|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Beginner/Towing 5th wheel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
BLACKF150

Orange Park

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/12 03:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

You need to pick out your 5er and then choose a truck that can handle the weight. Basically a 1/2 ton can handle about the same as a 3/4 ton or about a 10,000 lb trailer. (A Tundra is rated for about the same payload capacity as an F250 CC diesel but only for towing upto 8100 lbs). A 1 ton SRW can handle up to about 15000 lb 5er and beyond 15000 you're best off with a dually. (The HD 3/4 ton, 1ton SRW and dually are all priced very similar - the most expensive is actually the SRW 1 ton with 20" rims - there is little point in buying a 3/4 ton for a tow vehicle)

I just upgraded from a 2010 F150 w/tow package......ect rated to tow 9800LBS to a 2012 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 4X4 rated to tow 14500 lbs. My old F150 stuggled to tow our 8000lbs +/- TT and the Dodge has no problems at all. So... how do you figure that a 1/2 ton truck can handle what a 3/4 ton truck can tow ??

SIR.. you neeed to do some more research.

* This post was edited 07/28/12 04:10am by BLACKF150 *

2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 315 RLSA
2012 Ram 2500 HO Diesel 4X4

challeno

South Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/12 04:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

You need to pick out your 5er and then choose a truck that can handle the weight. Basically a 1/2 ton can handle about the same as a 3/4 ton

Say what ?? Surely you jest !

2010 Copper Canyon 252FWRLS -Towed by,09 Ram 2500 HD SXT Quad Cab TRX4 Off-Road PLUS my Latest Edition > 1992 F350 Dually powered by a International 7.3 IDI,Banks Turbo

soling2003

Federal Way, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/12 11:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"You need to pick out your 5er and then choose a truck that can handle the weight. Basically a 1/2 ton can handle about the same as a 3/4 ton."

No, but a 3/4 ton can usually handle the same TOWING capacity as a 1 ton, just not the pin weight. NO half ton can tow the same as a 3/4ton. Some extras on a new half ton gives it the same or close to the payload of a loaded diesel 4x4 3/4ton rig, but not even close to the towing capacity.

Give examples to prove your theory.

DW and 2 dogs
2011 Ford F350 Dually LB 4x4 CC 6.7 diesel
2007 Grand Junction 35TMS
Peterson 37(just sold) T-37 R/C Sailboat at home

Rossey

Appomattox, Virginia. / Rockville, Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/12 07:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You're going to find different kinds of answers here from many so called "experts" who don't have a clue as to what they are talking about. (Ex. 1/2 ton truck can do what a 3/4 ton can... yea right). Take your time, check online, do some more research & then make an informed decision. Good luck.

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/12 09:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a general rule - and it's not perfect:

Like for like running gear will have the same "tow rating", regardless of the tonnage or payload capacity. Running gear being engine/transmission/gear ratio.

The tonnage or payload is only applicable to the pin weight.

Yes there are 3/4 ton trucks that sport the same running gear as a 1/2 ton (i.e. 5.4L V8/auto/3:73 gears) and the "tow capacity" is probably close, but that is where the similarity ends - you have to go to the 3/4 ton to start getting the big block or diesel engines and deeper gears required for the higher tow capacities.

I think its been that way going back into the 70s.

Hemi Power

Carp Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/12 10:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only 1/2 ton I would tow a fifth with is the new Ford F150 HD/tow package. It has a GVWR of 8200lbs and is the closest truck your going to get to a 3/4 ton. The biggest difference from 1/2 to 3/4 ton trucks is the front and rear axle weight ratings. Most 1/2 tons are in the 3700 to 4000 lbs front and rear ratings where the 3/4 tons start at 5200 and 6010lbs ratings. Also 3/4 ton rear ends are usually 8 lug, full floating axles while half tons are 5 or 6 lug, semi float. This is what really separates the two trucks. It is really easy to overload a half ton ready for camping, even using the new light weight fivers

2006 Puma 249 Fifth Wheel
2008 Dodge 1500 HEMI Mega Cab
Reese 16K Signature Series Slider Hitch

cabanaman

florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/12 11:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

challeno wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

You need to pick out your 5er and then choose a truck that can handle the weight. Basically a 1/2 ton can handle about the same as a 3/4 ton

Say what ?? Surely you jest !
DITTO!!! There is no comparison between my 3/4 ton ram cummins and any 1/2 ton you can dream up.
I mean 350 hp 650lbs TQ 8 lug free floating rear axle,4 wheel discs,exhaust break.Do I need to go on?

Retired Navy
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab 6.7 cummins,6 speed auto,exhaust brake. Emissions removed.
2007 Open Road 378SA4S-5,equa-flex and morryde X factor,wet bolt kit,michelin ltx M/S 2 tires

fivecodys

Central California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/12 02:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been towing a light weight fiver with our 1/2 ton for 4+ years now and the truck does very well.
I am a big fan of the Tundra obviously since I bought one.
Having said that, if you are truck shopping with a fiver in mind.....I would advise getting a 3/4 or 1 ton.
You are going to have a difficult time finding a fiver that has a light enough pin weight for the tundra to handle.
Cargo capacity includes persons other than the driver, your hitch weight itself (easily 150 lbs), the Pin weight of the trailer, and any junk you hall in the bed.
It doesn't take long to exceed the Trundra's cargo capacity.

The salespeople at the RV lot will tell you that you can tow way more than you should. They don't care about anything more that making the sale.
You started off right by asking the question.
Listen to the advice given here and make your decision carefully.

When I chose my next trailer, I will buy it first and then go find the right truck to pull it with....not the other way around.

Have fun shopping!

Bill

2007 Tundra DC 5.7L V8
SuperGlide 14K
Prodigy Brake Controller
2009 Flagstaff 8528RKSS Ultralight Series
Air Lift 5000

We have enough youth.......... how about a fountain of "smart"?

waterbrook

New Carlisle OH

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 12:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Best advice you're getting is to find the 5er first then the truck. We're new to this also owning our first 5er & we learned the hard way. We bought a new Cougar 324rlb then found out our F250,5.4 would not pull it. Had to go buy an F350,6.4 diesel. So listen to what these people are telling you. This site has been a great help to us. GOOD LUCK!! Welcome to the 5ers!! We love ours. No more travile trailers again.

kzspree320

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/12 02:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree you should get the fiver first then select the tow vehicle. Anyone that says there is little difference between 150/1500 half tons and 250/2500 three quarter tons does not really know what he is talking about. The only real difference between most 2500 and 3500 SRW trucks is one extra spring. They have roughly the same rear axle weight ratings. They are built on the same frames. Add airbags and they are basically the same. BUT - this still does not change the GVWR of the 2500. On a 2500, the sum of the axle weight ratings is far greater than the GVWR. The critical issue to me is to stay well under both axle weight ratings.

Find your fiver then select the right TV. If you think you might want to upgrade, the dually gives you that ability to a point, but even they have limitations for a few of the truly huge fivers. Good luck.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Beginner/Towing 5th wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS