RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Husband died; four no SIX YEARS since camping OR posting!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> Husband died; four no SIX YEARS since camping OR posting!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
katysdad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 09:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you keep your camper at home you could possibly find someone to come over and walk you through some things then do a weekend campout in the back yard until you feel comfortable for a weekend outing.

Dodge Ram 3500 DRW Diesel

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/12 11:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very sorry to read about your loss, I commend you for getting back into camping though. If you bought it locally, you might give your dealer a call, explain your situation and see if they would be willing to help you out. If you can pick a slow day they might be more willing. It might cost a bit but if they do a good job it would be worth it. While you're there you can get a new battery too.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited

dadmomh

Jackson, TN

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/12 02:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So sorry for your loss. But time for a step forward for your boys. Have you done the driving/towing yet?? I learned in 1 giant step on our last trip when DH was sick. Some simple, basic information will get you started. Good Sam Club is an excellent start for help. Also if your dealer is nearby, make a stop and see if they have someone who would come and teach you what you need to get going. Agree that you need to get your Jayco checked out and for sure new tires - even if they look good, they've been sitting for a long time and trailer tires don't hold up like car tires. Be safe. Suggest you do Camp Driveway a night or two. Then find a CG close to home. There is one member on this forum with a very similar situation and maybe she'll step up - it's been a while since she's posted, but she's taken on all the camping jobs and done a great job. Also has twins. Lives in IN. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask all the questions you have. Keep us posted.

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604
2003 Ford F-150 with Blue Ox 1000
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Foxy is our new camping buddy.
Our rescued sisters, Biscuit and Lily, are now 9 mo old!
Support responsibility....Spay/Neuter!

chuggs

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/12 11:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can find videos of most stuff on You Tube...

IF you can't find it there...just post to this thread again...maybe one of us can go video something for you to explain a system that hasn't been covered altready on You Tube...

IF you can hitch correctly, make the umbilical connection, understand the basics of the trailer brakes. Make sure the antenna is down. Hook up the towing mirrors, and go camping. WHen you get there...just ask someone to help you park, and setup.

I had my truck parked in a position that worried a young couple with their trailer as they were about to pull out. The man asked "HOW would you approac pulling out of this site? I told him... then he asked, "Would you mind doing it for me?" --- SO, I did a quick walk around to make sure things were safe for towing,,,jumped in his Suburban, his two youngsters strapped into their car seats, a pulled out of the site for him. I don't think I'm the only old BOY SCOUT out there. Most any of us will drop whatever we're doing to help somebody else out. It's that "Do a good deed daily" mantra that we learned

Sorry for your loss... And good for you to get out there and live a good life with your young children! We're pulling for you!

chuggs

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/12 11:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh...and pick a campsite with Internet connection. I can be a handy thing to be able to come back here for timely questions that arise. Once you get the hang of it...venture out!

Thsldo

Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/12 01:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we purchased our first camper last year, most of my knowledge has come from this site, and at the campgrounds we visit. as long as you fell comfortable to tow the camper, their will be plenty of people at the campgrounds to offer to help out. My kids are the exact same age, Twins also, they each have a small part to help up. They look forward to doing it. like others have posted, bring it to dealer, let them go through it, and you'll have a camper that is safe for many years to come.

Tom & Steph and 4 munchkins
2001 Coachmen Cadet Hybrid
2011 Dodge Durango 5.7

mwebber78

New England

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/12 06:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live in southern Maine, and if your interested would be glad to assist. Please send me a private message and I'll send my contact information. I have a young family as you do and can't imagine, but I applaud your tenacity. Please feel free to contact me.

Michael.

2013 Jayco Eagle 334RBTS
Disclaimer for the daft: Don't confuse my opinion with facts.

sayby1campers

Rock Hill,SC

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 05:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Way to step up Michael!! Nice to there r guys like you out there still!!

DW, DD(10y/o) and CoCo our Sharpei(wrinkle dog)

cconstancemarie

Las Vegas NV

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/12 07:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have camped with my hybrid for the past 7 years alone as I have never been married. It is scary at first but it is easy soon enought. I make sure I take my camper over to the tire dealership every spring before I take it out to make sure the tires are good. I've never had to winterized as I live in southern Nevada so I can't help you with that. Lowering the awning and putting it back up isn't hard there is a long rod with a hook on it that hooks into the ribbon to pull it down it is also useful to use putting it back up. As for the battery if you have a trusted local mechanic you can take it to them to Change they can also probably repack your bearings on your tires and more than likely be cheaper than the camper store that's what I found here where I live. Emptying the grey and black water is easy the hose just twists on and off. Then you just pull the handle they one for black and one for grey . Since the campgrounds I go to have bathrooms I just use them so I don't have to mess with the black tank but when I do I empty black first then the grey to flush out the hose. The best words I can say is don't panic it's not hard just take it slow and it will be fine and you and the kids will have a great time.

chuggs

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/12 05:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now that's the Scouting spirit!

Way to go Michael! Good on you brother!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> Husband died; four no SIX YEARS since camping OR posting!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS