RV.Net Open Roads Forum: CG prices putting a damper on weekend camping?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> CG prices putting a damper on weekend camping?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next
Sponsored By:
trickyvic3

Raymond NH.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/12 09:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all,
Lately we find that to weekend at a nice CG is just getting to expensive for us. Being on a fixed budget, it's getting harder for us to find CGs we can afford on our budget.

Up here in New England, the average price for FHU is running around $60.00 and up for the nicer CGs. Extra person 7-10 dollars each, pets 3-5 dollars each.

Breakdown for us.
We have my 86yr old mom and our 40yr old son who is a total quad, plus 2 small dogs. So when all is said and done, we're looking at around $80.00 per night on the low end of the scale. We didn't pay much more than that to stay at Disney World.

Its very hard to get into the state CGs up here in NH, and most do not have hook ups that we require. Getting to the point that we may have to think about giving up the RV lifestyle.

Anyone else facing these issues? I fully understand that CGs cost money to run, but it just seems to me that the cost per night lately seems to be getting out of control.

Thanks for letting me vent/rant

Vic

jjjandrbaker

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/12 09:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

$80 a night would bring my weekend getaways to a screeching halt! That's $160 before gas and food, let alone any fees for activities I might want to participate in when I get to the area.

I wish someone would invent an air conditioner that runs efficiently on propane for trailers. My need for AC is the only thing keeping me in the parks during the summer heat.

Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

trickyvic3

Raymond NH.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/12 09:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

$80 a night would bring my weekend getaways to a screeching halt! That's $160 before gas and food, let alone any fees for activities I might want to participate in when I get to the area.

Exactly!
This is not taking into account $4.75 per gallon of diesel fuel, stocking up on food and any money spent over and above while at the CG.
If you add say, $50.00 for fuel and another $50-$75 for food?

This can bring the weekend cost over $260.00 to $275.00. That's a pretty darned expensive weekend for us.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/12 09:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, those prices would make me cut back also. Fortunately around here good campground can be had for $40 or less for FHU. Even KOAs are much lower than your prices.
Just returned from Colorado. Stayed 2 1/2 weeks in a large RV park with FHU for $24.50/night. Going and coming stayed in two different RV parks for $38 and $31 FHU.

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/12 10:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Double ditto. Those prices are outrageous. Sorry to hear that NH has become so expensive. I hear tell that the property taxes up there are outrageous too.

Can you get a discount for some of your favorite cgs? Good Sam? Senior discount? AAA? AARP?

When planning our big trip to Nova Scotia, we have been researching routes and CG rates. We have already decided to take the shortest route avoiding NH because we don't want to pay their rates or their sales taxes.

Praying you can locate a discount so you can still enjoy the camping.

First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Keep on rollin'!
Magnus

trickyvic3

Raymond NH.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/12 10:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BB_TX wrote:

Yeah, those prices would make me cut back also. Fortunately around here good campground can be had for $40 or less for FHU. Even KOAs are much lower than your prices.
Just returned from Colorado. Stayed 2 1/2 weeks in a large RV park with FHU for $24.50/night. Going and coming stayed in two different RV parks for $38 and $31 FHU.

Yes now I consider those prices more along the lines of what they should be. There are a few up here in that price range, but they are far and few between, and most you would not want to stay at.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/12 10:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't stay in that kind of park but I sure understand what you mean. You might consider investing in generator so electric hookups are not required to have all of your conveniences. Your holding tanks usually are good for a weekend outing as would be your FW supply. It may take nothing more than learning to use your RV as self contained vehicle to save MUCH of that money.

Of course these things won't help if you're using rec hall, swimming pools, tennis courts or other such facilities in the RV park but it doesn't SOUND like these would be the things you'd be using much anyway.

Might also consider joining Passport America and stay at some of those same RV parks for 50%. You MIGHT find some date restrictions but maybe not too. The organization has all types of RV parks on this membership that range from close packed parking lots to spacious resort type campgrounds.

Good luck and hope you find a solution / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/12 10:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you tried state, national park, national forest campgrounds? We use those about 90% of the time. They have gone up some but still we plan on paying in the range $15 to $30 and even less with our over 62, senior pass. They range from no hook-ups at all to occasionally full hook-ups or water/elec but not sewer. Even the Fl. state parks all with at least water/elec are usually not over $30. We use public campgrounds for the nature and the price and much prefer them over private. When I have to start paying over $40 in today's dollars, I'm out of RVing. Perhaps you want the pools and other luxuries but you get that with motels/hotels for little if any more money.

Jayco-noslide

stellas_keeper

Saint Charles, IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/12 10:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This line of reason IMHO is slightly shortsided...

You can not include food. You have to eat every day no matter where you are. Food will be a wash. Unless you sit at home with your lights and tv off, even being at home will cost you money. Most (not all, but more then just many) people do not sit home for an entire weekend. You do things. These things cost money. Camping fee's IMHO even out with a weekend shoping trip, at least for my household.

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/12 10:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also, don't forget the actual cost of your RV which can add hundreds of dollars per day to those high campsite costs.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> CG prices putting a damper on weekend camping?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS