|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Class A verses 5th Wheel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Camper Mama Bear

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 08:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

5er set-up is as easy or difficult as you make it. your observation of wife sitting watching her husband for 30+ minutes. of course it took him longer.

Depending on the 5er, depends on how automatic or manual the leveling jacks are. you also don't have to unhook the 5er from the truck if you are level enough. if we are stopping for one night, or staying for a weekend and know we are staying in the campground, we don't always unhitch.

as for running the a/c to have a cool rig once you set up. We have a generator that we travel with in the bed of the truck. if we know we need to trailer cool, either for a lunch stop or to pull in for the night. the hour or two before stopping, hubby will start the generator run the cord from the trailer up to it and turn the a/c on. I have a cool rig when we stop.

Similar for heat in the cooler months. he will turn the heat on an hour or two before stopping so that the trailer is warm when we are reading to go into it.

there are differing opinions on driving with the generator on as well as the heat on, but it works for us. besides "if Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy"

Good Sam Life Members. Camping with two young children in a 2007 Pilgrim fifth wheel (278BHSS) pulled with a 2002 F350.

Mr.Mark

CA/TN

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 09:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camper Mama Bear, I know the 'event' that I saw of the older couple setting up their 5ver was not the norm. Especially when the 5ver fell on the back of the truck. I really felt sorry for the couple, a major part of their evening was setting up their 5th wheel. We would have been on our second drink by then! LOL!

We have both air leveling and hydraulic leveling. Most of the time I use the air leveling as the coach will level in 10-12 seconds. Generally, I will only use the hydraulic legs when we have a concrete pad.

MM.

Mr.Mark
2013 Honda CR-V EXL, AWD, w/Nav, SMI Air Force One vacuum-assisted braking, Blue Ox base-plate, Blue Ox tow bar.
2015 Liberty Coach Elegant Lady, 45 ft., one and a half bath, 4 slide, 500 hp Volvo.

jassrnj

Bath, PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 08:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had TT, 5er, popupcampers, you name it ... the class A is the easy one to drive and setup. My wife refuses to drive anything but a car so I'm stuck driving any RV that I have. You may want to consider getting new front seats. There are a ton of them on the market and many people have replaces the Flexsteel with more comportable seats. Run the generator and the house air if you want to stay cool. The dash AC cannot keep the whole MH cool in very high temps.

raindove

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/12 10:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can get a nice folding stool for about $10. I have one. My feet touch the floor, but it helps my back to have options to get in different positions while driving. It folds up when you're not using it. I also use it to reach the cabinets over the dinette.Folding stool
Re-reading this, it sounds like I am using a footstool while driving. Just wanted to clarify, I'm the co-pilot. )

Also regarding the Class A vs a 5'r... We like the class A. We can pull over for a rest stop, and when you stop overnight, you don't have to get out of your MH. There is more flexibility - I can sit in different places - different seats, sofa, dinette - so my back doesn't raise any more "H" than it does. It definitely helps me to go places, having the class A. Without it, I'd be no further than 30 miles from home.

* This post was edited 07/17/12 12:39pm by raindove *

Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder

RVER

West of Boston, MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/12 12:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am a woman RVer, have had a MH and now drive a truck and pull a 36 ft fiver. Fiver is much more roomy for the same size unit, fiver takes more to set up once at the campground, more intense like putting down the rear stabilizers is manual, unhitching takes time and effort etc. I say get your wife a foot stool and back rest, and see how that goes. MHs drive differently than fivers and I believe both are stable but I feel MHs are easier to drive so can drive further with less fatigue. IF you go places and stay for a night or two then definitely MH is better given what it takes to park, unhitch and set up a fiver vs MH but if you are driving to a place and staying a few weeks to months then fiver is better in that there really is more room in a 36 ft fiver vs 36 ft MH. All the space is usable, no dashboard and the seats used for driver and passenger in MH become living room chairs which usually are not as comfortable as the chairs in fiver. IF you bought an inexpensive fiver you will not get the comforts. Also if you pull into a Walmart or Truckstop you never have to get out of your MH but with the fifthwheel you do have to get out to put down the front stabilizers to get weight off the hitch even if you do not unhitch. Also people worry that someone will fool with the hitch in the night so when you pull away the rig stays put but that is fixed easily by locking the hitch to the truck.
We like the fifthwheel but do think we are going to buy a MH in the coming years for the ease of no hitch involved and safety of staying overnight without getting out of the rig, and driving is less intense in MH. Front diesel is HOT, can you put on the house air with generator running while you drive to cool down the rig for you or get the dash air fixed?

Chevy Silverado 2500HD with Duramax engine and Allison transmission
2002 Sunnybrook 34BWTS with lots of goodies
Pullrite Superglide Hitch, Prodigy brake controller
S and S Co-Travelers and along for the ride is Ketzel the wonder cat.

raindove

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/12 12:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

roy H wrote:

When I purchased our class A rv I did not want to drive

We have one definite problem right now that kind of weighs on us while driving our class A; the dash AC does not seem to work well and it gets very hot driving the Class A in 105 degree weather. We have a 35 foot front diesel which was a trade up from a 34 foot gas. The diesel is much quitter than the screaming gas v10 we had before. We also have a Chev 250 diesel that is very quite and comfortable that we would be using if we went to a 5th wheel.

Get your a/c checked out. You might just need a shot of freon (or whatever they are using these days) in it. Ours crapped out on the way to FL -- hubby got a can of stuff at Walmart and we were back in business.

Pop-Pop C

N Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/12 01:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a 2008 38' FRED, we also had the frt. AC problem.
Dealer said good as it gets. Didn't like the suspension, too much. " ROCK AND ROLL.
Noise was no problem , plenty of power pulling a Honda CRV.
Never had a pusher.
We went to 40' fiver triple slide ,with 1 t. Dooley Chevrolet. duramax.
It is just like driving your car. Almost forget it is back there. No rock and roll.
Yes there is a little more work setting up. But once it is. There is more "IIVING AREA!
Kind of a learning curve. Would like the auto jacks. Next time.
I guess to each there own!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Class A verses 5th Wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS