RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Pet Stop: unattended dogs left in travel trailer?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> unattended dogs left in travel trailer?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
TNGW1500SE

Oliver Springs TN

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 09:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camping websites list pet restrictions and it says they cannot be left unattended at campsites so I am wondering if this means they cannot be left in our camper while we go away for the day? I of course would not be there so I could not guarantee they would not bark occasionally when someone walked by but in general they should be as quiet as when we were there. (they'd bark when someone walked by when we were there as well...they're dogs!!) So what are the "rules"? We have not taken the travel trailer anywhere yet and bought it so the dogs could travel with us but now these "pet rules" are making me wonder! Any help would be great! Thanks!

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 09:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It really is a hard choice to make. We take the dogs with us as much as possible. Before traveling anywhere, we plan on taking the dogs with us wherever we go. Our rule is, if the dogs can't be there, we don't go there either.

However, on some rare occasions, we DO have to leave the dogs behind. (My wife's class reunion was onc such occasion). And the campground we stayed in had the same rule.

I do know the rule definatly means, Do not leave your dog outside unattended --- ever!

But, what happens inside your camper is your responsibility. Fortunately, our dogs are crate trained. So on those very rare occasions (like the class reunion), we bring the crate along and put them in it inside the camper. This eliminates them from jumping around, being able to see outside the windows, or going nuts and causing damage. The confined space comforts them too, and the 2 dogs together have each other, so they are much more calm and relaxed when we are gone.

Try putting your dog in the camper and leave. Then walk back to the camper and stand outside and listen and see if they bark or not. You might even try making some noise outside the camper to disturbe them and see how crazy the get. If they are barkers or suffer from separation anxiety ... then ... there's your answer ... NEVER leave them in the camper alone. You'll need to adjust your activity plans to include them, or make arrangements to leave the dog at home.

DutchmenSport

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually Duramax 6.6 HD diesel
2013 Keystone Outback 298RE Travel Trailer
Equal-i-zer WD hitch system

Markiemark32

Atlanta

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/12 09:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good question, we are also new to TT & same situation (one big benefit of purchasing trailer was we could take dogs on adventures).

Like several cg rules, they are there to protect from extreme cases, I would guess.

Meaning if your dogs are not making a ruckos, then doubt there would be a problem.

Our dogs, are use to chilling and sleeping during the day (our work routine) and the nature of little Chihuahua's.

So we take them camping and let them chill at the trailer, while we are out & about.

Have wondered about if there was ever an issue, what would happen?!?!

Markiemark

Pawz4me

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 09:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If in doubt call and ask. That's what I do, and I've always been told that it's fine to leave them alone inside the RV.

Since you can't be positive how a dog will handle being left alone in an RV, I'd advise first leaving them and just sitting outside the RV and listening to what they do. If they're very smart, you may even need to fake leaving by getting in your vehicle, driving a hundred yards or so and then walking back. Asking a neighbor to call your cell phone immediately if they bark too much is another way to handle leaving them the first few times. You can also use an inexpensive voice-activated recorder.

Most of us close all the blinds/curtains/shades when we're gone so our dogs can't see out. Leaving on a fan or TV (or both) for white noise is also a very good idea. I personally crate my dogs when leaving them in the RV. For their own safety, for the safety of the RV, and to keep them from seeing out.

Me and the DH
Two boys and two dogs (and two cats who prefer to stay home)
2008 Forest River Georgetown 350DS (bunkhouse model)
2001 Honda CR-V

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 09:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some CG's are VERY strict about this rule. No pets left unattended in the RV means just that! If you are not there, the pets can not be left in your RV. I found that CG's that are strict about this rule will tell you over and over and over again about this rule during check in.

If the CG does not point this rule out during check in I will test the waters and watch what the other campers do. If they don't get kicked out when they leave their pets in the RV when they are gone I will do it. BUT, BIG BUT you have to make sure you have dogs that DO NOT bark when you are gone to do this irregardless if the CG has the rule or not.

Nothing more irritating than having to listen to a dog bark ad nauseum in a CG when the owner leaves them alone.

Quote:

Have wondered about if there was ever an issue, what would happen?!?!

When you get back they ask you to leave!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

bldrbuck

one or the other

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 09:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would suggest that you lock the dogs in the trailer and leave for a few minutes then go back where they can't see you and lieten to see if they are quiet. If not they need some training. I never leave our dogs more than 4 hours.

93 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel, DRW, Crew Cab. PullRite Hitch. 35' King of the Road 5er, 192 Watts Solar, 2800 Watt Yamaha Generator, 1750 Watt Inverter, 2 Trogan T105 Batteries, Me, my wife and 2 maltize furkids.

btmfdr

Barnegat NJ

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 09:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you do leave your pet behind in the trailer the sign that is attached may come in handy in the case of an emergency... Basically let's folks know there is a pet inside should something happen...

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/rescue-pet-sign/35267

This weekend we were working in the trailer and accidentally left our retriever behind... Back in the house making lunch and no dog, she does not miss us making lunch we knew she was missing... Looked all over before we found her sleeping in the trailer...

Current Setup
1997 Suburban 2500
2012 Rockwood 8312SS

Previous Setup
2002 Suburban 4x4
2002 Jayco Kiwi Too 30T

WyoTraveler

Northwest, Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/12 10:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I you have a PU as a tow vehicle you could put your dog in the truck bed. We take along the pet crate with the door off. We painted the top of the crate with the white insulated paint on top so it is cool and shaded inside. We also added plastic on the side open areas with some ventilation. We put the dog on a chain tied to the middle of the PU bed so he has just enough room to get around. He has food and water and we have never had a problem. We just take him along with us sight seeing or whatever. We also have a heavy matt under the pet crate so the hot metal of the truck bed doesn't hurt his paws.

2013 Monaco Monarch
2012 Jeep Wrangler
AC6CV, ex-WN8RUR, ex-W8RUR, ex-K7RIO, ex-WB6GBR since 1954
Commercial 1st class Radio Telephone, & Telegraph certificate
ARRL 35 WPM Certificate.

dupreet

High Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 10:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2-cents is it depends entirely on your dog.

I currently have one hyper-mutt that I would not leave alone in the camper because she would probably worry to the point of getting destructive and might get to barking...the fact that she is 125 pounds makes the destructive part scary!

Our other dog is a meek and quiet sled dog/wolf mix. She is totally cool and NEVER barks. We took her to the beach a few years ago and left her alone for a couple Wally World trips and dinners in the popup!

Todd

Todd

1993 Ford E-350 pushed by a 1988 Wilderness 24' TT

simsfmly

Ashtabula, OH

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 10:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are so many variables, here.
First, how are your dogs? Are they crate trained? Do they have anxiety if you're gone, even for a second?
Second, the CG you're staying in. We've seen MANY that have the rules, but only to use to enforce if there's a barking issue.
Third, how comfortable are you leaving your pets? Do you leave your dogs at your house often? How reliable is your air conditioning (during that last hot spell in upper 100's, we had an issue with our A/C blowing the breaker; would NEVER leave our girls with that possibility).
Every place is different, every dog is different.

[url=http://simslandyacht.blogspot.com/[/url]

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> unattended dogs left in travel trailer?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS