|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Door to Door Salesmen

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Redcatcher70

Beebe, AR

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/12 04:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not sure if the economy is getting better or worse......

In the last few weeks we have had more door to door salesmen than we have had in the last 15 years around here. They are selling everything from home security systems to the personal alert systems (you know, "I've fallen and can't get up people").

You either have to give them credit for trying to earn a living or dumb as rocks out trying to scam folks in 100 degree plus weather. I am NOT getting out and walking pavement in this heat for anything. If they are really trying to earn the bacon, my hat is off to them for trying..........

Dave & Pat
1999 Wanderer 230FB
2004 F250, XLT Crew Cab, V10, finally, enough power!
"No kids, no pets, trying to make it to retirement"

rockportrocket

on hyway 77

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/12 06:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would an air conditioner salesman be welcome?

hokeypokey

xxx

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/12 09:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you seen the movie "Door to Door"? True story and it's a heart-warmer.

belfert

Shoreview, MN, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/12 04:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have not noticed any major increase. I went for a number of years with no visits, but recently I did get a visit from a guy selling magazine subscription. He had a really slick presentation that was probably bunch of lies. He probably would have sold more if he was just up front about it and said he was selling magazine subscriptions.

My policy is not to buy anything from anyone that cold calls me on the phone or at my door. If I want to buy something I will find a merchant to buy from.

Sportsman2505qss

Winter Springs, Fl USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/12 04:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would have a hard time selling me anything. I don't answer my door unless I know the person. To much crime.

2002 KZ Sportsmen 2505qss bought in 2001 1999F-150

Gamble Rogers

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/12 04:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do miss the encyclopedia salesmen from way back.Was fun to watch them lug all that heavy stuff around.Now they could just carry a dozen CD's in their pocket.

Other half is camping with the angels,Riding alone for now.

2008 3500 Dodge Ram CTD dually 4X4 SOLD
2007 Gulfstream Endura Max 40 SOLD
2001 Polaris Ranger 4X4 SOLD
Harley Dyna Lowrider.

Mod Pics

fchammer1

FL, PA & points in between

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/12 05:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Redcatcher70 wrote:

I am NOT getting out and walking pavement in this heat for anything.

At my advanced age, I would not be either; but I do have to think back to my younger days when I picked strawberries for 25 cents per quart and then sold them door to door for 50 cents, or the summer I spent as a Fuller Brush Salesman; or working my way through college by selling hoagies in the dorms, fraternities, and sororities.

I would hope that some of my enterprising nature is still alive out there in America and that we have not become reliant on anyone or anything else for our subsistence.

And, yes, I also sold encyclopedias door to door -- while still in high school.

Jim Shoe

Amelia, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/12 07:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My township bans door to door selling without prior approval. School kids doing fund raisers are an exception. But I have a gripe. Where the heck are the Girl Scouts? They don't come around any more. I could easily fill a spare bedroom with those peanut butter cookies.

Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

msmith1199

Central, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/12 09:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would think it's a dying career field because people just don't buy things like that anymore. Like somebody already said many people don't even open their door if they don't know the person. One word of caution, if you don't open the door, you should let the person at the door know somebody is at home. Many residential burglars will knock on the door first to make sure nobody is home. If somebody answers the door they will make up some fake reason they are there and leave, but if nobody answers they go around back and break in. We have had several bad situations happen around here where burglars thought they were breaking into an unoccupied house, but their crime ended up changing to a residential robbery.

2004 National Tropi-Cal T-350, Class A, Triple slide, 330 HP Cat DP.
2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4

msmith1199

Central, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/12 09:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jim Shoe wrote:

My township bans door to door selling without prior approval. School kids doing fund raisers are an exception. But I have a gripe. Where the heck are the Girl Scouts? They don't come around any more. I could easily fill a spare bedroom with those peanut butter cookies.

I don't think they do door to door sales anymore, other than to neighbors they know. Now they set up booths outside of stores or they force their parents to take all the cookies to work and sell them to their co-workers.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Door to Door Salesmen
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS