|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Bad 36 hrs for Charmin

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
dturm

Munster, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/12 02:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We decided to go camping last weekend. Things were going great until Sat nite about 3:00 am we were awakened by thrashing clunking sounds. We thought one of the dogs was caught under the bed, but it turns out Charmin's world was spinning.

He had acute onset of old dog Vestibular disease.. Diagnosing this was pretty easy and we knew given enough time, he should recover.

Charmin is very stubborn, and trying to get a dog to go down the camper steps when he's walking like a drunken sailor was not fun. Carrying him wouldn't work, he's 85# and I'm not that young anymore.

Well, we alternated sleeping on the floor with him and things were stable, then he developed vomiting and diarrhea. It progressed through Sunday and developed into HGE (Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis). We went through Sunday trying to manage the vomiting and bloody diarrhea with an 85# dog that couldn't walk and resisted guidance and didn't want to go outside.

We survived and he's just about as good as any dog I've seen 36 hours after a vestibular episode. He's learned to walk, is no longer scared of steps and the vomiting/diarrhea has stopped. Our carpeting took a beating, but that's what a carpet shampoo machinge is for, and carpet is now clean.

I thought I'd share a smart idea I got (after the fact ), I'm going to get a thick poly drop cloth that I can deploy when something like this happens again. It will save the carpet and make it so-o-o much easier to manage something like this in the future. I'm going to make it a must for our dog kit.

Doug

Doug & Sandy
Jill (12yr old Golden)
Henry our camping cat
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 02:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went through that at home; it would be really rough while on the road. Give him a nice scratch behind the ears from me.
Mark

Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Gyp (retired), Peg, Bette, BJ, Nell, Tally, Eve, Grant, & Lee
Sam the Maremma Sheepdog (at home guarding our flock)
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

dturm

Munster, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/12 02:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We though about going home (only an hour away)but thought fewer steps and smaller area in the RV would be easier. Don't know that that would be easy anywhere.

Pawz4me

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 02:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, that will be a weekend to remember.

I'm glad he's feeling so much better already!

Me and the DH
Two boys and two dogs (and two cats who prefer to stay home)
2008 Forest River Georgetown 350DS (bunkhouse model)
2001 Honda CR-V

Go Dogs

South of Pittsburgh, PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 03:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank God you managed all that. Our great dane had HGE while he was home alone. I was met at the door by a very weak dog and a horrendous odor in the house. He survived with IVF and meds. They guessed he got it from eating deer droppings!

raindove

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/12 03:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dturm wrote:

We decided to go camping last weekend.

I thought I'd share a smart idea I got (after the fact ), I'm going to get a thick poly drop cloth that I can deploy when something like this happens again. It will save the carpet and make it so-o-o much easier to manage something like this in the future. I'm going to make it a must for our dog kit.

Doug

I always carry a small, new tarp, a package of those puppy piddle pads, a first aid kit for the dogs,...... geeze.... I forgot.....
I carry more stuff for the dogs than I do for us. LOL I try to restrain myself, but every time I do, I need something I don't have.

Those vestibular incidents are nasty. I'm glad Charmin is doing better. It's tough watching them age.

Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder

CatandJim

Tulsa, as in Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 04:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Poor Charmin! Poor Doug & Sandy! Even with your expertise that was no doubt very troubling and messy. I'm glad he is on the mend.

Good idea about the drop cloth. We'll be picking one up next trip to the home improvement store.

Cat
(Jim just reads the forum once in a while)

Our toys:
2003 Damon Ultrasport 3873
(picture on profile)
Boat = ProCraft Fish & Ski

Working our way toward retirement...wishing it was soon.

dturm

Munster, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/12 04:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go Dogs wrote:

Thank God you managed all that. Our great dane had HGE while he was home alone. I was met at the door by a very weak dog and a horrendous odor in the house. He survived with IVF and meds. They guessed he got it from eating deer droppings!

I think stress was the initiating cause here. We don't always know what causes this and we've had about 6 cases at work over the past few weeks. BTW, I don't ever recommend that people try to treat this at home. It is an emergency and almost always requires IVs, but the good news is that it is almost never fatal if caught in time. If we had not gotten Charmin's vomiting and diarrhea stopped after two bouts of each and his vitals maintaining, he was going to the hospital.

Doug

xteacher

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 05:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So sorry to hear that Charmin went through this! That's how we finally lost Chipper, our 14.5 year old lab awhile back. He never showed improvement. So glad Charmin is doing better!

Beth and Joe
3 Grown, Non-camping children
1 Future Camper - Granddaughter Alice (born 6/25/14 )
2 Camping Rescue Pups: Maddie (malti-poo/westie?) and Sunny (toy poodle)

2014 Starcraft AR-ONE 14RB
2010 Nissan Pathfinder

RBak

Crest Hill, IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 06:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Happy tp learn Charmin is better and feeling good again. Once had that experience with another sheltie mix in our home, and ended up carrying him down 7 steps to potty. Glad it's only a temporary situation.

Rita and her furry gang

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Bad 36 hrs for Charmin
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS