|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> flushable wipes

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
RRUGG

Newaygo, MI,USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/12 12:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nothing to do with RVs but based on my own use, if they contain some sort of soap, you're setting yourself up for an itching problem at your south end. Ask me how I know that. Discontinuing use of them ended the itching after a day or so. Got so bad I saw a doctor about it. Story of my life. Learn stuff the hard way. Character defect?

RRUGG
2009 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 1500 4x4 5.3L
2011 Kodiak 281RLGS travel trailer
2011 Egg Camper
2010 Chrysler Town & Country
Good Sam life members
Bob & Grace professional retirees

Camped in 49 states. Missing Hawaii.

PatrickA51

Lost

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/12 12:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tmmar wrote:

narcodog wrote:

I wouldn't use them. In a home system you flush power to force the stuff down the pipe. In an R/V it is just gravity.If one got hung up along the way you may have a problem.

X2!!

X3

Western Sky Ranch

Norco, California, U.S.A.

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/12 01:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RRUGG wrote:

Nothing to do with RVs but based on my own use, if they contain some sort of soap, you're setting yourself up for an itching problem at your south end. Ask me how I know that. Discontinuing use of them ended the itching after a day or so. Got so bad I saw a doctor about it. Story of my life. Learn stuff the hard way. Character defect?

T.M.I.!

2003 Ford F250, Super Crew, 4X4, 6.0 Liter Power Stroke Diesel with a Reese hitch.
2008 Carraige Domani DF300 fifth wheel

***And a 2011, Lance 825 Truck Camper!!***

RALLIES ATTENDED 2

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/12 01:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your TC has a really, really short, non-convoluted dump plumbing path from the black tank to the outlet, then maybe, repeat _maybe_.

The likely issues I see are the possibilities that they may take time to break down, and they may require the presence of more bacteria than are present in the short-term environment of the holding tank.

Gotta say that I probably won't try them in my Tiger CX, even with its super short, one 90-degree turn dump plumbing.

Jim, "I live in my own my little world. But it's OK, they all know my name here."

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory') www.tigervehicles.com

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/12 01:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use them, and use plenty of water to flush. so far no problem. Oh yes, I also have a quickie flush in the tank so it also helps to flush them out the sewer hose to the CG sewer.

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/12 01:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Several years ago we tried these at home (city sewer system) and they ended up clogging our drain (actually outside the house and before it reach the city line). Plumber snaked it out and broke it free.

Fast forward a few years. We now live in a house on a septic system. Wife bought a package of these "wipes" and I questioned them. Before using any, I dropped one of them into a glass of water and let it sit over night. Next morning I shook the glass and it dissolved like an alka-seltzer in water. The cloth was completely dissolved.

Although these do dissolve, we've decided to NOT put them down the toilet. In the camper, we never use them.

DutchmenSport

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually Duramax 6.6 HD diesel
2013 Keystone Outback 298RE Travel Trailer
I am now the proud owner of an Equal-i-zer WD hitch, 14,000 pounds. My Reese bit the dust after more than 10 years of use on 3 trailers!

cactus121

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/12 01:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We subscribe to the "better safe than sorry" philosophy and put them in the trash even at the house (septic system). Trash gets taken out often, but that's better than emergency maintenance

2005 Dodge Ram Cummins TD, Standard Cab, Long Bed, Tow/Haul Pkg
2012 Travel Lite 800
1997 Jeep TJ

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/12 02:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just so happens I was flushing out the black tank just yesterday. Now I had previously dumped the black tank with a very full condition so there should not have been anything in there. Well the only thing(s) in there were the disposable wipes and of course they were no longer white...

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2000 Hurricane 30Q

jjjandrbaker

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/12 02:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Always guilty of offering "To Much Information", I will admit to using those Preparation H hemorrhoid wipes. Now, I use it following normal wiping with tissue, so it isn't as nasty as it sounds. Instead of dropping it in the trailer commode, I drop it into a ziplock sandwich bag and put it in the trash, which gets taken out of the trailer immediately after.

Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

Chuck&Gail

In the Colorado Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/12 04:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

There was a post on here not to long ago asking for suggestions on how to unplug the black tank drain line.......wife found them 'disposable wipes' and had been using them

Yup. I'd not use them. Just toss them in a bucket for trash.

Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> flushable wipes