RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Beware of Carefree’s exclusive Rain-Dump feature

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Beware of Carefree’s exclusive Rain-Dump feature

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next
Sponsored By:
ShadySkins

Douglassville, PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/12 11:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and kids were camping in Ocean City MD without me a few weeks ago. The wife called to tell me that it was down pouring and she wanted to know if she should pull in the awning. I asked about wind and she said there was no wind at all, only the heavy rain. I told her it would be fine because of the Rain-Dump feature and that she should manually pull the dump every so often to be on the safe side. About 1.5 hours later she sent the photo below to my phone. The Rain-Dump feature failed on one side of the awning failed.

My dealer pushed hard to have it covered under warranty by Carefree. But Carefree does not recommend that the awning is used in rain. It should only be used to provide shade. From the manual AWNINGS ARE DESIGNED TO PROVIDE SHADE AND PROTECTION FROM THE SUN. THE
EFFECTS OF WIND AND RAIN ON AN AWNING ARE UNPREDICTABLE AND CAN CAUSE
SEVERE DAMAGE TO THE AWNING AND/OR THE VEHICLE. IF WIND OR EXTENDED PERIODS
OF RAIN ARE EXPECTED, ROLL UP THE AWNING AND SECURE

My dealer pushed them and asked why they would advertise a Rain-Dump feature, but conversely state that the awning shouldn't be used in the rain. Carefree continued to decline the warranty claim.

My dealer then called K-Z, who provides a 2 year warranty, and K-Z immediately informed my dealer that they would pay for the repairs under my 2 year warranty. They also informed the dealer that he should now tell all purchasers that they shouldn't have the awning out in the rain.

My dealer and K-Z now have a lifetime customer. Thanks for reading and happy camping!

2011 KZ 321BHS
Pulled by a 2007 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 5.7
Connected with a Reese Dual Cam
Stopped by a Tekonsha P3

swebber

Bluemont

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/12 11:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry to hear that you had damage. You gotta love companies that stand behind you...Carefree doing what they did and K-Z doing what was right.

Steve Webber
2013 RAM 3500 Dually, 6.7 Cummins and all the bells and whistles
2009 Jayco Eagle 324BHDS "CramalotInn III",Reese DCHP, Atwood 3500, BAL Deluxe Chocks, Weber Baby Q & Q200, Champion 2000W Inverter & 4000W gennie's
My Camping Pic's

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/12 11:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I could not and will not ever have a power awning. it is so simple to pull out a manual awning and pitch it so the rain runs off, that a power awning with a so-called "Rain Dump" seems unecessary and a waste of $$$.

Terrible customer service on the part of Carefree! the money they make on just one awning will more than pay for a legitimate claim.

Good for K-Z!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 13yrs
Daughter Marissa 12yrs
Dog Shadow R.I.P.

07 Cherokee 32B
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese DualCam, Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!

dupreet

High Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/12 11:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good for you things worked out with your dealer and K-Z.

As far as Carefree - did they fall and hit there head...take up the awning in the rain?

Todd

Todd

1993 Ford E-350 pushed by a 1988 Wilderness 24' TT

RedRocket204

Colorado Front Range - Got MTB trail?

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/12 11:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is that rain dump feature a one time use?

I would have ripped that Carefree awning off my TT and replaced it with a manual one that was not affiliated with Carefree.

What a worthless company to not stand behind their product.

Good to hear though that your dealer and KZ know how to properly conduct business.

I love me some land yachting

path1

Wa State (wet side)

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/12 11:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Isn't it amazing when your buying and when you need the manufacture/dealer to stand by their product?
Advertizing...best word of mouth, good and bad.

1990 37 ft King of the road 5th wheel. Great carpentry, summer home
1997 33 ft Holiday Rambler, Never again will a new RV come into this family
2003 25 ft Majestic M/H, Old RV rental Best travel machine we've ever owned.

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/12 01:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not just care free. Here is my manual awning on July 4th. All I did was run out for a quick lunch. It was beautiful out when we left. Lesson learned the hard way.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

2014 Chrysler Town And Country
3.6 Pentastar V6

"It's Kind of Fun To Do The Impossible"
~Walt Disney~

JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/12 12:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just one reason of many you will always see a Manual Awning on my rig. I have only pulled it in once due to a storm in over 13 years and that was because there was a tornado watch and the winds were incredibly high. I have a feeling it would have been fine if i left it out as the next morning some neighbors with the same type of awning, who were fast asleep when the winds started, still had theirs unscathed.

Electric awnings are a pain in the rear. They sit up too high which doesn't allow for as much shade and makes trying to clean it an attempt of futility and the auto rain dump feature is one of the dumbest I've ever seen....don't ever be under that sucker when it decides to go! And Carefree is right quite honestly, they are to be used for some shade and that's it. But Carefree should do a better job of making that clear in their manuals. Manual awnings, however, are GREAT for rain protection. I have never pulled mine in during the rain...that would be counterproductive since sitting under it during a rain storm is one of my fave things to do. No need for a rain dump feature...just tilt your manual and it runs off continuously not creating a need to pool up (and pooling up and then dumping is going to stretch the material over time, no way around that, another failure of the electric awning design).

Sure pushing a button is convenient, but a manual awning is so simple...its something I don't mind doing as the benefits of having it are so much greater...

phenrichs

Watertown, SD

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/12 01:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Weird. I have a power awning and I can adjust the sides independently just the same way as my previous manual awning. If it is raining I loosen one side and lower it an inch or so. Your photo appears very similar to my awning with the exception of color. Mine has no rain dump feature though. Can you give us a better description of what that is? I am just curious (or nosy as DW calls it).

2006 Ram 3500 Megacab Cummins
2012 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS

RedRocket204

Colorado Front Range - Got MTB trail?

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/12 12:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JayWalker2009 wrote:

...Manual awnings, however, are GREAT for rain protection. I have never pulled mine in during the rain...that would be counterproductive since sitting under it during a rain storm is one of my fave things to do. No need for a rain dump feature...just tilt your manual and it runs off continuously not creating a need to pool up...

Awning rain protection is practicably a requirement here in the PNW and I will be sticking with manual awnings too.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Beware of Carefree’s exclusive Rain-Dump feature
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS