and advice before I make a purchase. I have a 2011 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0, 3.55 rear end, max tow of 5740lbs. I am looking at the Skyline bobcat 160 (2550 DW) or the Bobcat 170 (2725 DW) both with GWVR of 3850. Will my truck be able to tow it comfortably? I will be getting brake controller and WD hitch. I dont want to make the mistake of purchasing something then realizing I cant tow it! Thank you!

johnrbd

San Joaquin Valley

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/12 12:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It will tow it. Level of comfort will depend on you and the amount of weight you will add to the truck (passenger, dogs, tool box firewood, etc).

Some people are very comfortable pulling even above tow ratings, other get uncomfortable when they get within 70% of tow rating.

Your GCWR is 9500 lbs, so subtract entire weight of the Ranger, including passengers, cargo, full tank, from that and the result is your REAL tow rating.

* This post was edited 07/10/12 12:34pm by johnrbd *

Sunbird

Lizard Acres, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/12 04:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had 3 flat sided stick-built TTs. The first was a 16', the other 2 were 19'. Passing semis used to blow us around. We now have a 17' Casita which is molded fiberglass like a boat. Aerodynamics make a huge difference, the semis don't bother us at all.

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 02:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wish my numbers looked that good. Tow away my friend.

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife & 4 Really Fun kids
2008 KIA Sedona 3.8L 24 valve V-6
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS

boosTT

Milwaukee

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 12:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tow a 3400lb dry, 5200lb GVWR 19' TT behind a 97 ranger 4.0L with 4.10 rear end. My ranger is rated to tow 5600 lbs. The ranger tows "OK". Power is a bit slow, but ok (your truck has more HP though). Sway is a bigger issue. The ranger is just too light and I feel semi's passing more then I would like. I have a cheap WD hitch and friction sway bar. I think a better hitch would help, but I plan on replacing the truck anyway due to age.

Summary: Either should be acceptable with a good hitch. This is ofcourse depending on your level of comfort. You'll feel the trailer behind you and won't be able to see much (due to the width of the trailer vs ranger).

Hope this helps.

1rstTimer

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 01:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for the replies!! BoosTT if your pulling that amount of weight with your ranger I think I should be ok considering the one Im looking at is lighter and I do have a bit more power.. Thanks again!

eric james

Sioux Falls, SD

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 05:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think you'll have any trouble with either of those choices.

2009 Keystone Passport UL 290BH
2003 Ford Expedition EB 5.4L/3.73

Padlin

W. Ma.

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/12 04:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had an 03 Ranger 4l that I pulled my current trailer (3600 lbs) with for a while. Same experience as boosTT, did okay but lacked power on hills and head winds. I had to add air-lifts, couldn't get the truck anywhere near level even though I was well inside it's 6000 lb towing capacity. Tongue weight was too high.

Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

CincyGus

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/12 07:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you'll be fine weight wise but as mentioned above, the small size of the ranger and the large box in the wind behind you may make you uncomfortable in windy conditions or when in traffic with semi's. I personally would not pull something so high profile with a non-fullsize truck but that is just my confort level. A boat or popup, no problem.

If you decide to move forward, just do as you say and get a good w/d hitch, and a great sway control system and adjust your speed according in bad conditions.

2011 Silverado Crewcab 4x4
2012 Passport 238ML

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

1rstTimer

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 05:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The bobcat does have a slight slope in the front.. I wonder if that would help at all.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Need help making sure TV will tow TT
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS