|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Oxygen User wants to use RV

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
recnmac

Tacoma, Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/12 04:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Husband uses oxygen 24/7. Wants to use our class C at electical plugin park. Possible? Thanks from a wife who needs to get away.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/12 05:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oxygen 24/7......what kind of back up plan to you have in case of power loss?

Do you have a generator for just in case?

If you have a back up plan..then camping should be no different than being home.
You have a back-up plan at home right?

2007 RAM 3500 QC LB SRW 5.9L CTD 48re 4:10 4K in bed 'quiet genny'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
Hit the Road Debt Free & Clear April '07
Came off the road still Debt Free & Clear Jan. '14

Chuck&Gail

In the Colorado Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/12 06:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have RV'd nearly 100,000 miles with wife on oxygen. First off, IMO liquid is the pits. Really a pain planning trip around places to get refill.

Look at a Sequal Eclipse concentrator. Runs off 120 VAC, OR 12 VDC in RUNNING car, OR its own internal battery. Easy to walk with in tourist stops, museums, restaurants, etc. We carry a spare battery, which allows REALLY long stops (depending on flow of course). Operates on puffer to conserve O2 while awake and using batteries, and continuous for sleeping (required in wifes case, ask your doctor).

Our backup plan is simple. We carry a regulator and two small O2 tanks. All we need is enough to reach ANY hospital, as hospitals all have O2. Once there, we can plot our next move with leisure.

Need more info, pm me.

Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/12 06:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depending on the layout of your cockpit area if there is room for the concentrator you might be able to use a True Sine Wave inverter for power when actually traveling, this will also hang in there long enough to let you get up and crank up Mr. Onan's contribution if you have one (or grab a tank if you don't). Provided you have enough battery.

Both my mother, and my former parish priest used Oxygen. Thus I have some knowledge of the stuff.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

PapPappy

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/12 06:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The RV will be pretty much what the house is....if you plan for things properly. Let the CG owner know that you are in need of their more reliable power, just in case. I'd also make sure that you always pull in to a CG with a full tank of gas, for the genset, if needed. You'll go quite a few days with the generator if needed.

As mentioned, having a back-up system is what you need at home, and it's what you need in the RV.

Good luck

Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008 FMCA# F407293
The Pets

dadechil

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/12 06:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we travel with My Mother in Law in tow, Her o2 company provides us with a 50 lb liquid O2 tank, and she already has the helios system tanks. Definately the way to go if traveling as you are not dependent on electricity to breathe. If thats not possible you only need a 20 amp circuit to run the O2 generator, If your camper cant handle it a dedicated heavy duty extension cord to the Power post will, and of course some E tanks as back up .

MeandMyLabs

Clinton, Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 01:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Up until a few months ago, I was on O2. During the fist year (about 3 years ago), my oxygen needs were full time and then, gradually, the demand lessened to just at night. This past winter, I was taken off oxygen completely. I took my home concentrator in my small TT many times and used it just like when I was at home. It was fairly small, approximately 24 x 18 x 18 tall and would easily travel. I always made sure I had at least two days supply of oxygen tanks for backup just in case.

I would very strongly suggest you make provisions to continue RVing. Although needing supplimental oxygen can be inconvenient, it is very doable in an RV and much more convenient than a hotel or traveling by airline.

I wish you the best of luck.

2013 XLR 27 HFS
2009 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.0 L
Yamaha 2400is
Champion 4000 watt
Yamaha Zuma 50cc
Kawasaki Brute Force 650
Camping Buddy - Raji (yellow lab)

lgarcia

West Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 01:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DH works full time, so he has a concentrator at home, a concentrator at work, a dozen E cylinders and half a dozen C cylinders for travel and for being outside. Covered by my health insurance as durable medical equipment.

Concentrator model seems to be whatever Lincare has in stock. We have two different brands. When one has lived its life, they get us another one. We take the smaller and quieter of the two concentrators when we travel. It fits just fine in our 14ft TT between the kitchen counter and the sofa. We can even put it in the shower (when not showering) and run the electric cord and hose under the door as there is a pretty big gap under the bathroom door.

Using Lincare has enabled us to get bottle refills in different states, but be aware that another state may need a recent doctor's prescription - we found that out the hard way when we unexpectedly stayed in Maryland when my dad died. The Maryland Lincare wanted a current prescription and all our local West Virginia Lincare had on file was the original that was several years old. It was also the weekend. Kudos to the local Lincare for working to fix things up.

As for the portable regulator - DH used whatever they first gave him. We did wise up and request one that has both the on-demand and the continuous flow after reading up on it and going through a lot of bottles in a week. We bought a spare portable continuous regulator off eBay for about $30 for peace of mind while traveling and DH keeps it in his grip.

* This post was edited 07/16/12 01:31pm by lgarcia *

Laura, Rodney, and Elfie the Schnoodle
2012 Dutchmen 814RB; 2011 Dodge 1500 Hemi; 2012 Sun Dolphin Sportsman; 2003 Tracker Targa V-18

lgarcia

West Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/12 07:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Travel with oxygen concentrator for time in TT and nighttime hookup to bpap. Use E cylinders during time outside of the TT - pretty much what DH does anyway at work and home

recnmac

Tacoma, Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/12 09:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all of the great answers. Have concentrator but it is way to large for our 27' class C. Physician mentioned fire. I don't know much about the rig but husband says (from his failing memory) furnace/AC if needed is electric starter but propane fueled. Stove of course is propane. A Monaco Esquire.
Saw an ad for a shoulder worn, square converter. Don't know anything about it though. Any one know anything about it? Have only two 2 hour reserve tanks.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Oxygen User wants to use RV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS