RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Interesting Electrical Issue with light/fan

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Interesting Electrical Issue with light/fan

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Imotay

Pittsburgh, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/12 01:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everything was working. Left the campground for the week. Came back on the weekend. RV never moved (1997 24' Class C Georgie Boy Maverick). I now have a light out and fan less than a foot away not working. I figured it was a fuse. Found the 12v fuse box and all of the fuses were good. Found the fuse the light (and assuming fan) should be on (the light and fan are in the center, the lights in the center before and after the non-working light are affected by this fuse. I put a new fuse in anyway and replaced the rest of them just to be safe. Light/fan still will not come on. I checked the bulbs (replaced the bulbs) and nothing. I also checked the light with my 12 volt detector. There does not appear to be any power getting to the light. Any other suggestions or possibilities that would cause this. Seems odd that only these two devices are effected. Thanks in advance

Artum Snowbird

Campbell River, B.C., Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 02:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know in some of my rigs I have had a switch on the wall that controls a light on the ceiling assuming the light on the ceiling is in the on position. Is there a switch somewhere on the wall that seems to do nothing? Try putting the on/off switches at the light in the other position, then try the wall switch.

Other than that, I am assuming you are talking about a ceiling fan built into an opening in the ceiling. You may have to remove the light and then try to see if the fixture has 12 volts to a different negative, a long wire to the main negative 12 on the panel. If you have 12 volts there, but the device doesn't work unless you connect the long wire to negative you could have a loose neutral. It's a process of elimination but not too difficult if you take slow and careful steps. PM me if you need more help.

Mike and Carole
2007 Snowbird 9'6" Super Slide
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2000 F350 7.3 SC 4X4
previously 8'10" Snowbird Camper
2006 Triple E Regency 27 foot SXL SOLD!

Imotay

Pittsburgh, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/12 02:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks man

You were correct. There is a switch that was switched off. I completely forgot about that since I have not touched it in 3 years. Thanks for the tip

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Interesting Electrical Issue with light/fan
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS