RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Help with a leak please.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Help with a leak please.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
libom

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 05:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok so we have another leak. We have a Coleman CTS265BH that we bought new in 2010. We have had a laundry list of probs with it. We have only been on 1 trip out of about 25 that I didnt have to work on something. I keep telling myself once I get it all fixed this TT will be good to go and ill never have to fix anything again. Still waiting on that time. haha Anyhow I seem to have a leak underneath the bathroom somewhere. I crawled up under it this weekend and was going to try to find it and fix it. Im assuming its on the bottom side because we dont see water in the bathroom floor like when it was leaking under the tub. I dont know where to begin to take everything apart underneath. Do I have to drop the tanks ? Can I work around them ? If I just start cutting the material down how do I put it back ? What am I going to run into when I pull it down ? In general I just need to know what to do and expect.
Also another problem that started on the last trip is the water heater would not work on the electrical side. It works fine flipped to gas just not electrical. I checked around the electrical and it seemed everything was in order.

Thanks in advance and sorry for being so long !

LynnandCarol

Rockport, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/12 06:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only way to avoid working on a TT is to sell it! You will find that there is always something that needs fixing, improved, some maintenance, etc.! I now have a list of 10 things on my "TT To-Do List"! It is a good thing I retired as I don't know where I would find the time otherwise! Stay positive and good luck on your repairs

libom

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 07:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Na dont want to sell it. We have always had older used stuff and the repairs were minimal. We thought for sure getting a new one that we would be in hog heaven for a while. WRONG ! Maintenance aint that big of a deal and upgrades are fun. Just something new to tackle here though. Hope to get it worked out by the weekend since we are going out. We will see ! Thanks for the encouragement !

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 07:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How are you identifing the leak?
One problem area that isn't under the rig but leaks, is the water valve on the toilet. Depending on make and model of course. I have had to replace my water valve a couple times on my foot operated Thetford Galaxy. Thetford hasn't corrected on other models. You can reach around the toilet and maybe able to feel or see moisture on your fingers.
Yes, if you pull down the cover, you should replace it or seal it back up. Some of the covering is screwed on around areas that may need work.
All RVs need attention. They canbe a money pit if you let small items get larger. Once you get small items corrected it changes to preventive maintenance. Sometimes it is a real learning experience.

Bud
USAF Retired
Suzuki XL7 pushing Pace Arrow

TMGS11

SW OF ATLANTA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/12 08:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

libom wrote:

Ok so we have another leak. We have a Coleman CTS265BH that we bought new in 2010. We have had a laundry list of probs with it. We have only been on 1 trip out of about 25 that I didnt have to work on something. I keep telling myself once I get it all fixed this TT will be good to go and ill never have to fix anything again. Still waiting on that time. haha Anyhow I seem to have a leak underneath the bathroom somewhere. I crawled up under it this weekend and was going to try to find it and fix it. Im assuming its on the bottom side because we dont see water in the bathroom floor like when it was leaking under the tub. I dont know where to begin to take everything apart underneath. Do I have to drop the tanks ? Can I work around them ? If I just start cutting the material down how do I put it back ? What am I going to run into when I pull it down ? In general I just need to know what to do and expect.
Also another problem that started on the last trip is the water heater would not work on the electrical side. It works fine flipped to gas just not electrical. I checked around the electrical and it seemed everything was in order.

Could you give more details. Like where do you see water dripping from, what are your indication of the leak?

Do you have a bottom enclosed with the corregated plastic material? since your Lav is in the rear you could remove the just the section under the lav bathroom and look around for evidence of your leak. Our under covering is screwed on in 5 seperate pieces from aft - fwd.

03 2500 Ram 4x4
11 Trailmaster 321TBS

libom

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 08:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TMGS11 wrote:

libom wrote:

Could you give more details. Like where do you see water dripping from, what are your indication of the leak?

Do you have a bottom enclosed with the corregated plastic material? since your Lav is in the rear you could remove the just the section under the lav bathroom and look around for evidence of your leak. Our under covering is screwed on in 5 seperate pieces from aft - fwd.

O yea I forgot to mention that. It is under the bathroom. Cant really tell exactly where. it seems like there is some kind of insulation in there that is getting saturated and then leaks all over in that back corner. Its not the corugated plastic underneath. It is a woven fabric similar to house wrap. I wish it was the corrugated like my last one. The tanks are there also so thats why I was trying to figure out what to do. I dont want to have to take out the tanks if I dont have to.

westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 08:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you confirmed that the source is not from the same previous problem, the tub? It may help to try to duplicate the leak, i.e. using one of the fixtures in your bathroom at a time and eliminating them one by one.
It would be nice to know the magnitude of the leak, possible odor, or any more information that you think relevant.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

TMGS11

SW OF ATLANTA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/12 09:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

libom wrote:

TMGS11 wrote:

libom wrote:

O yea I forgot to mention that. It is under the bathroom. Cant really tell exactly where. it seems like there is some kind of insulation in there that is getting saturated and then leaks all over in that back corner. Its not the corugated plastic underneath. It is a woven fabric similar to house wrap. I wish it was the corrugated like my last one. The tanks are there also so thats why I was trying to figure out what to do. I dont want to have to take out the tanks if I dont have to.

Just a thought since you said it is a new leak. If you were running your AC this past trip, did you notice if your condensation was running off that corner downspout? Or either aft downspout. Could your condensation have run down the side and gotten to your underbelly fabric, saturated and dripped from there. You can get a lot of water from AC condensation.

ShadySkins

Douglassville, PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 09:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a leak under my unit a few months ago. In fact, when I pulled out to leave for a trip a bunch of water started coming out from the underbelly. My dealer is awesome and had me stop in on the way to camping. After an hour and a half of pressure testing and looking for leaks, they found nothing.

The strange thing is that there was white residue where the water was. That was good news to me! I had de-winterized the night before and I filled, flushed and emptied the fresh water system at least 4 or 5 times. We determined that when I was removing the anode rod from the hot water heater (which is on the rear of the rig) that the water was gushing down the sides and working its way into the underbelly. The dealer installed a metal strip the width of the underbelly to tighten things up and covered it all under warranty.

Have you flushed your HW heater lately? Also, to your question about the HW heater only working on gas. Did you run the hot water heater without water in it at any point? That will burn out the heating element.

2011 KZ 321BHS
Pulled by a 2007 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 5.7
Connected with a Reese Dual Cam
Stopped by a Tekonsha P3

libom

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 09:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westend wrote:

Have you confirmed that the source is not from the same previous problem, the tub? It may help to try to duplicate the leak, i.e. using one of the fixtures in your bathroom at a time and eliminating them one by one.
It would be nice to know the magnitude of the leak, possible odor, or any more information that you think relevant.

Yes I have checked that. It was a leak under the tub and this one is under the floor.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Help with a leak please.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS