|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Feline hiccups, question for Dr. Doug please

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
anaro

Mebane, NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/12 04:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hope the appt went well and she is feeling better soon.

2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL
Reese Dual Cam

2 nights camped in 2014!
21 nights camped in 2013!
21 nights camped in 2012!
27 nights camped in 2011!

CatandJim

Tulsa, as in Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/12 05:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The vet did a very thorough exam, well all he could do without doing x-rays or sonagrams. He felt the symptom I've been trying so hard to describe, so that was good. He also detected some wheezing in her chest and what sounds like a "tiny bit of restriction" in her throat. He called it a "gag" or "reflex swallowing" rather than a hiccup but says it can be caused by a sore throat or stomach problems and since she is eating and not having more problems with puking or upset stomach we ruled that out for now.

He has seen cats present with similar symptoms and starts with treating it like allergies &/or congestion which usually brings about good results from his experience. She is on Clavamox and Chlorpheniramine (2mg) twice a day for a few days and we'll see if she improves. If not, we will do some more testing, perhaps chest x-rays &/or a sonagram of her throat.

He bragged about how shiny her coat is, the condition of her ears & teeth, and that she appears to be a healthy 14+ year old gal. That made me feel better.

I am feeling more optimistic and she is happy to be home. She HATES going to the vet, poor little sugar, she's been twice in three days.

So.. that's the plan.

Cat
(Jim just reads the forum once in a while)

Our toys:
2003 Damon Ultrasport 3873
(picture on profile)
Boat = ProCraft Fish & Ski

Working our way toward retirement...wishing it was soon.

dturm

Munster, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/12 05:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good plan.

Doug & Sandy
Jill (12yr old Golden)
Henry our camping cat
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

CatandJim

Tulsa, as in Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/12 06:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dturm wrote:

Good plan.

Thanks Dr. Doug, I thought so. Your agreement is reassuring.

anaro

Mebane, NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/12 06:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad to hear you may be making some progress. Keep us updated.

CatandJim

Tulsa, as in Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/12 09:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Update.

Finally! Well at least I think it's finally over.

It took a while, with her symptoms coming & going while on the prescribed treatment but I think... I hope it's gone. She has gone over 24 hours without the hiccups or the reflex swallowing or whatever it is/was.

As of this morning, I'm out of the antibiotic (Clavamox) and have (I think) another 10 days of the Chlorpheniramine tablets. Which, by the way, I was lulled into a false sense of security the first couple of days pilling her...it all seemed so easy those first two days, but she fights that pill popper with gusto now! Fun times, not! Anyone who has pilled a cat understands what I'm saying, the liquid antibiotic was much less likely to cause injury to me. LOL

Thanks for the PM's and notes on Facebook asking about Blanca. I think my queen kitty just might be on the mend.

Code2High

One hour past Nowhere, CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/12 12:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, that's interesting. I find pills so much easier than liquid, always request pills.

You do have to be fast with your fingers though, especially with a cat. Although I've found that pushing the pill back tends to make them want to spit the finger back rather than bite it.

Anyway I'm glad she's feeling better!

susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

CatandJim

Tulsa, as in Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/12 03:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Susan...

To be honest I think I would enjoy watching you try to give Blanca a pill without help, she's a tough old gal! I'm glad to say I have help, after the first couple of days she was on to my tricks and was 11.5 pounds of pure fight, clamped mouth, jerking head, back feet at ready to claw, yes she got me a few times despite my best effort. It's fast and easy for all of us when my husband helps..... by myself, not so much, even with the pill popper.

Then again I never claimed to be an expert. LOL

dturm

Munster, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/12 04:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CatandJim wrote:

Then again I never claimed to be an expert. LOL

Experts are not experts with cats Worst bite I've ever had was pilling a cat. My index finger swelled to about 3X normal size and took weeks to resolve. My reflexes (even when I was younger) were no match for a cat. I swear they can swat me with their paws three or four times before my reflex pulls my hands back.

Henry has become hyperthyroid (about 6 months now) and we treat with transdermal meds. So much easier on him and us.

CatandJim

Tulsa, as in Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/12 04:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Dr. Doug, I feel a little better, even though it's at your expense.

She never succeeded in biting me even though she did try once when I was still convinced I could do it by myself. She has, however, scratched me up pretty good a couple of times before I finally go it through my head that I needed help... those cat scratches on the... ahem... upper body... don't feel so good.

I just hope the pills aren't needed long term... for her sake and mine! If something has to be ongoing I would opt for liquid or transdermal, if available.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Feline hiccups, question for Dr. Doug please
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS