RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: What would you pay?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> What would you pay?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
FishOnOne

Katy

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/12 10:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Assuming the truck had no major engine work or was involved in a wreck I wouldn't pay more than $17k for that truck. My dad has an 05 Duramax and it needed ball joints on the tie rods at about the miles this truck has so you may want to give this a look when inspecting the truck.

He's had no overheating issues with this truck as well.

Good Luck...

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD "Built Ford Tough"
'06 Holiday Rambler 31SKD

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/12 10:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You're much better off buying a truck from a private party and eliminate the dealer mark-up from the equation. If more folks sold their vehicles private party instead of trading them in at the dealer, the overall prices of used vehicles would be less, since the dealers would be out of the loop.

05E350 6.0PSD
97F350DRW 7.3PSD 4x4 4.10 11' flatbed
98Ranger
69Bronco ATC250R CR500
20' BigTex flatbed carhauler
Callen Camper

92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6
B&W TurnoverBall, Curt Magnum V
HD Springs Bilsteins,
285/75-16E BFG AT on 16x8 Stocktons
4.56's & LockRite rear

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/12 09:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WI Bowhunter wrote:

They did not budge...wanted 23,500. I was thinking about working with that, but what they offered for my trade was insulting. They were looking to make a killing on both ends. I am still in the hunt for a vehicle and I will not be using that dealer anymore.
Sell your truck private party. You'll get more for it than trading it in.

Look for a private party truck for sale. You'll pay less for it than for one sold by a dealer.

Win-win on both ends.

bmanning

Phoenix, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/12 10:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoCalDesertRider wrote:

WI Bowhunter wrote:

They did not budge...wanted 23,500. I was thinking about working with that, but what they offered for my trade was insulting. They were looking to make a killing on both ends. I am still in the hunt for a vehicle and I will not be using that dealer anymore.
Sell your truck private party. You'll get more for it than trading it in.

Look for a private party truck for sale. You'll pay less for it than for one sold by a dealer.

Win-win on both ends.

Great advice. I used to work at a truck dealer, and trust me, you're better off selling outright and buying private.

Is it great that, at a dealer, you can pull onto the lot on a whim and pull out a couple hours later in your new truck, no Craigslist ads, no tire kickers, no late-night internet searching for what you want, etc.? Very convenient, but that convenience costs $$$$.

BManning
baking in Phoenix
-2007 Volvo XC90 AWD V8
4.4L 311/325 V8 6sp Aisin loaded
6100lb GVW 5000lb tow
-1999 Land Cruiser
4.7L 230/320 V8 4sp A343 loaded
6860 GVW 6500lb tow
RV'less at the moment

mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/12 11:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The KBB prices quoted earlier is about the market around my neck of the woods.

The "I wouldn't pay over 15K" crowd sound great but won't ever find a truck. These things go for a premium because a new diesel truck sells for 50K.... used prices are inflated as a result. What things cost 10 years ago is irrelevant.

Somebody posted that "GM never figured out the over-heating issues" ????? What planet are you on? It was a small number of trucks and has NEVER been a problem after about 2005.

WI Bowhunter

Shiocton, WI

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/12 01:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep the Shiny Side Up!

2011 F150 Supercrew, 4X4 3.5 Ecoboost, 145" wheelbase, 3.73 gears, Max trailer Tow package

2014 Puma 30DBSS
Equali-I-Zer WD Hitch

3 kids and 1 DW

belairbrian

Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/12 02:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While I'm a big fan of private party sells. The last 2 vehicles I bought were at dealerships.

My truck (see sig) was sitting on a Chevy dealer used lot. when it was 4 years old. with 63K on it. They were actually below private at the time. Probably because it sat there for 3 months. The other thing was they gave me a written 90 day 3000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. So I had some time to find iny latent problems.And they provided the GM service history and the Carfax report. So I had some time to find iny latent problems.

Just saying IMO neither path dealer or private is bad. Just need to know the market and walk away if unreasonable.

TV 2003 Chevy 3500 Crew Cab Dually w Duramax/Allison
2005 Keystone Cougar 314 EFS
Reese 16K Slider Hitch, Prodigy BC, Delorme GPS
USAF Retired

glamisorbust

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/12 01:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, looks like the price I stated was just about right. I said somewhere in the $20-25k range, and you're saying $23,500. Look at how many people on just this thread told me I was wrong. I guess I do know what i'm talking about!

MO_Trout_Bum

Missouri

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/12 01:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glamisorbust, you and I are on the same page at least. And OP, sometimes there is some value in buying from a GOOD dealer. The dealer I bought my 2004.5 D/A from went through the truck and replaced the EGR/cooler as part of the reconditioning process. Could have cost me quite a bit, and a lot of lost time as well, if they hadn't found it. Think I actually came in closer to even on the deal.

2004 Silverado 2500HD Ext, Duramax LLY, 4WD, 3.73
2012 Keystone Cougar 327RES

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> What would you pay?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: