RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Wilson Electronics booster POJ or not??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Wilson Electronics booster POJ or not??

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Texas Two Steppers

Beaumont, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/12 09:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About a year ago I bought the Wilson Electronics equipment recommended for rvs and installed it according to their instructions. It consists of the outside trucker's antenna, amplifier, inside transmitting antenna, and assorted wiring and fittings. My phone and internet are both Verizon. I have tried to use the booster twice, both in extended network areas, and can't tell that it is doing any good. Both green lights are on on the amplifier at the maximum gain and it does boost the signal according to the cell phone's power scale. The power scale on the cell phone might be at the max, but I still can't make or receive calls or get on the internet. I know this equipment must work or people wouldn't buy it. Can anyone give me a tip as to what might be going on?

2013 Duramax 3500 dually 4x4
2013 Excel Winslow 31RSE
TST tire monitor
Magnum MS 2012 inverter/charger
3-135w solar panels
Tristar controller
Trimetric monitor
4-6v Trojan t105 batteries
B & W companion 3000 hitch

sdianel

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/12 09:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wilson Electronics has great customer service. You could ask them.

I have used mine successfully for phone calls. Haven't had to try it for my Mi-Fi hotspot yet.

Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

wcjeep

Tacoma, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/12 10:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are other factors at play too. Is roaming enabled ? Data roaming ? Does Verizon have an agreement with the local cell company ? Have you called Verizon or checked FCC website to see who owns the nearest cell tower? If no roaming agreement you can only call 911. There's an area near me where I connect to tower but no phone or data.

Not sure which booster you have. On average the 2watt Sleek is good for 18dba improvement.

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 01:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Using the Wilson in some areas will improve your phone reception but not your data reception, especially with Verizon. I've used the Wilson, usually along the NorthWest coastal regions where the signal is weak. It will boost the phone but not the data. You might get five bars signal but still have edge as data. AT&T isn't much better. I have Verizon and DW has AT&T so we've compared the two while traveling as well as using the Wilson......Dennis

MY SENSE OF HUMOR IS THE MAIN REASON I'LL MOST LIKELY GO TO HELL !
Dennis and Debi Fifth Year Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

byways

anywhere

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 06:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would definitely give Wilson a call. My son works in customer service at their headquarters in St. George and he is always talking about how much he loves helping customers get the performance they need/deserve. There are a lot of factors that can affect signal performance, especially with the different Mhz operation of companies/towers. They will walk you through that to get the best performance. You have nothing to lose by calling them. Mark.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 07:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My coach used to be my office, and by necessity, I had to be places with bad coverage. I put in a Wilson system and have never been out of coverage since - Even though it might look like I was trying sometimes.

Yes, call Wilson. You have something wrong. Years ago, the last cell tower was in Amarillo and we had usable internet well into New Mexico.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dog going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 08:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gsm, 'Edge' and HsPa is AT&T

1x, and 'EvDo' and LTE is Vzw

1x and edge are second generation aka 2g

evdo and hspa are third generation technology aka 3g

LTE is 4g

att 4g is an improved hspa

IIRC the frequency band for each generation is the same , it is only the utilization 'technology' that is different between the carriers

* This post was edited 08/05/12 08:50am by MrWizard *

Options, always have options, and the journey goes much smoother

Connected thru Verizon with HotSpot WiFi using a Samsung Galaxy Nexus

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 09:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrWizard wrote:

gsm, 'Edge' and HsPa is AT&T

1x, and 'EvDo' and LTE is Vzw

1x and edge are second generation aka 2g

evdo and hspa are third generation technology aka 3g

LTE is 4g

att 4g is an improved hspa

IIRC the frequency band for each generation is the same , it is only the utilization 'technology' that is different between the carriers

at least with Verizon, and I believe ATT as well, 4G data is NOT the same frequency band as 3G. So far Wilson has announced one product that will amplify 4G signals, it takes a different amp for ATT than Verizon.

for 3G and below ATT (GSM) and Verizon (CDMA) one amp will work for both.

ATT is slowly migrating there existing 4G to LTE.

As others have mentioned, give Wilson a call. I've found my wilson amps to work very well.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison

aslakson

Fulltiming in the Lower 48

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 09:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually, the Verizon 4G service (maybe others) is in a different frequency band than their other stuff - which is why Wilson and the others are scrambling to get compatible amps and antennas designed, approved and built. For now, there are very few options for improving 4G signal. Complicating the process is that most 4G devices will switch to 3G when there's no 4G signal, so 4G amps and antennas have to be able to also cover the 3G bands.

al

Fulltiming since Apr 2007 in 2000 Rexhall Aerbus, towing 2012 Honda CRV. 46 of the lower 48 so far.

WayneLee

Out West Somewhere

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/12 09:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had great experiences using Wilson amplifiers over many years. One thing to be aware of... In the case of Verizon, their cell phones, 1x data and 3g data use two frequencies, 800 and 1900 Mhz. But, their 4G service uses a different frequency, 700 Mhz. Wilson is working on a tri-band amplifier to handle these frequencies. I am not sure what AT&T uses for their 4G service.

Wayne Lee
Out West Somewhere

2007 36' Class A HR Endeavor DP | 2006 Hummer H3 Dinghy | Millenicom 4G MiFi

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Wilson Electronics booster POJ or not??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS