RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Creeping over the Rockies!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Creeping over the Rockies!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next
Sponsored By:
Gappy

NE Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 05:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First time to climb real mtns in this rig at the beginning of a 2 week Colorado, Utah trip. I am pulling a 4 dr Wrangler and am surprised how slow going the grades are for us. At one point I was down to first gear and 20 mph and quite the line up behind me.
A lot of 2nd gear and 30-35 mph and the go pedal is generally on the floor. Engine temp is great, oil pressure fine. I don't have a trany temp gauge. We are in the east foot hills by Pikes Peak and headed west tomorrow so was thinking about unhooking the wrangler and have the wife drive it to ease the pain of the climbs and descends. Do you think that is worth while?
I assume all this is normal for a 39 ft DP at 10K ft elevation. Any suggestions

Tom

2013 Silverado 2500 Duramax Crew LTZ Z71 4x4
2013 Winnebago ONE 32BH

dupreet

High Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 05:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brings back teenage memories of tractoring up I-40W near Black Mountain, NC with a heavily-loaded 12-pax van towing a 28.5' Prowler Bunkhouse. First gear and 11mph all the way up the hill. I got all excited passing a poor semi doing about 6mph!!!

Safe Travels!

Todd

Todd

1993 Ford E-350 pushed by a 1988 Wilderness 24' TT

SCOMP225

Brownsburg,Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 05:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your Climbs are fine - just let the MH grab it's own gear and keep going at 10,ooo ft everything is a little slower- do you have an Oxygen mask ?

Chuck
1992 American Eagle

Edouard

Hudson QC. or Lake Worth, Fl

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 05:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not let the mountain climbing grades spoil my trip, just sit back, watch the temp guages and enjoy the scenery with your DW sitting beside you. RV'g was not meant to be following each other up the hills. I did those same hills with a ford 275hp first edition v-10, gave your suggestion some thought, then decided, Hey, there's no rush.

Eugene & Stella
08 Dolphin DL35C, WH-24, Allison 6 Spd.Tranny.(FOR SALE)
2013 Kia Soul 4U.Automatic, Rental Tow Dolly for now.
FMCA 318247

NorCal Dan

Ocean Park, WA.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/12 06:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your 1st gear/20mph sounds painful. How much horsepower in your rig? I've got the ISL 400hp in our rig and rarely do we drop below 45mph on the hills.

Unhooking the toad may help a little, my rig doesn't notice our Jeep back there going up, but I know it's back there going down.

'13 Ram 2500Hemi pulling '12 Coachman Chaparral -- USAF Retired --

sbmowrey

sc

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 06:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't see where it would hurt anything to give it a try. I usually unhook the towed when I enter the east gate into Yellowstone and it does make a difference.
I don't think I would do it for the day but if you were coming to a bad section it might be worth it.

2006 Mandalay 40G
2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Sully2

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/12 06:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Id unhook on the long steep climbs if I were running your gasser. The less you have to run the coach at "explosion" RPM's the longer its going to last. Dont matter the fwd speed..its the RPM's that will do you in.

As far as normal for a rig your size....yep! Seen it many a time...no big deal...just one more is all

2000 Country Coach Allure; Cummins ISC 330 HP; 71/2 - 8 MPG regardless
2002 Jeep Liberty

Gappy

NE Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 06:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's a 330 Cat.

crasster

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 06:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with the "find the gear" and "enjoy the trip" mentality. Take a chill pill and enjoy the views. Loosen that grip on the steering wheel. RV'ing is supposed to be fun, not stressful.

4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 06:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gappy wrote:

It's a 330 Cat.
There is your reason.....That is a lot of weight for a baby Cat to haul over a grade. That is the main reason we bought a MH with a 400ISL, after having a Fleetwood with the ISB300 and seeing the same thing you are seeing. Unhooking the toad will help, but NOT to the extent you think.

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/ Rzr or Suzuki or an ACE riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Creeping over the Rockies!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS