RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: I can't believe it.... What horrible luck.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> I can't believe it.... What horrible luck.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Ranger431

Knoxville, TN

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 07:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, I don't know how many of you will recall, but earlier this year we had a 3 year old Jayco 32BHDS stolen. After months of fighting insurance companies (primary and GAP coverage thankfully) we got the TT in our signature. We've been on 3-4 trips in it, and other than having some minor damage when some lady ran me off a road with no shoulder (bent stabilizer jack and Jayco slide out bike rack) things have been great

Until today....

As I was backing my TT up the hill into my driveway,a lady in a passing car and my son (who was guiding me back) both started yelling "You're cars on fire!!!" I quickly threw the car into park, engaged the parking break and turned it off. My other son (10 YO) jumper out of the car, and I started unbuckling the 3 YO twin girls out of the back. As soon as my younger son saw me doing this he ran right back and started unbuckling his other 3 YO sister out of the car.

Luckily the fire wasn't horribly bad. It looks like the rear main seal of the engine failed and dumped oil that caught fire. After that all settled down I put the car into neutral and coasted down the hill (still had trailer brakes) to clear the road. Now I'm trying to find a wrecker service that can put my TT into my driveway and then tow my truck.

Of course this alone can't be enough, I just had to have the AC in the truck fixed, a pump for the sprinkler system, some medical bills, and one of the AC units on the house - all in the past 2 months. Not to mention buying my current TT. Well, I guess having liquid savings is over rated, and I'm just thankful the kids are OK.

Anyway, just thought I'd vent a bit....

2012 Jayco 32TSBH
2004 Ford Excursion
ProPride 3P Hitch
Tru Control brake controller
Roadmaster Active Suspension

Home Skillet

Pearland Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 07:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad everyone is OK.

Not motor oil.But, transmission fluid puking out because it got hot from backing up. Due to the reduced air flow across the radiator.

2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,SmarTire,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 07:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

Are you really low on engine oil? It is kind of unusual for a rear main seal to dump very much oil from the engine, the oil pump is not a huge volume pusher, and the pressure is less than 40 PSI once the engine is warm. More likely the transmission overheated, and might have vented through the dipstick, and that an flow down onto the hot engine exhaust manifolds.

The transmission cooler lines are under about 75 - 200 PSI, depending on who you talk to, and what model transmission it is. My guess is still with the transmission.

Unless the oil cooler broke, that did happen to someone I know, it was a 86 or 87 Ford van, back when they used a tube and fin cooler and a high pressure 1" diameter oil line broke. It is not the current model that is connected to the radiator hoses without high pressure oil lines.

CHeck the oil level, and if that is fine, start checking the transmission, it's cooler lines, ect. If you have not melted the wires going to the transmission, it might be able to start, and if it was a oil leak, it will keep leaking. If only a transmission leak, it might be because it overheated backing up.

Backing uphill at a low speed with a high horsepower engine can heat up the transmission very quickly. It might be something better taken care of in the morning, while the truck engine is still cool, and radiator is also cool, able to absorb a lot more heat.

If you can shift into 4 wheel low range, it would be better to provide more low speed torque to get you moving up the hill backwards. Don't worry about being in 4 wheel drive on dry pavement when you will be driving less than 10 MPH. There should be a warning not to be in 4 wheel drive on dry pavement without slippery conditions above 15 MPH, as you are locking the axles together, and some vehicles have a problem with that.

I digital transmission temperature gauge would be nice, JcWhitney.com I wired mine into the pressure port on the transmission. When over 235F, I know to slow down on the mountain grades. When at 200, it is working great.

If you find you are constantly over 215F on fairly level or slight hills, you need another transmission fluid cooler. My suggestion is a DeRale 12"x12" with a 9" fan that you can turn on from the drivers seat, especially when backing up into a campsite, or anytime, such as going slowly up a hill that the transmission is getting close to 220F.

Nothing a transmission rebuilding shop likes more than a overheating transmission that is not under warranty. Once they have to warranty the transmission, they will suggest installing a cooler.

Fred.

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 07:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Home Skillet wrote:

Glad everyone is OK.

Not motor oil.But, transmission fluid puking out because it got hot from backing up. Due to the reduced air flow across the radiator.

My thought too. If you can start up the Excursion and it is not puking out motor oil (check the level first) then it probably was transmission fluid.

If you can not start the engine, then the neutral safety switch wires are probably melted. So the car might not think it is in park or neutral, and will not crank over. Or it can be any number of other wires that melted during the short fire.

It might also be something totally unrelated, such as a leaking power steering hose, but my guess is your transmission fluid is now very low, due to some of it foaming up, and coming out the dipstick, landing on the exhaust manifold.

Fred.

jake2250

Sacramento

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 07:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you can't get a wrecker service to move it, try uhaul or Home Depot, Or Lowes, they rent pick up trucks,, We had a break down,,,, actually is was an off road incident at a local lake, AAA would not tow trailer off road.
They took my truck and I got a ride to a local Home Depot, rented a 3/4 ton pick up, put my hitch on it and got my trailer home..

relliott75

Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/12 08:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's horrible you have had such a run of bad luck, but things can be replaced - people can't. I don't care if it was the trans or engine, thankfully you're kids are okay and your son was so quick to help! I have faith, things will turn around for you, just remember - tough times don't last, tough people do.

2007 Jayco 29FBS / GVWR 8800
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7 CTD MEGACab 4x4 Laramie
Kansas City, Kansas
DW, 2 Kids & 100 pound GSD!

thiswebs4u

Silverthorne Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/12 09:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dang, what is up with these main seals. I had a 2004 PSD and had to have it replaced twice. As soon as warranty was I up got ride of it. Sorry for the bad luck.

Colorado Camping

2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins Diesel
2013 Kodiak 221RBSL

Ranger431

Knoxville, TN

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 09:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a buddy who's pretty sharp with cars look, and he seemed pretty sure it was the rear main seal.

We were able to start the Excursion up after things cooled down. We only let it run about 20 seconds or so, but it held oil pressure.

before the fire, while backing up, the transmission temp was high, but not in the yellow or red yet - about 7/8ths of the way to the yellow, and the engine temp was about 75% of the way to the top. However, you could really feel the heat off the truck when I stopped it - but then again, that could have been the flames.... (sorry, trying to keep sane).

There was definitely an oily sheen on the pavement, the the oil dripping was brown / black to the touch. We had just had the oil changed ealier in the day for the trip, and I was thiking the filter may have blew off, or the old gasket was left on when they pulled the old filter, but it doesn't look to be the case.

I definitely appreciate the ideas / thoughts though. if there are any other suggestions, please let me know.

I will check the oil in the morning, but when the car was stopped, it was at a slow drip. It is facing downhill now, so I don't know how accurate the dipstick would be.

Wumba

Loudon, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/12 08:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sent you a PM. Will be in the area Thursday if you can wait.

travel-lady

Apple Valley

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 09:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry for all your bad luck but soooooooooo glad the family got out of the car and ALL is fine with them.....Everything else will work it's self out....

08 PassPort 245RB
08 Dodge Mega-cab W/Hemi
03 Jayco 10X Quest Pop up
Years of Tent Camping
Pickles the camping Papillon

Leave nothing behind but your footsteps.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> I can't believe it.... What horrible luck.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS