|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Pulling into angled spot at storage yard

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
boatpuller

longview,wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/12 09:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I ran into a situation that proved to be far more difficult than i expected. We had to rent a spot at a storage.They have you angle park with only 3 to maybe 4 feet in between trailer's. And fairly narrow runways down the aisles. I thought no problem,I'll just swing wide and pull right in....Wrong..my back end would have clipped the trailer parked next to me on the drivers side.after much jockeying i managed to get it in there. Any tips from folk's with some storage parking experience?

ch-ta

MN

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 09:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

not much you can do about it other than request a parking space on either end of the row.

2013 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD CC 4WD D/A
2013 Keystone Sprinter 266RBS

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 09:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just hope you get it out OK.

mangler

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 09:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not much help can be offered except practice ... Or a different spot if it really doesn't fit.

I parked in a spot once where it was angled, and separated by chains. I understand why they do this, but it also removes half of the space between trailers when parking. It was annoying. I mean ... we all cross the yellow line as we are parking our car right? The goal is to be parked between the lines, not stay between them the whole time we are parking, and yet that's what they were essentially enforcing.

Travelling with the wife and two kids (16and14)...
5th: '08 Colorado 29BHDS (10-11,000 lbs wet)
TV : '04 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison Crew Cab

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/12 09:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not the best situation, but there is very good practice at backing up! I believe that you have better maneuverability backing up than trying to pull through. With my LBCQ I always find it easier to back into a parking space than to dive in.
I get the impression that the space is a "pull through" next time come to the other side and try backing in.

Russ & Paula
The Beagles Hedwig and Precious.
Portland, OR.
2001 Dodge 2500 4X4, 5.9 Cummins 5 speed, 3.55 gears, Pacbrake PRXB, DS Power Puck,Bilstien 5100's, 270,000 miles.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS

joebedford

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 06:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Find a deserted parking lot and practice practice practice.

jjjandrbaker

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 07:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nothing to offer here. I have a perfectly strait spot at the storage lot. The one next to me is angled "slightly". I have a heck of a time trying to back in because it does something optically to me. I have started relying on the left side mirrors when doing it there. Practice has helped.

Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

Shadow_Grey

St. Louis, MO area

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 08:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe when it is time to get it out you can borrow a shorter/smaller, more manuverable truck just to get it out. See if they have a spotting truck at the storage too. My winter storage spot (very large, free standing, metal enclosed shed) has a tractor with hydraulic mounts and they stack them in real close for everybody. They call us in the spring when opening up and taking them all out in order (1,2,3 in, 3,2,1 out).

'11 F150 XLT Red Candy Met. Ecoboost 4X4 Screw 5.5' Chrome/Conv/Offroad/Max Tow/+ Packages,Reese R16k 5th wheel hitch,Ride-Rite Air Springs,Extang Cover
'13 Keystone Cougar X-Lite 29RES,triple slides,Mor/Ryde suspension, Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder

OldPhil

Goleta, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/12 01:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been in the position for five years. First-be patient; second, since there a lot of variables,vary only one thing at a time; for instance your position before you start backing up; once that seems to fine then look at when you start cutting the wheels and then how much. I find I have to be careful not to be fixated on one side of the trailer. I've also learned that after many years of experience, my wife has developed a good sense in telling me what to do-at least when backing up the rig.

newk

Gillette, WY

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 09:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I figure it's a good place to practice my backing. I tend to attract crowds at the campgrounds, but at my storage lot there's seldom anyone around. And there are times when I'm very thankful for that!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Pulling into angled spot at storage yard
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS