|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Settle an arguement

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/12 09:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So what makes you believe you can't cool a hot object, say a piece of rock or metal, by blowing cool air over it? Water isn't part of that equation either.

Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/12 09:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cant speak to the technical aspect of this question but I know my girls love sitting in my lap with the fan blowing through their hair...I dont mind it so much either.

96 Vogue Prima Vista 37' CAT 3176B
Our Babies: Mollie, Cassie and Maggie, all rescued King Charles Spaniels, Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie, Scoutie, Katie, Cooper, Kodie and our sweet Rubie RIP kids!

Rally's and get togethers.....Lots

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 09:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have noted that my wife's cat is cooled by a fan if the cat is first dipped in water. I'm pretty sure it would work on the wife too, but I don't have the guts to try it,

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2010 F450

JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/12 09:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dturm wrote:

Sorry, I'm with your wife, and the vet needs to rethink his answer.

A car radiator cools without sweating and evaporation, the fan kicks on and it works better. Ever see your dogs ears when they are hot? Blood vessels all over the body dilate - enlarge with increased body temp and act like a radiator. Moving air (as long as the air temp is lower than the body temp) should cool quicker. Hairless areas and thin hair areas and areas with greater blood supply will cool more quickly than the dense hair covered areas.

Sweating that people do certainly cool more quickly and efficiently than dogs and the cooler the ambient temp the faster the cooling.

Interesting problem

Doug, DVM

A dog or cat feels the heat the same way we do - if it is very hot to us, it is very hot to them. The way we both dissipate heat is different, but the common denominator is that we both feel the heat. If the fan used is not enough to cool the unit down amiable to he and his wife, it is going to be to hot for the dog. Period. Will it kill the dog? Proably not. But will the dog be comfortable? MOst likely not. And I assume as pet lovers they don't want the dog panting like crazy to stay cool and feeling very hot the entire time they are away.

I have been in many TTs when the ac was on the blink and a fan was blowing, and it was miserable. Nothing but hot air was coming out. A misting fan would work but if it is in a very high humid area they usually don't do well.

Bottom line, it depends on the temperature in the unit to start with. If it is pushing 90 degrees a fan isn't going to make a dog or a human feel very cool.

louiskathy

Oregon (presently)

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 10:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Of course it makes a difference. When we had a dog (for 14 years)and traveled in the MH, she always rode in her bed at my feet. If the sun streamed into the window and she felt warm, she'd put her front paws on my lap. I'd turn on her personal fan that was aimed solely at her bed... and she would immediately lay back down in her bed and go back to sleep. The dash a/c would cool me down but was not aimed at her bed. Her personal fan circulated the dash a/c down to her level. So she knew when she wanted that fan on and knew how to communicate that she wanted that fan on.

Kathy

Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/12 10:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Im sorry, I must have missed the part about a HOT RV.....I thought the OP was asking a generalized question about the cooling/non cooling effect of a fan? I would not depend on a fan only on a warm/hot day in an RV!

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 10:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They may not sweat like we do but their 'body' temperature goes up in the heat the same manner as our does. When their body temperature goes up they pant.

A fan WILL keep their body temperature down on a hot day, eliminating their need to pant.
You lose.

"Live life like it's your last day.
One day you will be right."

JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/12 10:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Acampingwewillgo wrote:

Im sorry, I must have missed the part about a HOT RV.....I thought the OP was asking a generalized question about the cooling/non cooling effect of a fan? I would not depend on a fan only on a warm/hot day in an RV!

I must have missed something too. I thought he is asking about cooling a dog in an RV with a fan only, and not with the AC on as well. LIke an either/or thing.

Code2High

One hour past Nowhere, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 11:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the air temp is cooler than the dog's temperature, then heat will be transferred to the air from the dog, period. Heat is energy, and energy will be transferred to other substances in the dog's space until it has evened out in the space, if it's a closed system. Moisture loss (heat loss through evaporation) is more efficient, but the loss of heat energy will occur in either case. Moving air across the surface will make the process more efficient, though not as efficient as if the dog is wet. Air absorbs energy, and the more air that comes in contact with the hot dog, the more that air will be picking up heat.

Don't take my word for it. Get an infrared thermometer and measure a hot object at the end of a sunny day, then come back in the morning. It will be cooler. If it's windy, it will get cooler faster, because it will be exposed to more cool air.

Fans also circulate air, which moves the air that the dog's body and lungs have heated away from the dog, leaving the dog in a cooler space. The dog then breaths cooler air, and the cooler air picks up more heat from the dog's lungs, coolng the dog better.

Adding water can certainly make the process more efficient. If your dog will tolerate a spray bottle, that's a really nice way.... put it on a fine spray and spray into the air flow. I do this to myself all the time in the summer,in fact I think I'll go do it right now. If not, then wiping the dog down with a damp rag will moisten the dog and allow the water to pull heat off as it evaporates. Pay particular attention to areas where the coat is thinner such as the throat, ears, and belly.

You can also buy gel filled systems that you freeze and put on the fan to cool the air, or you can get a mini swamp cooler if you're in a dry area. Even putting a tray of ice cubes in front of the fan will create cooler air.

susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/12 04:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

look up "convective heat transfer"

Try living in a house that does not have AC and a you'll understand how convective cooling helps. Remember ceiling fans???

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Settle an arguement
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS