RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: solar panel and controler, will this work?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> solar panel and controler, will this work?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
big buford

Buena Park, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/12 07:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The pannels I'm using are evergreen solar 210w 12v pannels Qty-2

Peak power Pmp 210 w
Max peak power Pmp max 214.99 w
Min peak power Pmp min 210 w
voltage @ peak power Vmp 18.30 v
Current @ peak power Imp 11.48 A
open circuit voltage Voc 22.80
short circuit current Isc 12.11

Would the rogue work for me?
Better to wire in series or parallel ?
If series how many amps would I see ?
Parallel would you add the 2? 11.48A x 2 = 22.96 A

Thank you

04.5 GMC 2500HD D/A
06 38 CKS Dune Chaser
Chenowth 4-seat Subaru pwr
06 Rhino
06 Raptor 700
Beautiful wife that's much nicer than me

2oldman

Sprague Lake

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/12 07:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe you should start your own thread.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/12 08:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rogue spec:
•30-amp output, 12-volt or 24-volt
•Use with 12-volt or 24-volt nominal PV arrays (60-volt Voc maximum)

So you have to adjust that 60 which is for 25C temp to the coldest you will use the panel -ie less panel rating than 60 total --and then you need a margin as well --the 1.25 factor

BTW when I had two panels, a 130 and an 80 I was getting 13.3 amps at noon (8.2 and 5.1) so with 210w IMO you should expect similar at times depending on how close they are pointed at the sun.

Say you got 27a with both, the 1.25 factor would make that 34a --4 over Rogue spec and that's at 25C not at 10C up a mountain in clear air.

If you mount them flat and etc etc, you might get away with the Rogue but I don't know myself if there is any risk of frying the thing. Others here will know exactly where you are on that. You sure don't want to be biting your nails instead of having a good time RVing!

2003 Chev 2500HD Gas, 2003 Komfort 26FS 5er
See Profile for Equipment List

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/12 08:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

big buford wrote:

Would the rogue work for me?
Better to wire in series or parallel ?
If series how many amps would I see ?
Parallel would you add the 2? 11.48A x 2 = 22.96 A

Thank you

Yes
Depends on shade, I would go series.
Similar amps to the battery either way.
The MPPT will probably get you a little more in good conditions.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

mena661

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/12 09:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KD4UPL wrote:

If you never see the rated amperage from your array you either bought cheap panels or something is wrong.
I don't have solar but if I go by the reports here, most panels don't put out their ratings. BFL is the only person here that I've read that gets his full rating and then some on a regular basis. Most seem to buy the Kyocera panels (until recently) so cheap panels can't be the answer. BFL has a Sharp panel and maybe the they advertise their average rating, who knows.

2009 Newmar Canyon Star 3205, Ford F53 V10
Trojan L16 6V's 740 Amp-hours

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/12 10:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL also adjusts the tilt every 10 minutes all day to get max power.
Most of us just slap it on flat and get on with our day.

hypoxia

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/12 10:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

big buford wrote:

Better to wire in series or parallel ?Thank you

The difference is; in series if one panel is partially shaded it will reduce the output of both panels. Sometimes that is the best solution for various factors, sometimes not. It does increase the voltage which allows you to use a smaller gauge wire to the controller.

Jim

2003 Fleetwood Revolution 40C

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/12 10:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

smkettner wrote:

BFL also adjusts the tilt every 10 minutes all day to get max power.
Most of us just slap it on flat and get on with our day.

Ha ha. As I posted, I only move it three times a day. It doesn't matter if I don't get the proper times right if we are away swimming at the lake or some other reason, it all works out well enough.

At sundown, I tilt it right over from West to East so it is ready for next morning before we are up. It stays untouched till 1145 when I put it to flat (it is tilted up at a fixed angle that I only change once a month ) Next event is to tilt it West at 1445. That's it.

Note- in the May post I reported noon was 1300 and so tilt changed at 1415, but in fact noon where we are camping is near 1315 so tilt times are 1145 and 1445, so do three hours mid-day of flat.

It wouldn't hurt that badly if I omitted the mid-day flat part and just went straight over from East to West sometime or other around lunch time, but I try to do the flat bit for mid-day since we are usually "home" for lunch.

I could play with it more but the AH gain from more tracking than that is marginal. On nice days with 90ah gained that is more than our 70ah usage. Since most days are mixed cloud/sun we still do quite well matching our usage.

Having the East Flat West tilter works especially well if it is cloudy in the morning and then clears up, or is sunny am and cloudy pm. That is when the thing really pays off in still getting lots of AH per day.

However as I did point out in that thread, a second panel would make up the AH so we would do as well without the contraption, but that would not be a good investment in our case for a variety of reasons.

BTW Salvo gets about the same amps from his 130w Kyocera as I do with the 130w Sharp based on graphs he has posted, so I doubt there is anything magical about my panel. I sure can't complain about the panel though.

mena661

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/12 11:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

I sure can't complain about the panel though.
I sure wouldn't!

Almot

out there

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/12 12:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, these panels in theory can output max 32A @14V with MPPT controller, but this isn't going to happen. Firstly, temperature will affect the output, and I understand summer in GA is not terribly cold. Secondly, there will be voltage drop in wires before controller (which translates into current drop after MPPT controller). Thirdly, controller efficiency is not 100%. So you will get under 30A most of the time, with occasional short lasting bursts to 30-35 A when cloud edge is passing through, and on such occasions Rogue will cut the excess off (or so it says in the manual). So Rogue looks good, for price reasons. Or Morningstar 45.

Btw, these no-name panels at $230 per 230W don't look awfully attractive to me, compared with $250 Sharp of the same wattage. The problem with unknown (= Chinese) brands is the quality control. Big brands make sure that panel outputs same or more than its nominal (but no more than few % above nominal, to avoid mismatching issues).

* This post was edited 07/22/12 12:33am by Almot *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> solar panel and controler, will this work?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS