|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Toll Bridges around SF Bay Area

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
1rickw

redwood City, CA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/12 12:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before we bought our tow toad, my wife would drive the car behind me. When we came to a bridge, I would tell the toll taker I was paying for the car behind me too. It was $10.00 for both. When we started to tow, I got to the Toll Booth, and said the same thing. The price jumped to $14.00. So, now I find out that they have raised the toll to $20.00 if towing. Since we live about 3 miles from the Dumbarton Bridge, we decided to turn off before the bridge and unhook. Took about 10 minutes, tops to do so. My wife drove the toad to the bridge and I said I was paying for the car behind. Now it is a total of $10.00 again. I mentioned to the toll taker that I unhooked a couple blocks away, and she smiled and said wise idea. Won't be able to do this at all bridges, but at least at this one I get the discount.

2004 Jamboree 26Q + great wife to travel with

hallock5

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/12 12:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well played.

2008 Jayco Eagle Superlite 28.5RLS
2002 Ford 4x4 SuperCab 7.3 (Jr International) Diesel

Sad to say, time to sell to a good home.

othertonka

Stockton, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/12 01:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The toll bridges charge per axle, so if you are towing you are paying for 4 axles, two on the MH and two on the Toad.
Just found out that the per axle toll went up as of July 1 2012 to $5.00 per axle so yes it would be $20.00 if you tow the toad across.
Here is the link.
Tolls

* This post was edited 07/18/12 01:08pm by othertonka *

Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

sammie2011deleted

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/12 02:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1rickw wrote:

Before we bought our tow toad, my wife would drive the car behind me. When we came to a bridge, I would tell the toll taker I was paying for the car behind me too. It was $10.00 for both. When we started to tow, I got to the Toll Booth, and said the same thing. The price jumped to $14.00. So, now I find out that they have raised the toll to $20.00 if towing. Since we live about 3 miles from the Dumbarton Bridge, we decided to turn off before the bridge and unhook. Took about 10 minutes, tops to do so. My wife drove the toad to the bridge and I said I was paying for the car behind. Now it is a total of $10.00 again. I mentioned to the toll taker that I unhooked a couple blocks away, and she smiled and said wise idea. Won't be able to do this at all bridges, but at least at this one I get the discount.

Use a fast track on the car - so DW can whiz by you Seriously a good idea, never thought of that. But can you use Fastrac on your rig?

Janss

Sedona, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/12 11:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just came over one of the bridges a few days ago. The fees really irked me. Five bucks per car, but we have to pay per axle for four axles. They don't charge a car for two axles. We pay a disproportionate higher price. I know....nobody said life would be fair.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

srx-6

Houston

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/12 08:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would be tempted to unhook right on the spot drive em thru then hook back up.

JB & MB
2009 Monaco Camelot PDQ
2008 Jeep Wrangler

topflite51

In The Desert of Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/12 05:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pulling off the road and unhooking the toad, then doing it again to hook it back up...Is that really worth $10? NOT.

David
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to golf or fish
Simply Despicable
Any errors are a result of CRS.

srx-6

Houston

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/12 07:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First--It is the principle of the matter, charge per axle but if you are hooked together we charge more. I realize te five axle charge is for tractor-trailer but my motorhome is not commercial and does not weigh 80,000 pounds.
Second-- I woud not pull off of the road. I would do it at the gate.

topflite51

In The Desert of Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/12 02:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

srx-6 wrote:

First--It is the principle of the matter, charge per axle but if you are hooked together we charge more. I realize te five axle charge is for tractor-trailer but my motorhome is not commercial and does not weigh 80,000 pounds.
Second-- I woud not pull off of the road. I would do it at the gate.
Which would make you eligible for an impeding/blocking traffic ticket. Something I would not want to receive at a toll plaza in the Bay Area.

tahiti16

Camarillo, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 11:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They are going to fix that either next year or the year after. Check the toll web page and it shows the fare increases coming with the final one will equal per axle for ALL vehicles, so a car will pay for 2 axles. I am waiting for them to try and charge me for 5 axles because of the dolly and trying to count the axle loaded on the dolly! Rules say on the ground but some brilliant guberment worker will try I am sure.

Ray, Cheryl & of course Miss Molly the four-legged child

2006 Dolphin 36' F53 V10 5 speed auto 2 slides 7.5 KW genset

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Toll Bridges around SF Bay Area
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS