RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Are surge protectors really necessary?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Are surge protectors really necessary?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
nehuge

chandler, az

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/12 11:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I saw another forum on another site and the views were varied. I'm planning on running 2 desktop pc's. The pc's are plugged into a surge protector (power strip) on the inside of the rv into it's outlet. Is that enough to protect the computers or do I have to have the external one coming into the RV in the first place?

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/12 11:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

how many joules are the strips. I would look at that and I would think a good strip would be OK. That's what I use at my house.

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/12 03:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I saw another forum on another site and the views were varied. I'm planning on running 2 desktop pc's. The pc's are plugged into a surge protector (power strip) on the inside of the rv into it's outlet. Is that enough to protect the computers or do I have to have the external one coming into the RV in the first place?

I'd be thinking first what to have to protect my A/C and converter!

All I can tell you is I had all my computer equipment and TV on surge protector strips when the coach was accidentally plugged into an RV plug wired for 220 and it smoked them all.

When I had my TT with an outside portable gen, someone ran over the cord and yanked it out of the gen, shut the gen down and smoked my TV.

Both incidence there was no outside surge protector. They are called accidents, nobody ever 'plans' on having it happen. That's what the insurance of an outside or built in surge protector is for. Average cost to replace the items smoked on an RV that takes the hit of a power surge is around $2,400. Choice is yours.

Many RV'ers are still of the vain that 'it has never happened to them', so they don't think YOU need them.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

ASPENMAN

New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/12 04:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look at Progressive Industries EMS/Surge protection. Recently we had a surge of 235 volts come thru a 30 amp hookup. Our Progressive system shut off the electricity before any damage could happen. The guy beside us did not have an EMS/surge protection device and had over $3,000 in FRIED electronics in his RV!!!

Don't skimp on this - the surge protectors found in Staples and places alike are not good protection for the "dirty" electric supplies found in some RV Parks.

BLOGS:
http://rvpainter.blogspot.com
http://art4rvs.blogspot.com
31' Class C NEXUS Phantom 4/4/12
Pressure Pro TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS/Surge

WiFi Ranger Mobile
Cab over entertainment center

hallock5

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/12 05:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a link to the one Progressive offers.

2008 Jayco Eagle Superlite 28.5RLS
2002 Ford 4x4 SuperCab 7.3 (Jr International) Diesel

Sad to say, time to sell to a good home.

harley-dave

ummm, where are we again..

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/12 06:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

good morning

We swear by our surge protector. Last trip out we were getting low voltage so it disconnected our rig rather than letting the low voltage destroy something. Didn't have electric storms while we were there. Monsoon hadn't started yet !!

Dave

2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special

Joy

Henderson KY 42420

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/12 06:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are surge protectors really necessary? Not if you want to take the risk of having all of your electronics & electrical stuff fried.

See ya' down the road!

Don-SCPO USN Ret.Corpsman
Joy-Ret.Off.Mgr.
Maggie-Chihuahua
Chrissie-Chihuahua
Lucy-Jack/Rat
'06 42' Allegro Bus DP
'06 Saturn Vue

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT HOW TO SURVIVE THE STORM BUT HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN.

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/12 07:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Surge protectors come in all shapes and sizes.

A good one is useful.

A bad one is nearly useless.

Get a high quality surge protector, e.g. normally one built into a battery backup / UPS if you got serious $$$ to worry about.

mikeleblanc413

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/12 07:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ASPENMAN wrote:

Look at Progressive Industries EMS/Surge protection. Recently we had a surge of 235 volts come thru a 30 amp hookup. Our Progressive system shut off the electricity before any damage could happen. The guy beside us did not have an EMS/surge protection device and had over $3,000 in FRIED electronics in his RV!!!

Don't skimp on this - the surge protectors found in Staples and places alike are not good protection for the "dirty" electric supplies found in some RV Parks.

When I purchased Winnie in December 2011, this product was one of my MUST HAVES!!! Even before the "maiden voyage". The unit is set to cut off power when the electricity fluctuates. On our "maiden voyage" it worked flawlessly. Cut off power several times and when the power levels were restored so were was the power to Winnie. As I recall the EMS product was about $300. I hope that it continues to work as it's supposed to.

Mike LeBlanc
Retired Photographer, Art Educator
Texas

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/12 07:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For what it's worth, been RVing since the 50s in just about every KIND of RV and never have had one and never lost equipment.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Are surge protectors really necessary?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS