|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Beware of no warranty work by Dutchman Voltage dealers

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
porkchop1221

US

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 01:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

v10superduty wrote:

Sorry, I was not directing that at anyone. More just in general terms of what I have seen over the years.

This part of your post is bewildering to me.

*** {I said, even if it's not warranty work? }***
You gave them the chance to show you they could be a dealer you may wan't to deal with in the future (while not losing money on warranty work) and they blew it.

It's ok... and YES. That is exactly what they said. I was bewildered as well. I could not believe my ears. I asked him to repeat himself and he said the same thing. And I posted my experience with them on Google to help other people avoid this dealer. I can't understand how they can stay in buisness by ONLY catering to people they sell to.

I was going to go to them to have my a hitch installed before I bought my RV. I'm so glad that I didn't and my husband and friend did it themselves.

2012 GMC 3500HD, Diesel, Crew Cab Standard Bed, SRW
2013 Cyclone 3010

Toys:
Ducati 749R
Aprillia RSV4

OldGreaser

South Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 07:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Porkchop, have you been using your Heartland Service Rep directly yet? I bought mine 1200 miles from home, and I've been traveling most of the time since then. On each occasion I needed something done during warranty, my first action was to call my Heartland guy. We would discuss the issue, the probable repair needed, and then he would focus on where and when, taking my travel plans into account. On one occasion I needed a mobile service unit. I had to pay a fee for that, but otherwise it was a good deal. The reps have some idea of which dealers can complete a given repair without negative feedback.
Maybe it won't help you if there's not a good option close enough to you, but worth a try (if you haven't been doing this already.)

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 08:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OldGreaser wrote:

Hey Porkchop, have you been using your Heartland Service Rep directly yet? I bought mine 1200 miles from home, and I've been traveling most of the time since then. On each occasion I needed something done during warranty, my first action was to call my Heartland guy. We would discuss the issue, the probable repair needed, and then he would focus on where and when, taking my travel plans into account. On one occasion I needed a mobile service unit. I had to pay a fee for that, but otherwise it was a good deal. The reps have some idea of which dealers can complete a given repair without negative feedback.
Maybe it won't help you if there's not a good option close enough to you, but worth a try (if you haven't been doing this already.)

That is a smart approach. What dealer is going to tell you to go way after the factory referred you?

Steve O Reno

St. Peters, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/12 02:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I really tried hard to buy from the local dealer when I bought my new Raptor 3912. I cant remember the exact amount but it was a tad over 20 grand difference and they had to order it as none were in stock at either location. I even called Keystone to complain about how the dealer said they will only work on mine after ALL their customers work is done. Which is basically never. I even buy all my RV junk from them which is not chump change. The local salesman said that the price I was to buy mine from the other dealer was a scam or a lie and now way could they sell it that cheap. When I brought it home from the other dealer I stopped by and shopped around for a while in the parts dept with the rig in the parking lot. The sales guy went out and looked at it and came back shaking his head as I left the window sticker on it. I was nice about it and still by parts with them and would have them do service work done even if it was out of pocket as my warranty was up. BTW I WAS a real pain when I picked mine up made sure that everything that did not work was fixed before I left. I figured unless something really big went bad I can fix a lot of small stuff for 20 G's.

I will say its a poor way to do business at the local stealer that use scare tactics as far as warranty work goes. I know a lot of folks can barely change a tire much less troubleshoot and fix anything these days and rely on warranties. I also think its too bad how poorly 99% of all Toyhaulers are put together. I built my 1st one and if I do it a 3rd time I will likely build the 3rd one and do it exactly as I want it.

JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/12 08:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yz450mm wrote:

JayWalker2009 wrote:

I guess things really would be peachy if you could go elsewhere to get a killer deal and the poor local guy down the street just gets stuck with all the warranty work with pitiful reimbursement rates.

So the "poor local guy" wants to make 8K off the sale of a new unit,and gets approached by a buyer that wants a deal that will net the "PLG" 4k. "PLG" turns him away, and makes $0.00. Buyer comes to "PLG" 2 months later with warranty work needed that will net "PLG" $70/hr for some simple warranty work, "PLG" turns him away and nets $0.00 again. So "PLG" has made exactly nothing, and probably still has the original unit sitting on his "poor local lot".

"PLG" takes deal for 4k profit, then customer returns with warranty work for $70/hr (rv mechanics make about 15/hr), then sends friends down for another new unit purchase 4 months later because he is a satisfied customer. "PLG" nets 20k over the course of the year from 2 sales, all because he recognized that good customer service is the key to running any business that is based on customer satisfaction.

Just because some guy decided to open a RV sales lot in my town does not mean that I have to open up my wallet to make sure HE stays in business. If you're going to take the business risk of selling a product with a warranty, and you have a service facility at your lot, then stand behind the product you are selling; even if you make $70/hr instead of the $100/hr that YOU think your time is worth.

I am a business owner (general contractor), and have to lower my service rates/profit expectations in times of economic downturns. If people aren't driving off your RV lot with new units every day, then you'd better find a way to bring in some money. I'd say that having satisfied customers would be a good start, and turning people away certainly isn't making them satisfied.

There is no reason that the RV industry should not be held to the same standard as the automobile industry regarding warranty support.If you warranty your product, then fix it when it breaks, period.

As I stated, everyone is entitled to chase the best deal. The dealer is also allowed to deny your warranty work. It's really that simple.

As far as saying the RV industry should be comparable to the automobile industry, well good luck with that one. I think we all know they are not apples to apples. I don't think any RV owner would not want them to be more similar.

MadMav

Colorado Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/12 11:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JayWalker2009 you are wrong,

Nowhere in the warranty info does Dutchmen excuse the dealer from having to perform warranty work here.

Read below....
HOW TO OBTAIN WARRANTY SERVICE
To obtain warranty service the owner must deliver the recreation vehicle to an authorized Dutchmen dealer (with proof of purchase and freight prepaid) within a reasonable time after discovery of the defect within the warranty period. Upon requesting the warranty services be prepared to be asked for:
Your name
Date of purchase
Dutchmen vehicle ID number
An explanation of the anticipated warranty claim
If the dealer is unable to resolve any warrantable issues or for assistance in arranging repairs, please contact: Customer Service Department, Dutchmen Manufacturing, Inc., 2164 Caragana Court, Goshen, Indiana, 46526. Telephone Number (574) 537-0700. Upon receipt of notice of a claim, where the dealer was unable or unwilling to resolve the problem, either an alternate dealer or the manufacturing plant or factory service facility will take action pursuant to this Limited Warranty.

Dutchmen has to abide by this policy, which means forcing the dealer to uphold their part in this.

Mav

* This post was edited 07/19/12 12:14pm by MadMav *

"A fifth wheel trailer is a bi-level towable mobile home."

sofar-sogood

West Palm Beach, Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/12 11:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Where the dealer was unable or unwilling to resolve the problem, either an alternate dealer or the manufacturing plant or factory service facility"

In my eyes, that means that if the dealer refuses to do the warranty work, Dutchman can require you to return it (prepaid) to "the manufacturing plant" which is in Indiana. Thats exactly what the Dutchman rep told me.

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/12 10:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're still beating this old horse?

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited

flyinguy68

Mehoopany, Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/12 10:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Y-Guy wrote:

We're still beating this old horse?

Hello Folks!
My name is Tom, and I am new here at RVnet, and I love to beat a good Dead Horse haha.

Seriously though, I know this topic has been beat to death about Dealers not taking MFG Warranty work if you did not buy from them. So before anybody wants to beat me up too badly, I have read all 7 pages of this topic, and countless hours on other topics, and truely do appreciate the wisdom and knowledge that a resource like this provides.

One thing I have not come across yet, is how dealerships treat folks with the third party warranty programs, like those that are purchased for extentions, or maybe purchased on used RV's? Most of what I have read indicates that Dealers seem reluctant to honor MFG warranties because they only get 70% of their asking rate. Is this typically what one can expect when trying to use a extended third party warranty that they probably paid thousands for? I did not get an extended warranty on my first RV purchase, and I did buy locally. But now I'm looking and trading up, and if I can save $20000 dollars by going to Holmans I will do so, because quite frankly I as well as most folks intend on traveling with this thing and I would say that there is a good probability that I won't be near my Local dealer when I need help anyway.

* This post was edited 07/27/12 03:52pm by flyinguy68 *

'11 GMC 3500 Diesel Dually
'13 Keystone Fuzion 360
Toys to be hauled:
'08 Can-Am Outlander 650 Max XT
'04 Honda 450 ES Foreman
'03 BMW K1200LT

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/12 03:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom,

Here is my understanding of how extended warranties should work. If you buy it from a dealer and have it serviced at that dealer they will often do all the billing and paperwork for you. You'd just pay your co-pay. If you have it serviced at another dealer or bought it direct, then you usually get the quote from the servicing dealer, then seek approval from the warranty company. Usually you pay the dealer yourself and the warranty company will then pay you, unless that dealer works with the warranty company enough to have a trusted relationship.

I will say these are somewhat negotiable from a dealer, may wait until the very end, I recommend talking about it as soon as you reach a fair amount for your deal. Shop around before hand if you can. Talk to local dealers to see which ones they like or don't like too.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Beware of no warranty work by Dutchman Voltage dealers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS