|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Yahoo Hacked

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Dogbone

Ontario Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 06:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A while back someone mentioned their Yahoo email was hacked and sending out spam from their accounts, this article is about 400,000 Yahoo email accounts hacked.

400,000 Yahoo Accounts Hacked

2007 5th Wheel Crossroads Cruiser 30SK
2003 Ford F250

Dutch_12078

Great Sacandaga Lake, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/12 06:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All indications so far are that only current or former users of Yahoo's "Contributor Network", or its predecessor "Associated Content", feature are affected by this breach.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Lady Fitzgerald

Tempe, AZ, USA, Earth

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 08:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutch_12078 wrote:

All indications so far are that only current or former users of Yahoo's "Contributor Network", or its predecessor "Associated Content", feature are affected by this breach.

Still, it wouldn't hurt to change your Yahoo password anyway. There is always the chance the hackers didn't reveal all the addresses they obtained.

Jeannie

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 08:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have no idea if I was effected by the breach of security or not but about three months ago my Yahoo Email WAS captured and sending spam to my mailing list. It PAYS to have a few entries in your contact list that no longer work because you get failure messages when they try to use them and that's what alerted me that I had a problem. A simple password change cured the problem for me and I had no OTHER damage from the incident. I sent apology letters to my mailing list (appropriate addresses only) explaining what had happened and went on with my life

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Skipper Rod

Bellevue Nebraska

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 08:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine was hacked 3 weeks ago. Deleted my contacts(after I saved them somewhere else) and changed my password. So far so good I think

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 10:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Yahoo Password was changed... Yesterday. No point in taking chances.

I Updated Ms Wait with the new PW hint today (Helen Wait is my password manager, if you want to know my passwords just go to Helen Wait).

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

96Bounder30E

America is my home!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/12 11:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from General RVing

Washington, DC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/12 11:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMO, Yahoo mail does lack in protecting its users and falls behind GMail, Live Hotmail, and even AOL which offer full session encryption, and not just login. Also, the reason I don't use Yahoo mail for email other than for access to Yahoo Groups.

Lady Fitzgerald

Tempe, AZ, USA, Earth

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 01:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1492 wrote:

IMO, Yahoo mail does lack in protecting its users and falls behind GMail, Live Hotmail, and even AOL which offer full session encryption, and not just login. Also, the reason I don't use Yahoo mail for email other than for access to Yahoo Groups.

I tried Gmail and didn't like it; it was to cumbersome to use. Besides, Google is notorious for being nosy.

I can't use Hotmail because they require that one has cookies enabled. I refuse to do that; it's my danged computer and I will determine who puts what on it.

AOL is known as AoHell for a reason.

Yahoo is what's left. I've had my password hacked only once (I changed it within 24 hours of it happening). I found out the next morning after the news broke about the latest hack in that there is a website one can go to to find out if their password was one of those listed by the hackers. I had already changed my password.

I still feel it would be wise to change any Yahoo passwords one may have even if they aren't on that list since there is no telling if the passwords listed were the only ones hacked into.

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/12 02:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I changed my Yahoo password yesterday too, even though it's my junk mail/new forum account I still would like to keep it.

I gave up on depending on the free ones and bought my own domain and it only costs me about $50/year for the website and up to 99 email accounts. Whole family uses it it's pretty cheap and best of all I'm not dependent on anyone else.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Yahoo Hacked
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: