RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Can't decide TT or 5th Wheel - pros & cons?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Can't decide TT or 5th Wheel - pros & cons?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
CKNSLS

Northern Utah

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ls1mike wrote:

I have not had any problem getting my 32 footer in to any spot yet. You would be suprised. Even at the older sites here in Wa. Just take your time. I have a Long bed crew cab plus a 35 foot overall trailer. I have managed to get it into a couple of the Forest service sites out here, way down the dirt road in the Olympics.

"Just take your time".

So I am assuming that means it's a pain.

Am I right or wrong here?

TxTiger

North Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 09:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

travelwithdogs wrote:

The TT we like is actually heavier than the 5th we are looking at. DH is a bit worried about the weight of the TT in the Colorado Rockies. I think our truck will be fine (03 F350 V10 4x4) - GVWR on the TT is 10,970, but he would rather go with something a bit lighter.

With 12% to 15% of total weight typically being tongue weight, that a lot of tongue weight. I have a 2000 F250 (diesel) and my max hitch weight with WDH is, I think, 10,000 lbs. I tow an 8,000 lb GVW toy hauler (KZ 27TH) and feel the weight of the trailer slowing me signifanctly when I'm climbing in the mountains. My dry tongue weight is somewhere around 650 lbs, and loaded with toys (they are more toward the back) keeps my tongue weight within limits. Your truck being a gasser with be more affected by the altitude, and you will definitely feel that weight, so going lighter may not be a bad idea given where you will be towing, and the tongue weight.

I considered getting a larger toy hauler, a 5th wheel in the 32' to 35' range, but the dry weights are all around 11,000 lbs, and GVW's of 14,000 to 16,000 lbs, and the pin weights are around 2,200 to 2,400 lbs, all too heavy as it puts me at or over my total limits, and I just don't want to tow that much weight given where I go (not all interstate).

Now everything tows really well and I'm not intimidated by the trailer's weight. For me, this is a primary reason I went with a TT toy hauler. Good luck with your decision.

2000 F250, 7.3 PSD, 6 speed manual, CC, SB
KZ 27TH Toy Hauler, 5,700 lb dry weight/8,000 lb GVW.

nano

Upper Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 02:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If we had a 3/4 or 1 ton truck, we would get a 5th wheel. I am happy with our TT for now, though. Once we plan on doing more long distance traveling (and have the money) we will be getting a new truck and a 5W. We want the 5W mainly for the better towing, and we also found a layout that we love that isn't available in a TT.

2013 Keystone Cougar 333MKS

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 04:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Golly, I never grease my hitch. I live on a gravel road and the grease would just pickup up dirt that would act like a abrasive anyway. And, my 20 foot TT doesn't require weight distribution hitch but, if I had a bigger trailer I would definitely want one.

boosTT

Milwaukee

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 04:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a TT, because it was a good price and my current truck can tow it. I do prefer 5th wheels though... First It comes down to what kind of truck you plan to get or have.

ls1mike

Bremerton

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/12 04:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CKNSLS wrote:

ls1mike wrote:

I have not had any problem getting my 32 footer in to any spot yet. You would be suprised. Even at the older sites here in Wa. Just take your time. I have a Long bed crew cab plus a 35 foot overall trailer. I have managed to get it into a couple of the Forest service sites out here, way down the dirt road in the Olympics.

"Just take your time".

So I am assuming that means it's a pain.

Am I right or wrong here?

Not a pain the last spot I stayed in was small, trailer slides right in. Easier to back the further the wheels are back from the pivot point. The 5th wheel I had the wheels were closer and it was always a bigger pain to park. Now if you want to talk about the where you can camnp that is different. Getting it in and of the spot? Not an issue

Mike
2002 Silverado 2500 HD 6.0 Crew Cab long bed
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.

Go Dogs

South of Pittsburgh, PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 04:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ideally, it would be nice to have one of each type of RVs! Here's a story that may not have occurred to you. I worked at a major city hospital. A gentleman with a big fiver was at a county fair and had to be hospitalized. His wife drove to our hospital and got that big dually stuck in our parking garage. Can you imagine being in a strange town with your loved one in the hospital, and something like this happens?
I know it's unlikely, but your co-pilot better be able to drive whatever you choose, just in case.

Ray55

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 05:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can find more trucks set up to pull a TT. I have borrowed and used neighbors trucks and SUVs, I often use my farm tractor to move my TT a short distance at home.

When my truck had a problem and had to be towed the tow company put the truck on there flat bed tow truck and hitched up the TT to get us off the side of the road in less than 10 minutes of thier arrival. With a 5th wheel they would have had to try and find another truck set up to tow a 5th wheel.

With an electric jack I do not find it any harder to hook up to the TT than a 5th Wheel. I have two car antennas rigged with magnets on the bottoms and tenniss balls on top they make getting the ball and hitch lined up pretty easy.

I do like how on a 5th wheel you can put a mirror on the 5th to see better while hooking up.

US Army Retired X 2 (Both wife and I)
2012 North Trail TT 30QOK
2005 Dodge deisel 2500 HD, shortbed, 6 speed manual, Equalizer Hitch, Warn Winch, highlift jack, Honda Gen Set, Winona Canoe

djgarcia

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/12 08:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With an electric jack I do not find it any harder to hook up to the TT than a 5th Wheel. I have two car antennas rigged with magnets on the bottoms and tenniss balls on top they make getting the ball and hitch lined up pretty easy.

I do like how on a 5th wheel you can put a mirror on the 5th to see better while hooking up.

Alternative to mirrior, on the front of the 5h wheel hitch (the part closet to the cab of the truck) using a tap measure, find the center point, paint/spray a 1" wide vertical line. Now when you go to back up the truck to the 5th. wheel, all you have to do when backing the truck up is visually line up the white line with the 5th wheel hitch pin and you can't miss. I also painted the arm that closes around the 5th. wheel hitch white thus making it much easier to visually check that your hitch is hooked up correctly. In addition you always make sure the pin will drop into the hole by the 5th. wheel handle.

Dick
djgarcia1939@gmail.com

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Can't decide TT or 5th Wheel - pros & cons?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS