|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Items that are not available or hard to find in Mexico

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
MexiNow

Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/12 10:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

qtla9111 wrote:

We only drink Mexican and Chilean wines. You just need to know what labels have won prizes and buy off of a good wine list.

qtla9111 - Would you care to share your top picks? We could use some Mexican and Chilean wine recommendations!!!

ThreeToGo

San Jose, CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 02:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Horseradish and pickles - or bring along your favorite cocktail sauce if you like to dip your shrimp. We find perfectly acceptable substitutes for everything else in Mexico.

Do keep in mind that if you have certain American brands that you cannot live without you'd be advised to bring them along. Many American brand products are available in Mexico but most are a lot more expensive than they are in the U.S.

And like others have mentioned, peanut butter - If you like chunky PB you'd be advised to bring along your Skippy because we've never found it even along the "Gringo" west coast. Every store carries creamy Jif tho.

BajaLinda

Full timing

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/12 10:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Red, wrote:

Alison and Neil wrote:

Hi All

Thought I would inquire about items that are hard to find in Mexico.

Thank you in advance for any info you can offer.

Neil

Fresh clean safe drinking water . . .

Be sure & bring a f

Red, *<(:{)-
Do not filter the water and think you can drink it here. There is fresh bottled water every where.

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 05:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MexiNow wrote:

qtla9111 wrote:

We only drink Mexican and Chilean wines. You just need to know what labels have won prizes and buy off of a good wine list.

qtla9111 - Would you care to share your top picks? We could use some Mexican and Chilean wine recommendations!!!

A red wine drinker and also an economizer , my best pick has always been La Cetto (Mex) petit sirah and their cabernet sauvignon, Santiago 1541 (Chilean), Marqués de Tabernillas (Spain) is labeled a red table wine and can be found at HEB Mexico on occasion.

For fireside or rv side, is still the California Red, that comes in tetra. The price has gone up over the years.

Overall, La Cetto can't be beat.

I was able to visit some of the vineyards in Baja two years ago. A quick one day tour. I was impressed. Not at all like visiting vineyards in Viña del Mar, Chile but Mexican wines are winning more and more prizes.

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Turtle-Toad

Wherever I park (orig Kingston, WA. USA)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/12 11:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RichnLinda wrote:

Red, wrote:

Alison and Neil wrote:

Hi All

Thought I would inquire about items that are hard to find in Mexico.

Thank you in advance for any info you can offer.

Neil

Fresh clean safe drinking water . . .

Be sure & bring a f

Red, *<(:{)-
Do not filter the water and think you can drink it here. There is fresh bottled water every where.

Unless you have a good RO (reverse osmosis) system with UV module; like some of us do.

But just about every little village has a water store and the water is cheap. Cheaper than the plastic jugs, so bring yours in to be refilled. Even the locals don't drink the tap water.

Turtle & Toad, On the Road
37' Georgetown XL w/3 slides, 1 1/2 bath, & 595 watts of solar power
06 Taco TRD (for "Off the Road")
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here
Only States/Provinces that I have spent at least a week in are shown

kca87

La Paz, BCS, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 03:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After reading through this thread, I made it a point to see what - from the lists people submitted - I could find here in La Paz. Amazing - I found everything at the little local grocery store (tienda). Pickles, Napa Valley Wines, Chilean Wines, Tomato Paste, imported US butter, imported US cheeses, etc.

I remember reading a while back about NAFTA and how more US brands would be available in Mexico without the large duty and I know that I've been seeing more of these.

Things I still can't find in Mexico are:

Cream of tartar
Dried/Powdered mustard
Steel Cut Oatmeal

Maybe one day soon even these items will start appearing.

Charlene

Ken,Charlene, Cody, and Jake

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 07:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Funny, now people in the north go nuts over Thanksgiving. HEBs carry canned and fresh cranberries and sauce, all the trimmings for turkey and pumpkin pie. We stopped doing it years ago .

Maybe this year we might go to Hacienda Contreras for Christmas. Who knows where we will end up.

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/12 06:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tepetapan wrote:

qtla9111 wrote:

Funny, now people in the north go nuts over Thanksgiving. HEBs carry canned and fresh cranberries and sauce, all the trimmings for turkey and pumpkin pie. We stopped doing it years ago .

Maybe this year we might go to Hacienda Contreras for Christmas. Who knows where we will end up.

I have lived here in Mexico 10 years and have put on a Thanksgiving dinner, at no charge, for the past 6 years. At least 2 roasted turkeys, dressing, mashed potatoes and a bucket of gravy. Plus everyone who shows brings something to pass around (like really good brownies) and their own drinks. It is my way of saying Thank You to friends, residents and guests plus I get turkey sandwiches and left overs the next day!
The first couple years frozen turkeys were hard to find, now they are everywhere by mid November. Smoked turkeys, fresh turkeys and frozen turkeys abound that time of year.
I doubt I will ever live long enough to not look forward to a Thanksgiving dinner with all the fixings. It must be my most favorite meal of the year.

So is this an invitation?

tepetapan

catemaco,veracruz mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/12 01:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

qtla9111 wrote:

I have lived here in Mexico 10 years and have put on a Thanksgiving dinner, at no charge, for the past 6 years. At least 2 roasted turkeys, dressing, mashed potatoes and a bucket of gravy. Plus everyone who shows brings something to pass around (like really good brownies) and their own drinks. It is my way of saying Thank You to friends, residents and guests plus I get turkey sandwiches and left overs the next day!
The first couple years frozen turkeys were hard to find, now they are everywhere by mid November. Smoked turkeys, fresh turkeys and frozen turkeys abound that time of year.
I doubt I will ever live long enough to not look forward to a Thanksgiving dinner with all the fixings. It must be my most favorite meal of the year.

stanbnv

Fallon NV, La Peñita de Jaltemba, Nay.

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 04:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The first year we went down to La Penita, (2005) I wanted pumpkin pie for thanksgiving, but there was no canned pumpkin to be found, even in the big box stores in PV. We stocked up on six big cans the next year, and when we went into the local supermarcado, there was a piramid of the d@^^ed stuff right in front of the door. Linda does NOT like Mexican butter, and so we had been stocking up whenever we went to PV on New Zeeland butter, but last year, Popin in Guayabitos had Challange. She was able to find canned chopped tomatos. tomato paste, capers, and horseradish last year too. As far as bottled water goes, probably half of the people in the US drink bottled water as they think it is better than the tap water in their homes. Better to stick to bottled water in Mexico though as the delivery systems, (read pipes) are not up to US or Can. standard.

Stan & Linda
Hobo the Cat
06 Dodge 3500 CTD 6 sp Quad Cab Bighorn
04 Laredo 29GS
06 Arctic Fox 245N
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Items that are not available or hard to find in Mexico
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS