|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Tool Box in front of 8' bed

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
dgram

Butler, Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 06:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a regular tool box in mine. It does not sit loww and is 6 inches above the rails. I have never had an issue with it even close to 5'er. I also have a heartland that has the 88 degree turn radius. But even without that I still never came close to the camper. I never had to jack it around that far cause I will pull up before I put all that pressure on the axels.

ChopperBill

Colo

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 08:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Kobalt from Lowes. Only sticks up an inch or so above the rails and is only 12" side so it doesn't take up valuable bed space but has enough room for all my incidentals. Kobalt Box

"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

fred42

Charlotte, NC, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 11:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

fred42 wrote:

I had a box in the front, but had to make room for my HCCR Steps. I went with a rear toolbox from here. Although it is a bit awkward to use when hooked up, I enjoy having the tailgate as a working surface when unhooked.

If you use a rear one, you can't just be below the rails, you have to account for the drop and swing of your pinbox. In my case I had to go with a 16" high instead of the 19" high.

The Idea behind this type of tool box is you don't need a tailgate.

It would be much easier to use if you removed your tail gate.

At first, I thought the same thing and was sorry I had already bought the tailgate. But as it turns out, I cannot organize all my tools into those little tunnels and reach in and get just what I want. Many things are just lying in there, but I also have a couple of small toolboxes that I pull out and sit on the tailgate to look for what I want. I also use the tailgate surface as a working area. The V cut out of the gate allows you to move your body close enough to the toolbox to not get a backache.

joe b.

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 03:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too use my tailgate as a work bench when out traveling. Plus my rear view camera is mounted in the tailgate. Wish it was in the top back of the truck cab but it is not, though sure handy when backing up to my boat hitch.

That web site Fred42 mentioned has several that look good for rear mounting. May have to give them a call.

joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2011 Chevy 3500 DRW Dmax CC 4X4- Rockwood 8281 SS 5th Whl & 2008 Lance 845 TC
www.pajbcooper.com web site
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Tool Box in front of 8' bed
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS